Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 10:57 AM

19 posts, read 35,713 times

Advertisements

I am just wondering what the difference between theses areas is? Does one have better schools, does one have more to do, does one have more job? Are they both part of brevard county?

We are moving to Florida and want to live in that area. We are a young couple (28&32) with a 15 year old daughter who will be a sophmore next year.

Any input on theses areas and the towns in the area would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 01:43 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,996,506 times
I was talking to a friend from Tampa. He said the job market is a little better there. Employ Florida has quite a few listings for welders in Tampa.

http://www.employflorida.com

Old 04-28-2012, 02:20 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,615,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattiejean57 View Post
I am just wondering what the difference between theses areas is? Does one have better schools, does one have more to do, does one have more job? Are they both part of brevard county?
No, they are not. Brevard County is apart of Space Coast and the Treasure Coast is separated into 3 different counties. St. Lucie, Martin, & Indian River. And it could technically be four counties because of Palm Beach County's Jupiter.

The Space Coast is kinda old florida. I would avoid it. There are no jobs up there whatsoever. I wouldn't say there is an abundance of jobs in Treasure Coast either but it's better than Space Coast. Treasure Coast has better, newer, schools and infrastructure. I just came from living in Martin County for a little bit. I never realized how wealthy the area is. The schools are A+ rated and there are lots of shops, restaurants, and nice beaches.

Quote:
We are moving to Florida and want to live in that area. We are a young couple (28&32) with a 15 year old daughter who will be a sophmore next year.

Any input on theses areas and the towns in the area would be greatly appreciated!
I would definitely recommend Jensen Beach or Stuart for you. They have the TOP schools in treasure coasts. And it's a nice quality of life out there too.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:40 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
No, they are not. Brevard County is apart of Space Coast and the Treasure Coast is separated into 3 different counties. St. Lucie, Martin, & Indian River. And it could technically be four counties because of Palm Beach County's Jupiter.

The Space Coast is kinda old florida. I would avoid it. There are no jobs up there whatsoever. I wouldn't say there is an abundance of jobs in Treasure Coast either but it's better than Space Coast. Treasure Coast has better, newer, schools and infrastructure. I just came from living in Martin County for a little bit. I never realized how wealthy the area is. The schools are A+ rated and there are lots of shops, restaurants, and nice beaches.

I would definitely recommend Jensen Beach or Stuart for you. They have the TOP schools in treasure coasts. And it's a nice quality of life out there too.
Actually this suggestion is full of holes and not factual. In terms of jobs Brevard County isn't much different from the rest of Florida with the unemployment rate dropping to 10% while Florida overall is 9.4%(as well as Martin County) and St Lucie County which is allegedly better sits at 10.7%. In terms of schools, newer doesn't equal better which is kind of a odd take on a quality measure. The much larger Brevard County School system (72,000 students versus Martin County's 18,000) ranks #8 in the state and it's oldest high schools for example (Satellite Beach HS and Cocoa Beach HS) have been A-rated for umpteen years. Martin County ranks #3 in the state due to a small population and only three high schools for example, versus Brevard's seventeen. If the OP is looking for a more balanced middle class existence for themselves and their children versus an upper middle class/"rich kid" school experience, Brevard County would be my recommendation.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:41 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,168,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Actually this suggestion is full of holes and not factual. In terms of jobs Brevard County isn't much different from the rest of Florida with the unemployment rate dropping to 10% while Florida overall is 9.4%(as well as Martin County) and St Lucie County which is allegedly better sits at 10.7%. In terms of schools, newer doesn't equal better which is kind of a odd take on a quality measure. The much larger Brevard County School system (72,000 students versus Martin County's 18,000) ranks #8 in the state and it's oldest high schools for example (Satellite Beach HS and Cocoa Beach HS) have been A-rated for umpteen years. Martin County ranks #3 in the state due to a small population and only three high schools for example, versus Brevard's seventeen. If the OP is looking for a more balanced middle class existence for themselves and their children versus an upper middle class/"rich kid" school experience, Brevard County would be my recommendation.
Kyle, for the month of March-unemployment in Brevard County finally beat the double digit. We are now at 9.5 so it is starting to go down.

And I kind of take offense tothe phrase " old school Florida"....we just aren't concrete Florida yet like the South Counties on the ocean. You can still enjoy space here. Actually that is a pun----2 kinds of space..... We are not just a county that is only for the tourists like a lot of areas...we have high tech industries and our parent associations in most of the schools have many many engineers, computer wiz's etc. and moms of a good share of kids are college grads, too. Almost everyone I know is a college grad....

Old 04-29-2012, 12:51 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,316,716 times
Treasure Coast is less nice IMO. Brevard has much more going on and is closer to Orlando. Plus you have some industry there. in the treasure coat, you have retirement central with vero beach and ft pierce is run pretty run down. The Indian river lagoon stretches through both areas and is quite breathtaking

Old 04-29-2012, 01:50 PM

732 posts, read 968,457 times
I would not want to get any agruments going. There is good in all. I live in Brevard now, but previously in S FL, and also just north of here. At one time I even commuted weekly down to S. FL from Ormond Beach on a real good job I had for 6 months. Anyway it is hard to make any brag about Brevard right now. I knew dozens of small and start up engineering companies here in Brevard at one time, that every single one is gone that I have looked up. All of them died so Brevard could not make them a go. At same time, driving through and past the "treasure coast" I tried finding companies to do jobs and never saw any engineering co's to do much for at all except S. FL up to Jupiter, then in Brevard-Orlando-Daytona, but never Treasure coast.

So take your pick there is not much true higher end jobs like true export based engineering (non defense commerical product) in Brevard, nor were there much in Treasure coast. Both situation need improvement right now. I also am a big fan of agriculture, and I would just assume we have a strech like treasure coast left for oranges and leave the tech in Brevard-Orlando, and also in S. FL.

Brevards small enclaves of Defense companies do not count in my mind, they sell only to US government, employ based upon insiders and buddies, have huge overhead, and do not export. So I leave them out.

I dunno, there is little to brag about folks. If you know or have your own company, go out looking for companies to do jobs for, you tell me where there are, the east coast is pretty pinched folks.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:55 PM

19 posts, read 35,713 times
Hmm so interesting responses here.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:33 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,996,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Treasure Coast is less nice IMO. Brevard has much more going on and is closer to Orlando. Plus you have some industry there. in the treasure coat, you have retirement central with vero beach and ft pierce is run pretty run down. The Indian river lagoon stretches through both areas and is quite breathtaking
Treasure Coast is less nice? You're kidding right?

Old 04-29-2012, 09:37 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,316,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
Treasure Coast is less nice? You're kidding right?
Um no. Have you been to Vero? It's god's waiting room. People make jokes about FL all the time in that regard, but certain parts of FL take the cake as retiree central. I'd include Sebring in that list too.

And I know the locals joke around about Ft Pierce and call it "Port Fierce" as it's a pretty rough area. If the space coast took a hit after the recession, treasure coast got completely demolished.

Sorry, but for what the OP is looking for (Schools, jobs, things to do), Space Coast >>>> Treasure Coast. The treasure coast is equally far from south FL and Orlando, while Space coast is within an hour's drive of the Orlando area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida