Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 01:00 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,390,880 times

Advertisements

I like this version of leftee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 02:57 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,034,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
And no mosquitoes there, right ? Lots of ocean/gulf breezes I'll bet, huh ?
And I would be willing to bet I could find a cookie-cutter development pretty close to where you snapped that photo ...
Show me where mosquitos do NOT live in FL.
No, you wouldnt be able to snap a pic of a cookie-cutter development within 15 miles of where that pic was taken.
Try again.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:47 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,955,532 times
Quote:
You bet they do, but the difference is they are NEXT to the beach, not next to some alligator-infested, mosquito-laden, amoeba-filled swamp. Or worse yet, right next to another cookie-cutter army barracks with no charm whatsoever.

Is that your boat or your house in the background ? I didn't know there was a wake-boarding "culture" here in Orlando. I thought wake-boarding could be done in any decent-sized body of water, not just those here in Florida. Is the wake-boarding culture similar to the California surfing culture of the 60s-70s ? I've never heard anyone refer to it as a culture ...
No that was not my house or boat in that photo, but the aerial of Lake Brantley in suburban Altamonte Springs does show the canal and house I grew up in.

You are also correct that wakeboarding can be done in any decent-sized body of water. Heck who knows, maybe Lake Erie will become the new mecca for the sport one day. As for the size of Orlando's wake boarding culture compared to California's surfing culture...who cares. That had nothing to do with my point that Orlando is a hot bed for pro wakeboarders and that I grew up enjoying the sport as an amenity of living in horrible inland Florida.

Below is a link to an article about the Wake Games and it briefly references Orlando's wakeboarding culture. The Soven family mentioned in the blip about a new reality show are from the Orlando area and were neighbors who I grew up with, not as close friends, but certainly acquaintances. So please stop acting like you know everything about something you admitted to knowing nothing about.

Selection Reminder: Nautique Wake Games kick off tomorrow! | Orlando Weekly Blogs

Oh and here's 4x world champion Shaun Murray (also from O-town) talking about his sport for a visit Florida spot in which he also makes the claim as to Orlando being the center of the sport:

How to Do Florida: Wakeboarding - YouTube

Oh and then our wakeboarding culture was featured throughout the 2008 motion picture Never Back Down:
Never Back Down HD Full Movie - YouTube

But my favorite line in this cheesy fight film with all the obligatory Karate Kid cliches is the part where the main character is asked how he's liking Orlando so far and the consensus is "chicks in bikini's year round" can't be that bad. Take a 30 sec gander if you will:
Never Back Down HD Full Movie - YouTube

Last edited by OrlFlaUsa; 05-07-2012 at 10:57 PM..

Old 05-08-2012, 06:53 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,205,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
So please stop acting like you know everything about something you admitted to knowing nothing about.
And don't care to know anything about ... but promoting "wakeboarding" as a culture in Orlando when a few hundred people practice the sport and there happens to be a world champion from here. C'mon ... there are probably more people who play ice hockey in central Florida, but nobody speaks of it as a "culture" and there are ex-NHL players living in Orlando. Same with golf ...

Old 05-08-2012, 01:41 PM

2,168 posts, read 5,059,415 times
Quote:
You bet they do, but the difference is they are NEXT to the beach, not next to some alligator-infested, mosquito-laden, amoeba-filled swamp. Or worse yet, right next to another cookie-cutter army barracks with no charm whatsoever.
1. Most South Florida living is in cookie-cutter, gated communities several miles off the coast. You cannot tell me that South Florida is any more charming to drive around than the Orlando area.
2. The Everglades is next to every city in South Florida...so much for not being next to a swamp.
3. Alligators stalk every community pond in South Florida. I highly doubt there are more alligators in Orlando.
4. The ocean breeze is vastly overrated in the summer. You sweat you ass off down there, period...I don't care if it's 2 degrees cooler or a bit more breezy. Talk to me in the months from November through April, when Orlando is much more comfortable than South Florida.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:39 PM

85 posts, read 159,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
1. Most South Florida living is in cookie-cutter, gated communities several miles off the coast. You cannot tell me that South Florida is any more charming to drive around than the Orlando area.
2. The Everglades is next to every city in South Florida...so much for not being next to a swamp.
3. Alligators stalk every community pond in South Florida. I highly doubt there are more alligators in Orlando.
4. The ocean breeze is vastly overrated in the summer. You sweat you ass off down there, period...I don't care if it's 2 degrees cooler or a bit more breezy. Talk to me in the months from November through April, when Orlando is much more comfortable than South Florida.
Orlando was built in a swamp not next to a swamp... You say all this yet do not refute her/his point that south florida is next to the beach... Why did you leave that one out?

As to my original post I think it would be a better question to ask why would build a city in the state of florida not next to a beach? I mean you establish a giant city in the very middle of a peninsula farthest away from all the tropical beaches? How does Orlando even have a historical part wouldn't people in history all get malaria if they live in an inland tropical setting? Also please do not give me hurricane BS I'm from cape fear/wilmington, nc area... You can come see where blackbeard drank his rum and fared fine in the storms

Old 05-08-2012, 02:56 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,870,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
I think anywhere you're comfortable is the best place to live. But, I have to admit, once salt water gets in your blood, fresh water can't wash it away.
Unless you're talking the Great Lakes. If we won the lottery, I'd so be up for spending summers on Lake Michigan near Traverse City/Petoskey/Charlevoix.

As for Orlando, it got its start as an agricultural crossroads, and then got a nice boost as a military town before the giant rat set up shop. I really like the north side of Orlando and Winter Park- nice homes from a variety or architectural eras, the inland lakes, and a general good use of mature landscaping. It really doesn't take much looking on that side of town to find 'The City Beautiful'.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtransplant37 View Post
Orlando was built in a swamp not next to a swamp... You say all this yet do not refute her/his point that south florida is next to the beach... Why did you leave that one out?

As to my original post I think it would be a better question to ask why would build a city in the state of florida not next to a beach? I mean you establish a giant city in the very middle of a peninsula farthest away from all the tropical beaches? How does Orlando even have a historical part wouldn't people in history all get malaria if they live in an inland tropical setting? Also please do not give me hurricane BS I'm from cape fear/wilmington, nc area... You can come see where blackbeard drank his rum and fared fine in the storms
Orlando is 45 minutes away from the closest beach, 30 minutes if theres not much traffic and the cops arent out.
As far as your comment about Wilmington, guess you forgot about St Augustine.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:05 PM

85 posts, read 159,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Orlando is 45 minutes away from the closest beach, 30 minutes if theres not much traffic and the cops arent out.
As far as your comment about Wilmington, guess you forgot about St Augustine.
St. Augustine is an inland city? I had no idea!

Old 05-08-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtransplant37 View Post
St. Augustine is an inland city? I had no idea!
Oy vey.
When did they move Wilmington inland?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida