Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 09:03 AM

16 posts, read 50,149 times

Advertisements

I am starting life over at 42 and I have twins who will start kindergarten in the fall. I think my situation is a little different than I have been reading about in the past year. I did not lose my job or my house due to the economy, but because of a divorce. We had to sell our house, not because we were under water but my husband decided to chuck it all for another woman. After 20 years together and a business that we owned for many years, it is gone for me and I have no livelihood to return to...........husband still owns our business in Orlando and was so very generous to employ the girlfriend he dumped me and our children for. Unfortunately, the privilege and honor I had to stay at home and raise my kids has now become a huge liability in finding a job since I have now been out of the work force for 5 years and really starting at ground zero. Kids will be in school in the fall, and I have an opportunity to go back to school too. My husband chose no involvement in helping to raise our children so I said good-bye to Orlando for many personal reasons.

I am looking to buy a house but not sure where. I am very interested in the Sarasota area, but have also been looking on the Space Coast (I live on Merritt Island temporarily) I guess I am trying to fulfill everything on my "wish list" and that has been really hard. I'd like to buy a newer home under $200,000, great schools for my kids, plenty of amenities for children, school for me (community/tech college or career training??), very safe areas and good medical care. I don't mind driving 20 to 30 minutes to get to any of these amenities.

I am no spring chicken and I do not want to move around at this point in my life. I am determined to look for a place to set down roots and stability for my kids. I am not interested in renting from place to place. The short term goal for school for myself is to come out with a decent paying job first (don't know what yet......whatever is in demand), then later, pick up Art courses (and possibly a second Degree) or for personal enrichment. Once upon a time, long ago, art and design was my passion and gave it all up, that is not practical at the moment. But, it would be nice to live in an area that provides classes for that as well. Though, my BIGGEST priority is offering the best life I can possibly give my children. My kids well being and future is first and foremost.

I have considered moving back to Canada where my entire family still lives (and where I am originally from) but I have now lived in Florida for nearly 18 years and this is home for me. Visiting my family in the dead of winter during icy, grey and dreary days confirmed that I am a true Floridian....

I don't need any Florida bashing, I have been very fortunate to see and live some of the best Florida has to offer and I KNOW there is MORE wonderful to experience. I am also aware of Florida's negatives. I am just incredibly confused about where to start over and want to start school when my children start school. The thought of going back to school at my age scares the crap out of me, yet I think it is HILARIOUS that my kids will start Kindergarten while I start College when I turn 43. We can all sit around the kitchen table and do homework together

I have read extensively on North Port.....looks good....my concerns are schools and medical care??
Sarasota looks good but no newer homes in my price range. Merritt Island looks good but medical care is far and no school for ME, nearby. Also thinking of Melbourne which has some great schools for my children but lacks in other areas. I guess I was very spoiled because the area I lived in Orlando was very ideal for raising children and had everything else I needed, but can no longer afford (financially and personally) to go back. The future of our schools in this current economy also makes it difficult to decide.

Once I narrow down my locations on the Gulf Coast, I can come for a look in the next 2 months.

Any input would be terrific!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 09:48 AM

569 posts, read 1,673,780 times
It depends on what you do for a living. These areas don't offer much workwise especially Melbourne. If you are into restaurant or retail then you will be fine wherever. I would probably go back to Canada and get a good job in the oil industry. I hear it is booming up there paying huge salaries and they can't find enough workers. I wouldn't let the weather sway you. Too many people end up giving up their dreams and sacrificing in Florida just for the weather. It's not worth it in the long run. You could always come back when you retire and you have lots of money you made elsewhere. The sunshine won't pay the bills.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:05 AM

17,614 posts, read 39,359,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2twindolls View Post
I am starting life over at 42 and I have twins who will start kindergarten in the fall. I think my situation is a little different than I have been reading about in the past year. I did not lose my job or my house due to the economy, but because of a divorce. We had to sell our house, not because we were under water but my husband decided to chuck it all for another woman. After 20 years together and a business that we owned for many years, it is gone for me and I have no livelihood to return to...........husband still owns our business in Orlando and was so very generous to employ the girlfriend he dumped me and our children for. Unfortunately, the privilege and honor I had to stay at home and raise my kids has now become a huge liability in finding a job since I have now been out of the work force for 5 years and really starting at ground zero. Kids will be in school in the fall, and I have an opportunity to go back to school too. My husband chose no involvement in helping to raise our children so I said good-bye to Orlando for many personal reasons.

I am looking to buy a house but not sure where. I am very interested in the Sarasota area, but have also been looking on the Space Coast (I live on Merritt Island temporarily) I guess I am trying to fulfill everything on my "wish list" and that has been really hard. I'd like to buy a newer home under $200,000, great schools for my kids, plenty of amenities for children, school for me (community/tech college or career training??), very safe areas and good medical care. I don't mind driving 20 to 30 minutes to get to any of these amenities.

I am no spring chicken and I do not want to move around at this point in my life. I am determined to look for a place to set down roots and stability for my kids. I am not interested in renting from place to place. The short term goal for school for myself is to come out with a decent paying job first (don't know what yet......whatever is in demand), then later, pick up Art courses (and possibly a second Degree) or for personal enrichment. Once upon a time, long ago, art and design was my passion and gave it all up, that is not practical at the moment. But, it would be nice to live in an area that provides classes for that as well. Though, my BIGGEST priority is offering the best life I can possibly give my children. My kids well being and future is first and foremost.

I have considered moving back to Canada where my entire family still lives (and where I am originally from) but I have now lived in Florida for nearly 18 years and this is home for me. Visiting my family in the dead of winter during icy, grey and dreary days confirmed that I am a true Floridian....

I don't need any Florida bashing, I have been very fortunate to see and live some of the best Florida has to offer and I KNOW there is MORE wonderful to experience. I am also aware of Florida's negatives. I am just incredibly confused about where to start over and want to start school when my children start school. The thought of going back to school at my age scares the crap out of me, yet I think it is HILARIOUS that my kids will start Kindergarten while I start College when I turn 43. We can all sit around the kitchen table and do homework together

I have read extensively on North Port.....looks good....my concerns are schools and medical care??
Sarasota looks good but no newer homes in my price range. Merritt Island looks good but medical care is far and no school for ME, nearby. Also thinking of Melbourne which has some great schools for my children but lacks in other areas. I guess I was very spoiled because the area I lived in Orlando was very ideal for raising children and had everything else I needed, but can no longer afford (financially and personally) to go back. The future of our schools in this current economy also makes it difficult to decide.

Once I narrow down my locations on the Gulf Coast, I can come for a look in the next 2 months.

Any input would be terrific!!
First and foremost, you need to have a job, and as much as I love living here in the Sarasota area, the job market is terrible, and you say you aren't even sure what kind of job you want. North port will be even worse. The area here is wonderful and would fulfill everything else you want IF you can get that job! I can't stress enough how important this is. If you want to stay in Florida, figure the job thing out first. Are you sure you can't stay in Orlando - I would think a bigger city would offer more employment opportunities than the other small cities and towns you mentioned. You may find out that going back to Canada is your best bet at this time, especially since you have family for moral support.

I am truly sorry for what has happened to you, that is really a rough situation he put you in. I wish you the best of luck.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:34 AM

psouth
Quote:
I would probably go back to Canada and get a good job in the oil industry. I hear it is booming up there paying huge salaries and they can't find enough workers. I wouldn't let the weather sway you. Too many people end up giving up their dreams and sacrificing in Florida just for the weather. It's not worth it in the long run. You could always come back when you retire and you have lots of money you made elsewhere. The sunshine won't pay the bills.
Well, I am originally from an area in Canada that relied heavily on the auto industry and that entire city has been affected. Think closest Canadian proximity to Detroit My siblings and some of their spouses are all college graduates in specialized fields but the auto industry is now gone and many of its supporting industries are gone too. My brother lives in Ontario and commutes 40 minutes each way to Michigan 5 days a week on a specialized work visa and has done that for the last 5 years and he is considering buying a home in that state. I have a brother-in-law that lives more than 2 hours away from my sister and their 3 kids (in Ontario) during the week in cheap shared housing to continue working for Ford until he is laid off this summer. He comes home on the week-ends. I have other relatives that are coming to Florida to buy property for when they retire in a in a couple years. The area I am from is not an ideal situation, except that family is there.....I love my family, but that doesn't pay the bills either. Just want to share a different perspective that it is NOT just Florida that is bad. I won't even get into the complications of taxes, child support/visitation issues between 2 countries, and the fact that I want to keep my permanent resident legal status. Very complicated....

Also, weather is a big deal for a lot of people. I know many that suffer from S.A.D. during the winter months and not fun for my father who has very painful arthritis.

Thanks, though!

Old 04-24-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
First and foremost, you need to have a job, and as much as I love living here in the Sarasota area, the job market is terrible, and you say you aren't even sure what kind of job you want. North port will be even worse. The area here is wonderful and would fulfill everything else you want IF you can get that job! I can't stress enough how important this is. If you want to stay in Florida, figure the job thing out first. Are you sure you can't stay in Orlando - I would think a bigger city would offer more employment opportunities than the other small cities and towns you mentioned. You may find out that going back to Canada is your best bet at this time, especially since you have family for moral support.

I am truly sorry for what has happened to you, that is really a rough situation he put you in. I wish you the best of luck.
Thank you!!. I realize the job situation and no one will consider hiring me.....I have not worked in 5 years. I was "suppose" to return to work for our business when our twins started school.....that's not going to happen now!! Our business wasn't big enough for me and my husband's girlfriend to work at

Sorry, don't think I was very clear on my longwinded post I do not need a job for awhile. Although, I am not happy about my divorce and I am not happy that we left a wonderful area ,my point is, it is not critical for me to find a full time job for the next few years....which is why I'm hoping to go back and learn a new trade for a decent job at the end of it Or I can really pi** my soon to be ex-husband off and just open my own business identical to what was once "ours" Just kidding!!

Thank You

Last edited by mom2twindolls; 04-24-2009 at 12:27 PM..

Old 04-24-2009, 12:08 PM

10,189 posts, read 20,856,282 times
You might be able to find work on Patrick AFB as a civilian or contractor. The hiring process for contractors is much quicker than the government civilian side. There are always jobs in administrative capacities or even custodial work you can do on military installations. You have to research which contractors work on Patrick. There are also bases on the Gulf Coast you can look for work as well...Eglin AFB, Hurlburt Field, Tyndall, MacDill etc.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:47 PM

113 posts, read 518,753 times
Wow! I am in almost the exact same situation as you. I am a 43 year old male soon to be divorced that is looking into either the space coast or Sarasota area. My sister owns a condo in Bradenton and eventually she will be living there full time. The last time down she introduced me to several of her friends and inlaws that live down there so that on that side I would have some people I would know. I like the gulfside. The beaches are beautiful but I worry it's more of a retirement crowd gulfside. I've been to Canada and it is beautiful. But no way could I deal with that cold for any money. South Carolina is too cold for me in the winter!

Old 04-24-2009, 03:08 PM

831 posts, read 2,445,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehawk View Post
Wow! I am in almost the exact same situation as you. I am a 43 year old male soon to be divorced that is looking into either the space coast or Sarasota area. My sister owns a condo in Bradenton and eventually she will be living there full time. The last time down she introduced me to several of her friends and inlaws that live down there so that on that side I would have some people I would know. I like the gulfside. The beaches are beautiful but I worry it's more of a retirement crowd gulfside. I've been to Canada and it is beautiful. But no way could I deal with that cold for any money. South Carolina is too cold for me in the winter!

I was in a similar situation as the op. I now live in Sarasota, and I am in the same age group as you and the op. I can tell you that yes there are retired people here but its not overwhelming. IMO the middle age group exceeds the elderly. This could just be the area I live in too.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:43 PM

569 posts, read 1,673,780 times
If you don't have a job now then waiting a few years or a lifetime in Florida will not help. The Florida job market is pitiful. The only way would be for you to go to school for a few years for a high demand occupation like nursing or something else in the medical profession. Then you would have a fair shot. The job market is not good anywhere in Florida and companies aren't exactly planning on relocating here in the future. It's a strange employment atmosphere to say the least. Again don't give up your dreams of a promising future just for the weather. Florida does not change.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:58 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,353,789 times
* If there are oil jobs paying that much in Canada then you would see a massive flooding of the Florida haters moving to Canada to get those jobs.

Why not start the same business you had with him on your own?

If he was making it then you can to.

Can this business be done in any town?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida