Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 06:49 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,201,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The people who willingly move inland in Florida have few interests it seems other than theme parks and are attracted to newly built suburbs (cookie cutter houses, WalMart/strip center shopping and chain/fast food restaurants). That's my observation anyway having lived in both settings. Most of the coastal cities in Florida are more diverse in terms of housing (more established older housing stock) and things to do which probably doesn't appeal to the less sophisticated tastes of those who find new and generic more appealing.
Kyle, your non-political posts are starting to grow on me ... bravo for telling it like it is ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 07:24 AM

17,538 posts, read 39,160,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The people who willingly move inland in Florida have few interests it seems other than theme parks and are attracted to newly built suburbs (cookie cutter houses, WalMart/strip center shopping and chain/fast food restaurants). That's my observation anyway having lived in both settings. Most of the coastal cities in Florida are more diverse in terms of housing (more established older housing stock) and things to do which probably doesn't appeal to the less sophisticated tastes of those who find new and generic more appealing.
Having lived in both settings myself I totally agree with you. That is why I love living here in Sarasota so much, it's night and day from living in Lakeland in every way, not just being near the coast. Much higher quality EVERYTHING here for me. Gonna have to blast me outta here...... LOL!

Old 05-02-2012, 08:31 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,372,321 times
Why not ask the 9,000 people who live at The Villages? The answer for most is probably, "Golf."

Old 05-02-2012, 12:37 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,207,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtransplant37 View Post
This is like saying you live in philly and have the jersey shore....

No I am asking if you are not a beach/boating/scuba diving/surfing offshore fishing person why would you move to a tropical climate? If you are why would you move to a city where you can't have a boat slip to go out on sundays or be out of the inlet by 6am?

I mean people move here and complain about the heat when they have never set foot on a beach for 6 months let alone a boat?

Also please please please don't try and tell me central florida has varying topography I already think orlando is fake and plastic....
Orlando doesn't represent central Florida. Central Florida does have varying topography from the hillS of lake county,to the shores of the coast back to the sprawling lake infested inlands you transplant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom1001 View Post
To avoid being wiped out by a tsunami or have the worst of hurricanes hit you.Also being a theme park person I would definitely prefer to live in Orlando than a coastal city,I'm also actually happier at a waterpark than the beach.The only negative of an inland city like Orlando is how much hotter it gets in the summer than the coast.
same here I would rather live inland and take daytrips to the beach
Hell water parks are cleaner and more exciting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
Well, some people are born in cities that are non coastal.... Also you will find, that once you are a local... Beach towns are a pain in the butt with the tourists clogging up your attractions, adding traffic, and all of that.

Anywhere in Florida is close enough to a beach, its just a tropical state.
great post. Florida is quick access to the beach, and Orlando is home. I only Go to the beach once or twice a year anyhow and it's nothing fun in beach cities besides the beach

Old 05-02-2012, 04:49 PM

5,029 posts, read 7,233,666 times
I kind of agree with the OP about non-coastal CITIES, but if your looking for some acreage or a less crowded environment, you almost have to go inland. I lived in rural Columbia County for a couple of years and had a blast in the woods and on the rivers.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:37 PM

2,962 posts, read 5,003,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInGreenville View Post
You can start with the cost of insurance. It takes me 40 minutes to get to the beach. l?
How much is insurance in Orlando? I live 2 miles from the beach and my ins. is $1200

Last edited by Keeper; 05-03-2012 at 05:43 AM..

Old 05-02-2012, 08:57 PM

13,626 posts, read 7,954,764 times
I don't care for the beach. I much prefer inland Florida. There is agriculture, woods, and better wildlife. Not as many transplants or snowbirds either.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:33 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,207,854 times
Moderator cut: orphaned posts
Well San Diego is an exception, it's a very well rounded city in the sense of smart planning! But assuming the op was speaking about Florida,I will support my statement. In California beach cities are awesome and vary in activity. Not so much in Florida. Yes I been to ft Lauderdale why? Compared to Orlando there is not much to do in broward besides the beach. I stayed in lauderhill dania beach Lauderdale lakes etc down there. Beach cities in Florida are just the beach. Tampa is not even a beach city it's a city on a huge bay so the actual gulf coast beaches, being in pinellas there is not much to do unless you head inland. Inland you have woods swamp fields and cattle theme Parks, Parks in general, more than the beach that is. The only exception for Florida beach cities would be key west or south beach

Last edited by Keeper; 05-03-2012 at 05:44 AM..

Old 05-02-2012, 10:39 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,129,640 times
I have not read this thread. But to answer your question.... NOPE.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:22 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times
For some it might be job location,others may just not be into beaches,still others may think any place in Fla is on the beach..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida