Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 04:59 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,896,858 times

Advertisements

To avoid being wiped out by a tsunami or have the worst of hurricanes hit you.Also being a theme park person I would definitely prefer to live in Orlando than a coastal city,I'm also actually happier at a waterpark than the beach.The only negative of an inland city like Orlando is how much hotter it gets in the summer than the coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 05:01 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Well, I am a native Floridian and I LOVE living in a coastal city! I have lived in coastal and inland cities at different times and for different reasons, and while I enjoyed the lovely inland cities I lived in (Dade City and Lakeland) I completely LOVE being coastal, and will never be far from the coast again for the rest of my life! I just love the look and smell of the salty air/water and sand, it is food for my soul. Plus it's just a bit cooler near the coast, we always have a breeze at my house.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:17 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,387,154 times
The only reason I'd move inland would be for a great job. Otherwise, I don't see the point.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:41 PM

334 posts, read 1,151,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtransplant37 View Post
This is like saying you live in philly and have the jersey shore....

No I am asking if you are not a beach/boating/scuba diving/surfing offshore fishing person why would you move to a tropical climate? If you are why would you move to a city where you can't have a boat slip to go out on sundays or be out of the inlet by 6am?

I mean people move here and complain about the heat when they have never set foot on a beach for 6 months let alone a boat?

Also please please please don't try and tell me central florida has varying topography I already think orlando is fake and plastic....
There are appeals to tropical climates other than the ocean. Some people like myself just don't like the cold. Besides, inland there are swimming pools, cold water springs for swimming, tubing, and cave diving, numerous lakes for boating and fishing, plenty of shady rivers and creeks for kayaking, etc. I live near the beach, don't own a boat except a pair of kayaks, and often find myself going inland for hiking, camping, geocaching, and other outdoorsy activities. I've never been out fishing in the ocean and deep sea fishing holds no real interest to me. I want a boat, but mainly to tool around the Indian River with and do things like water skiing. I could easily do that someplace like Lake Kissimmee or Lake Apopka if I lived out that way.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:41 PM

663 posts, read 1,144,695 times
Since moving to Fl,I have always lived near the beach, bu never went to it. I recently moved 4 blocks to the beach and now I am on it everyday. I take my daily walks on he beach, run, people watch or just kill time. I would never get in the car to go to the beach, but now that it's part of my neighborhood, I spend way more time there then I would have ever thought.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:49 PM

22 posts, read 66,494 times
You'll see the point when you have to pay $5,000 in insurance premiums on your home because the only company that will insure you is Citizen's.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:56 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,387,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathwhiz View Post
You'll see the point when you have to pay $5,000 in insurance premiums on your home because the only company that will insure you is Citizen's.

Given the higher insurance premiums or the prospect of living in FL's interior, all else being equal, I'll take the coast.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:55 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,141,935 times
Well, some people are born in cities that are non coastal.... Also you will find, that once you are a local... Beach towns are a pain in the butt with the tourists clogging up your attractions, adding traffic, and all of that.

Anywhere in Florida is close enough to a beach, its just a tropical state.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:18 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtransplant37 View Post
This is like saying you live in philly and have the jersey shore....

No I am asking if you are not a beach/boating/scuba diving/surfing offshore fishing person why would you move to a tropical climate? If you are why would you move to a city where you can't have a boat slip to go out on sundays or be out of the inlet by 6am?

I mean people move here and complain about the heat when they have never set foot on a beach for 6 months let alone a boat?

Also please please please don't try and tell me central florida has varying topography I already think orlando is fake and plastic....
I am not a beach, scuba, surfing, offshore fishing person but i will go out on a boat once in a while.
Am I not allowed in Florida?
Florida is not all beaches and boating. I love the weather here. There are also the glades, forests etc for those that like the outdoors.

You just have some ridiculous thoughts about Florida and know nothing about the state.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:42 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
The people who willingly move inland in Florida have few interests it seems other than theme parks and are attracted to newly built suburbs (cookie cutter houses, WalMart/strip center shopping and chain/fast food restaurants). That's my observation anyway having lived in both settings. Most of the coastal cities in Florida are more diverse in terms of housing (more established older housing stock) and things to do which probably doesn't appeal to the less sophisticated tastes of those who find new and generic more appealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida