Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 07:11 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I have several family members and a friend that live in Palm Bay and my dad lives in West Melbourne. He has more money than God. It is not an iffy area by any means. Further, he's a chaplain and has regularly sees the pulse of the community. I've been to the area and stayed there many, many times. I use to live in Orlando as well. What you see on television isn't quite a scientific study of the area. Check the stats on City-Data for great information.

https://www.city-data.com/city/Palm-Bay-Florida.html
Actually if you look at Burglaries and Thefts the numbers are quite high. Because much of Palm Bay is somewhat isolated and doesn't offer much for teens to do, some wind up burglarizing (and vandalizing) for something to do. It's not a Palm Bay problem exclusively, many similar cities have the same issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 12:09 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,203,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I have several family members and a friend that live in Palm Bay and my dad lives in West Melbourne. He has more money than God. It is not an iffy area by any means. Further, he's a chaplain and has regularly sees the pulse of the community. I've been to the area and stayed there many, many times. I use to live in Orlando as well. What you see on television isn't quite a scientific study of the area. Check the stats on City-Data for great information.

https://www.city-data.com/city/Palm-Bay-Florida.html
News is news regardless. When it comes to crimes I think media nor stats represent a true representation, as all crimes don't go reported. Truth of the matter is one is better off going down there seeing for themselves. I mean thats what I would do in any city.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:10 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,203,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Actually if you look at Burglaries and Thefts the numbers are quite high. Because much of Palm Bay is somewhat isolated and doesn't offer much for teens to do, some wind up burglarizing (and vandalizing) for something to do. It's not a Palm Bay problem exclusively, many similar cities have the same issue.
Agreed. Thats why I added "Rough Areas" to indicate that not all of Palm Bay is bad. Very isolated. I know when I stayed in MAscotte, it was not a bad place to live but we as teenagers needed something to do. When we got bored we made trouble.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:28 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Actually, burglaries are at the national average and thefts are below. Palm Bay is no Orlando and I lived in one and frequently visit the other. Orlando news is full of Orlando crime. Frankly, bored kids do not make a crime wave or a very unsafe place to live. I have several cousins that grew up there and a young friend that now lives in Knoxville but spent her first 25 years there. I don't want to divulge too much info but her dad is very well known in the area. It's a very safe place to live. I'm a single mom and I'd move there in a heartbeat. Not that I don't love where I live now. I do. But if I had to move to Florida, Palm Bay and Melbourne would be at the top of my list. No dog in the hunt, just my humble opinion.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:00 AM

168 posts, read 394,764 times
I am a single Mom with older kids and am relocating to the Gainesville area. UF, Santa Fe are our destination but I have always loved the Gainesville area. I have been told overall it is boring if you are not a college student but I have been looking for 'home' for the past six weeks. I think Haile Plantation is VERY cool. Professionals to families to elderly all live there. It is a community within a community not far from UF and Santa Fe, Shands etc. The unemployment rate is very low for the economic challenges facing most. The elementary schools and middle schools are top rated and the IB program in Haile has been rated number 1, in the entire country. The people are warm and friendly and Haile gives a feeling of down home. The only negative to what you mentioned is it isn't 'really' close to the beach. BUT you are half way between Cedar Key and maybe Daytona, St Augustine area so it is a not too far drive to the Gulf of Mexico and Atlantic; I like that b/c you are inland enough to not get a direct hit from hurricanes (which I don't worry about too much). If you are looking for a long term secure place to live I'd encourage you to check out Haile Plantation Gainesville FL. I have a really good realtor; there are a few (very few) foreclosures in Haile but if you want her info email me and I'll give you her number and name. I did see a beautiful and immaculate condo for $91k yesterday but it is on the third floor, with no elevator. My budget is under $100k and I looked at a few yesterday. Also, the Newberry area near 122nd/91st is nice (town of Tioga area) but I thought Haile was more hometown feeling. Hope this helps! =D

Old 06-29-2012, 04:02 AM

168 posts, read 394,764 times
Oh, also...I live in Citrus county which has low crime rate and passable schools; the Lecanto schools are good with an IB program in the high school (I am not fond of IB but it shows academic success for a school). Housing is VERY affordable and being on the nature coast you are near water, the springs and the Gulf. There are some good people here but I wouldn't call it very friendly and it is more with the philosophy of each man out for himself (in business). Dunellon is a short distance and is decent as well.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:18 AM

1 posts, read 2,895 times
whatever you do dont come to port st lucie fl. im a single mom of 3 kids recently divorced. its boring and not the place for a single person its more family oriented and most of the people here are rude...im looking to move ASAP. can you imagine i have to leave st lucie county to go to broward or west palm to have a lil fun with my kids???? its a shame.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:57 AM

19 posts, read 28,900 times
According to me Orlando is really a great and calm place for live in Florida. People are also nice and helpful in Orlando.
SO you can easily live there without any problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida