Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 10:59 AM

5 posts, read 36,928 times

Advertisements

I am a single mom with an elementary school age going child. I am looking to relocate from the midwest (lived here 10 years) and buy a foreclosed home or homes priced (below 80k) in Florida this summer. I am more of a surbaban kind of girl but would like to be within proximity of less than 30mins of night life and entertainment. A community close to but not right on the beach is great. Good schools are important and so are children entertainment and sports activities. I have a versatile home business so employment is not a factor. I was also thinking of areas with a higher level of professionals and educated communities and some diversity.....I do have an accent and no its not Spanish. I am ready to finance and move right away if I do find the right place and housing. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 11:59 AM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,140,759 times
I would suggest Tallahassee. The State capital of florida is a great city, it has good schools for your kids, college for later on down the road, and nightlife.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:27 PM

27,188 posts, read 43,886,661 times
If you want to be near the beaches/on the coast look at Melbourne in Brevard County. There are a number of nice single family home options in your price range (mostly short sales/foreclosures) in neighborhoods with good schools (Brevard County schools rank #6 out of 67 counties in Florida). Melbourne has a nice downtown area and decent nightlife options for a city it's size as well as a diverse pool of educated single men due to the presence of NASA and tech companies in the area. There are many recreational opportunities besides the nearby beaches and extensive youth recreation programs. For yet more things to do Orlando is just an hour away.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:39 PM

5 posts, read 36,928 times
Thank you. I was researching both places and Melbourne looks a better option. What about Jacksonville? I have not been anywhere else in Florida apart from Orlando.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:43 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,336,752 times
I agree with Kyle but would extend that into most of Brevard County. I don't know the school research as well as Kyle does but from I've heard Brevard County schools in general are fairly good. Other areas to consider might be Gainesville, just stay out of the student areas. Sarasota/Brandenton could be nice if you can find anything in your price range. And I would look at Seminole County just outside Orlando. Not as close to the beach but it's only about 45 min to beach. More importantly there are alot of short sales/foreclosure homes in your price range and Seminole county tends to have good schools.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maej2004 View Post
Thank you. I was researching both places and Melbourne looks a better option. What about Jacksonville? I have not been anywhere else in Florida apart from Orlando.
Jacksonville has some nice areas but not so much in your price range. I have been researching real estate prices across the state for my own move and feel right now for the money, Melbourne is the best deal in the state in terms of the variety of quality housing, good schools and overall environment of the community.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
I agree with Kyle but would extend that into most of Brevard County. I don't know the school research as well as Kyle does but from I've heard Brevard County schools in general are fairly good. Other areas to consider might be Gainesville, just stay out of the student areas. Sarasota/Brandenton could be nice if you can find anything in your price range. And I would look at Seminole County just outside Orlando. Not as close to the beach but it's only about 45 min to beach. More importantly there are alot of short sales/foreclosure homes in your price range and Seminole county tends to have good schools.
I agree regarding the rest of Brevard County, and would include Titusville as honorable mention behind Melbourne. The newer areas on the south end are pretty nice and have good schools as well. Some love Sarasota/Bradenton but I find the vibe a bit too "old" for my tastes...just my opinion. Gainesville does have some good areas as well but obviously lacks the coastal environment and might be lacking in more adult offerings for a single Mom. I live in Seminole County but don't think it offers much beyond the family-friendly aspect in terms of things to do. In the end, if I had the option to work from home in Florida I sure as heck wouldn't choose an inland location to do so.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:19 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,462,671 times
Get close enough where you can get the Community College and then University schooling in.

You have a lot of options out there, please use them to your advantage! You can get a ton of support right in here if your willing to work.

I lived in Jacksonville and now Tampa. I like the Tallahassee post, but don't know enough about other areas. You don't have to buy either, get a decent place and rent. Get that education and follow that job!!!!

Old 06-26-2012, 11:13 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,928,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maej2004 View Post
I am a single mom with an elementary school age going child. I am looking to relocate from the midwest (lived here 10 years) and buy a foreclosed home or homes priced (below 80k) in Florida this summer. I am more of a surbaban kind of girl but would like to be within proximity of less than 30mins of night life and entertainment. A community close to but not right on the beach is great. Good schools are important and so are children entertainment and sports activities. I have a versatile home business so employment is not a factor. I was also thinking of areas with a higher level of professionals and educated communities and some diversity.....I do have an accent and no its not Spanish. I am ready to finance and move right away if I do find the right place and housing. Thank you.
If you want to be near the beach and close to night life and entertainment, I doubt you'll find a home in a decent area for under $80,000. I can think of several places, but not very near a beach or with a lot of diversity. When you say diversity, you probably mean culturally. Miami is one of the most culturally diverse places in Florida, but the nicer areas are very expensive. I've heard Tallahassee is a great place to live, but I can't make a comment about it, since I've never been there.

Although prices are slowing rising, they're not going to soar anytime soon, and I have a hunch there will be a lot more foreclosures to come. My suggestion is to rent for 6 months to make sure you like an area first before making a commitment.

Some of the cities mentioned have bad sections with high crime, so you need to make sure you buy in a safe neighborhood, especially since you have a child. Just keep in mind a common expression which is "You get what you pay for." If an area is much cheaper than average, ask yourself "Why?"

Old 06-27-2012, 01:05 AM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,140,759 times
Ill follow up with, living near the coast, isn't all its cracked up to be.. You will get lots of tourists always clogging up your city, and home owners insurance is very high!

Not to mention, housing prices skyrocket right next to coast!

You can get a lot more house for the money if you go inland a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida