Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 01:38 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,200,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattiejean57 View Post
I am just wondering what the difference between theses areas is? Does one have better schools, does one have more to do, does one have more job? Are they both part of brevard county?

We are moving to Florida and want to live in that area. We are a young couple (28&32) with a 15 year old daughter who will be a sophmore next year.

Any input on theses areas and the towns in the area would be greatly appreciated!

Uhh just try different areas in general!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 06:21 AM

2,962 posts, read 4,995,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Um no. Have you been to Vero? It's god's waiting room. People make jokes about FL all the time in that regard, but certain parts of FL take the cake as retiree central. I'd include Sebring in that list too.

And I know the locals joke around about Ft Pierce and call it "Port Fierce" as it's a pretty rough area. If the space coast took a hit after the recession, treasure coast got completely demolished.

Sorry, but for what the OP is looking for (Schools, jobs, things to do), Space Coast >>>> Treasure Coast. The treasure coast is equally far from south FL and Orlando, while Space coast is within an hour's drive of the Orlando area.
You are aware that Brevard has Palm Bay and Barefoot bay, Etc Etc. which are less nice than Vero and are also retiree communities. Cocoa has a worse crime rate than Ft. Pierce. I don't really want to get in a playground brawl, but statements like yours show a lack of reasoning. Of course you totally ignored the fact the the Martin School District, which is one of the best in the state , is on the treasure coast. Lots of run down little towns like Jupiter, Hobe Sound, Stuart. and Palm City. There are good and bad with all the Florida counties. Why not be objective?

Old 04-30-2012, 08:24 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,315,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
You are aware that Brevard has Palm Bay and Barefoot bay, Etc Etc. which are less nice than Vero and are also retiree communities. Cocoa has a worse crime rate than Ft. Pierce. I don't really want to get in a playground brawl, but statements like yours show a lack of reasoning. Of course you totally ignored the fact the the Martin School District, which is one of the best in the state , is on the treasure coast. Lots of run down little towns like Jupiter, Hobe Sound, Stuart. and Palm City. There are good and bad with all the Florida counties. Why not be objective?
I am being objective. Despite the "negative" areas you've included, Brevard managed to finish in the top 10 along with Martin county for schools. Let me know where St Lucie county ended up

https://app2.fldoe.org/Ranking/Districts/

Btw, nobody would call Jupiter "run down" (at least not anybody that lives there or has been there).

My main point is that on the whole, Brevard (aka the "space coast") has a fairly good school system while the treasure coast has Martin county. What about Indian River or St Lucie county? They are treasure coast. Are their schools up to snuff?

Does the treasure coast have anything approaching the level of industry seen in Melbourne (Lockheed Martin, Northrup Grumman, Harris Corp, GE etc.)?

Old 04-30-2012, 11:09 AM

27,167 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
I am being objective. Despite the "negative" areas you've included, Brevard managed to finish in the top 10 along with Martin county for schools. Let me know where St Lucie county ended up
https://app2.fldoe.org/Ranking/Districts/
With a school system five times the size of Martin County's and a far more diverse demographic.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
With a school system five times the size of Martin County's and a far more diverse demographic.
Yep. Didn't state that, but definitely true.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:36 AM

Again kids, I'm asking why you tend to stick up for the area you live in while trashing another. I took no consideration other than the fact that you said the treasure coast was less nice than the space coast. I will in a heartbeat admit the space coast has more industry. I admit it's closer to Orlando, although I have no idea of the advantage. As for bashing Vero for retirees, that's just immature. The bit about Jupiter and the other towns was sarcasm, since you painted the treasure coast as a run down, retiree haven with a rather broad stroke. If I was in a stage of life where I was building a career or raising a family, I could think of a hundred places better than anywhere in Florida.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Again kids, I'm asking why you tend to stick up for the area you live in while trashing another. I took no consideration other than the fact that you said the treasure coast was less nice than the space coast. I will in a heartbeat admit the space coast has more industry. I admit it's closer to Orlando, although I have no idea of the advantage. As for bashing Vero for retirees, that's just immature. The bit about Jupiter and the other towns was sarcasm, since you painted the treasure coast as a run down, retiree haven with a rather broad stroke. If I was in a stage of life where I was building a career or raising a family, I could think of a hundred places better than anywhere in Florida.
It's not bashing. I am closer to the OP's demographic and stated goals, and I have had experience with both areas, being a central FL native. It may hurt you to hear it, but that's what the OP needs to hear. The OP wasn't asking me to compare the space coast to Austin, TX or Charlotte, NC, or Manhattan. The OP asked a simple question: treasure coast vs space coast.

Everything Kyle and I posted is in relation to what the OP was asking. How about you read the OP again? If the OP was asking about retiree havens, I would definitely point them towards Vero and southern brevard county (barefoot bay, and the other 55+ communities). Or towards Sebring, The Villages etc. in the middle of the state.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:13 PM

Quote:
It's not bashing. I am closer to the OP's demographic and stated goals, and I have had experience with both areas, being a central FL native. It may hurt you to hear it, but that's what the OP needs to hear. The OP wasn't asking me to compare the space coast to Austin, TX or Charlotte, NC, or Manhattan. The OP asked a simple question: treasure coast vs space coast.

Everything Kyle and I posted is in relation to what the OP was asking. How about you read the OP again? If the OP was asking about retiree havens, I would definitely point them towards Vero and southern brevard county (barefoot bay, and the other 55+ communities). Or towards Sebring, The Villages etc. in the middle of the state.
Again. I took umbrage with your statement that the treasure coast was LESS NICE than the space coast. I made no mention of the posters requirements. I reacted to what I thought was a rather ignorant aside.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Again. I took umbrage with your statement that the treasure coast was LESS NICE than the space coast. I made no mention of the posters requirements. I reacted to what I thought was a rather ignorant aside.
As it relates to the OP's question of "I am just wondering what the difference between theses areas is? Does one have better schools, does one have more to do, does one have more job?", it certainly is less nice in those regards. I expressed my opinion as it relates to the OP's questions and I stand by it.

For the record, I think the whole stretch of the indian river lagoon that stretches from the space through the treasure coast is beautiful along US1. I still think the space coast is better if your in your thirties with kids.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
As it relates to the OP's question of "I am just wondering what the difference between theses areas is? Does one have better schools, does one have more to do, does one have more job?", it certainly is less nice in those regards. I expressed my opinion as it relates to the OP's questions and I stand by it.

For the record, I think the whole stretch of the indian river lagoon that stretches from the space through the treasure coast is beautiful along US1. I still think the space coast is better if your in your thirties with kids.
I thought my last post was pretty clear. I took offense to your blanket statement and your misguided attempt at humor regarding seniors.There are many beautiful,natural and even entertainingly contrived areas of Florida. I wouldn't live in most. They are what they are and , for the most part, are inhabited by those who enjoy them. You should respect that. I have nothing further to say about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida