Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 11:14 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,200,881 times

Advertisements

I LOVE FLORIDA. I love this state with an all out passion.

The Good
  1. Beaches
  2. Multiple Cities and Metro's
  3. All 4 major sports represented
  4. Suburban Living at it's best
  5. Constantly Growing
  6. Weather
  7. Year round activities and events
  8. World Brand Recognized
  9. Tons of business opportunities
  10. Multiple Lifestyles
The Bad
  1. Grew too fast for infrastructure
  2. The transient people who always have something to say
  3. It gets too cold sometime.

What people fail to understand is how different Florida is and before I was born, how different Florida wanted to be (And Still Does).
People say Florida when they may have had only one "Bad Experience" in Orlando for instance, but categorizes the entire state, and is ready to attack anyone who stands up for Florida. It pisses me off and we are not allowed to personally attack and chastise a person on the forum (Which I want to cuss and rant so much at certain posters) so i'm adressing this one the civilized way.

The question has been asked many times.

"Why do you people STAY in a place you don't like or enjoy?"

For instance. I was born and raised in Orlando. I loved the city before certain changes, now I don't like it so much. I can complain as much as I want but it wont do anything. I'm making steps to leave and still recognizing the city for what it has to offer while Im here so I don't entertain the thought of being miserable. Im not miserable here I just don't like it anymore for a city to start a family in, etc (other personal reasons)

I'm not going to attack or post about a place every time I get the opportunity too. It makes no sense.

Tell me how the hell does someone have more than enough time to be that miserable? Is it the city or is it that person? You can find good in every city even Detroit but it's up to the person to be happy and find some joy in their selves to do so. I wish people didn't come up here and BASH this state for what their experience was in what or two cities. What the hell?

Florida is a FANTASTIC state to live in and no matter what argument or opinions anybody brings to the table I'm sticking too that.

MY FLORIDA!
Panhandle - Beach living, country living, city living, Central Time, more of a sense of seasons.
Pensecola, Talahassee, Panama city, Niceville, Ft. Walton, Destin

North Florida - Country living, small city small town living, Eastern Time
Lake City, Gainesville, Live Oak, Ocala

Jacksonville Metro - Beach living, city living, rural living, small ounce of urban living
Jacksonville, St. Augustine, Palm Coast

Central Florida - Beach living, city living, rural living, pockets of urban living
Orlando, Daytona Beach, Cocoa Beach, Kissimmee, Winter Garden, Altamonte Springs, Clermont, Deltona, Cocoa Beach

Tampa Bay - Beach living, city living, rural living, pockets of urban living
Tampa, St. Pete, Clearwater, New Port Richey, Lakeland, Brandon, Sarasota, Brandenton, Lutz, Town and Country, Tarpron Springs

South Florida Area - Beach living, city living urban living, rural living
Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, West Palm, Miramar, Davie, sunrise, Homestead, Belle Glade, Jupiter, Boyton Beach, Etc.

I left out the Ft. Myers Area, Florida Keys, Other Parts of The Gulf coast, East Central Florida, and Northern Florida.

Your Florida - "ITS BAD! The entire state is boring, not vibrant, too many people, too hot, too many insects, not enough wide roads, lack of public transportation, city is too gritty, no nice traditional neighborhoods, no history, no museums, terrible apartment living at it's best, (etc etc.)"

How can you tell me your can not find one place of happiness in this state?
It's ridiculous to say you can not.

Miami is Not Orlando Orlando IS Not Tampa Tampa Is Not Jacksonville Jacksonville Is Not Tallahassee, Tallahassee, is Not Gainesville, Gainesville Is Not Ft. Lauderdale, Ft. Lauderdale is Not Daytona Beach, Daytona Beach is not Key West, Key West is not Pensecola, Pensecola is not Panama City ETC.

SO why do people do that? Why do people put Florida into one category?
My Florida says their is opportunity around the state. FIND Somewhere to be happy.
IDK if anyone ever thought about it but I'm going to point it out.

Anyone ever think that there may be a reason other cities and states are represented more heavily than Florida on this forum? I have. See Florida is an outdoors state or always have something to do state. I realized about a year ago Florida would lose many verbal battles online from lack of defense because people living here have something to do. People in Florida don't have time to chat and sit and defend their state vs some person who has had a miserable time and has nothing better to do but find the negatives about it via online surveys, postings, rants etc. So yes continue to bag on Florida, your just proving my theory correct as people here don't jump on here as much as citizens from other states, they have THINGS TO DO.

To my original Florida born residents, or people who came here with a plan and open mind, I applaud you and think you for not posting negative threads all the time. I appreciate trying to find the best is this state. I know Florida has a lot wrong and I am aware of that, I certainly am, but if your not trying to make it better why bother at all? My Florida is a great place.

My request is this. Post your own personal explanation of Florida Vs. How you figure everyone else prospective of Florida is. I'm curious to see how other people think about living in this state as a whole. Not just your area but the entire state. I mean have any of you thought about this state a s a a whole and not just your metro? Many of the Metro areas tend to stay to their own so I'm just throwing this out there for discussion.

Sorry about the rant

Last edited by IAm_FloridaBorn; 11-30-2011 at 11:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 11:29 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,385,548 times
this has never been done before

Old 11-30-2011, 11:34 AM

It's just a rant. my opinion. I'm curious to know what other peoples (residents) positive perspective of Florida is.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:38 AM

7,126 posts, read 8,647,422 times
I just happy under Bad you didn't list "Northerners"!!

Old 11-30-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
I just happy under Bad you didn't list "Northerners"!!

Haha I tend not to like northerners on a personal level because they like to do everything too fast for me, but as a whole , I appreciate them for coming to our state. That in my mind shows the potential Florida has. when you have people with different backgrounds, cultures and living styles from all over the country, world, ti brings for a much better place in my opinion. Is it going to take a while as it always does for different cultures to gel? Yeah sure, but I'm open minded. I love the way northerners think when they come here. it's variety I'm after. I want people to see how much of a variety Florida offers too as far as living goes. it not just all high rises like Manhattan, or all stucco homes in the desert, or all suburbian. we have nice urban spots, villages, townships, unincorporated populated centers etc for everyone. Variety is what I'm after.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:15 PM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times
How far back do you go? Today, I would hardly call Gainesville "country". I lived there in 1971 and apart from the campus, it WAS country THEN. I went back there 2 years ago and was totally lost. The dirt road I used to walk along was now paved. The apartment building I lived in is now a gated development. The farm stand that I used to walk to, along that dirt road, is now another development. The tiny McD's (very popular with students) down that same road is now gone too. There are now great big malls and McD's, along with other fast food places, is huge. So many STORES in malls! It now looks NOTHING at all like in 1971. I suppose you would have to go to the far outskirts of Gainesville now to get any kind of "country". Sorry, I don't consider malls and gated developments to be country.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:35 PM

615 posts, read 1,675,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
I LOVE FLORIDA. I love this state with an all out passion.

The Good
  1. Beaches
  2. Multiple Cities and Metro's
  3. All 4 major sports represented
  4. Suburban Living at it's best
  5. Constantly Growing
  6. Weather
  7. Year round activities and events
  8. World Brand Recognized
  9. Tons of business opportunities
  10. Multiple Lifestyles
The Bad
  1. Grew too fast for infrastructure
  2. The transient people who always have something to say
  3. It gets too cold sometime.

What people fail to understand is how different Florida is and before I was born, how different Florida wanted to be (And Still Does).
People say Florida when they may have had only one "Bad Experience" in Orlando for instance, but categorizes the entire state, and is ready to attack anyone who stands up for Florida. It pisses me off and we are not allowed to personally attack and chastise a person on the forum (Which I want to cuss and rant so much at certain posters) so i'm adressing this one the civilized way.

For instance. I was born and raised in Orlando. I loved the city before certain changes, now I don't like it so much. I can complain as much as I want but it wont do anything. I'm making steps to leave and still recognizing the city for what it has to offer while Im here so I don't entertain the thought of being miserable. Im not miserable here I just don't like it anymore for a city to start a family in, etc (other personal reasons)

I'm not going to attack or post about a place every time I get the opportunity too. It makes no sense.

Tell me how the hell does someone have more than enough time to be that miserable? Is it the city or is it that person? You can find good in every city even Detroit but it's up to the person to be happy and find some joy in their selves to do so. I wish people didn't come up here and BASH this state for what their experience was in what or two cities. What the hell?

Florida is a FANTASTIC state to live in and no matter what argument or opinions anybody brings to the table I'm sticking too that.

MY FLORIDA!
Panhandle - Beach living, country living, city living, Central Time, more of a sense of seasons.
Pensecola, Talahassee, Panama city, Niceville, Ft. Walton, Destin

North Florida - Country living, small city small town living, Eastern Time
Lake City, Gainesville, Live Oak, Ocala

Jacksonville Metro - Beach living, city living, rural living, small ounce of urban living
Jacksonville, St. Augustine, Palm Coast

Central Florida - Beach living, city living, rural living, pockets of urban living
Orlando, Daytona Beach, Cocoa Beach, Kissimmee, Winter Garden, Altamonte Springs, Clermont, Deltona, Cocoa Beach

Tampa Bay - Beach living, city living, rural living, pockets of urban living
Tampa, St. Pete, Clearwater, New Port Richey, Lakeland, Brandon, Sarasota, Brandenton, Lutz, Town and Country, Tarpron Springs

South Florida Area - Beach living, city living urban living, rural living
Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, West Palm, Miramar, Davie, sunrise, Homestead, Belle Glade, Jupiter, Boyton Beach, Etc.

I left out the Ft. Myers Area, Florida Keys, Other Parts of The Gulf coast, East Central Florida, and Northern Florida.

Your Florida - "ITS BAD! The entire state is boring, not vibrant, too many people, too hot, too many insects, not enough wide roads, lack of public transportation, city is too gritty, no nice traditional neighborhoods, no history, no museums, terrible apartment living at it's best, (etc etc.)"

How can you tell me your can not find one place of happiness in this state?
It's ridiculous to say you can not.

Miami is Not Orlando Orlando IS Not Tampa Tampa Is Not Jacksonville Jacksonville Is Not Tallahassee, Tallahassee, is Not Gainesville, Gainesville Is Not Ft. Lauderdale, Ft. Lauderdale is Not Daytona Beach, Daytona Beach is not Key West, Key West is not Pensecola, Pensecola is not Panama City ETC.

SO why do people do that? Why do people put Florida into one category?
My Florida says their is opportunity around the state. FIND Somewhere to be happy.
IDK if anyone ever thought about it but I'm going to point it out.

Anyone ever think that there may be a reason other cities and states are represented more heavily than Florida on this forum? I have. See Florida is an outdoors state or always have something to do state. I realized about a year ago Florida would lose many verbal battles online from lack of defense because people living here have something to do. People in Florida don't have time to chat and sit and defend their state vs some person who has had a miserable time and has nothing better to do but find the negatives about it via online surveys, postings, rants etc. So yes continue to bag on Florida, your just proving my theory correct as people here don't jump on here as much as citizens from other states, they have THINGS TO DO.

To my original Florida born residents, or people who came here with a plan and open mind, I applaud you and think you for not posting negative threads all the time. I appreciate trying to find the best is this state. I know Florida has a lot wrong and I am aware of that, I certainly am, but if your not trying to make it better why bother at all? My Florida is a great place.

My request is this. Post your own personal explanation of Florida Vs. How you figure everyone else prospective of Florida is. I'm curious to see how other people think about living in this state as a whole. Not just your area but the entire state. I mean have any of you thought about this state a s a a whole and not just your metro? Many of the Metro areas tend to stay to their own so I'm just throwing this out there for discussion.

Sorry about the rant

I read the entire post!

I feel your pain. I've been on here for quite some time and I have read it ALL (Florida forums, NY forums, etc........)!

Generalizations SUCK big time and there are a lot of unhappy people out there. Sure there are some "rotten apples" out there, but we should not assume that all mirror the same behaviors, etc..........

With all that being said, not all "Northerners/New Yorkers" should be generalized in a negative fashion either.

I plan to give "your Florida" a try and if it doesn't work for me, then on my merry way I go.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:16 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,385,548 times
Quote:
what i like about florida:

1) not freezing to death in the winter
2) palm trees
3) generally laid back vibe
4) cheap (relative to where i came from)
5) plenty of sunshine; almost too much sunshine though
6) cuban food
7) traffic's a joke (again... all relative)
8) the fact that tampa has gone to greater lengths to curtail rampant panhandling (except on sundays)

what i don't like about florida:

1) relentless humidity in summer
2) lovebugs
3) there are a lot of uneducated people readily apparent everywhere you go down here
4) drivers. ties into #3.
5) the interior of the entire state is a wasteland. orlando included.

regarding outsiders' perspectives, people on the other forums i read bash florida to death. fark even has a news section devoted solely to florida mockery.

Last edited by user8; 11-30-2011 at 03:43 PM..

Old 11-30-2011, 04:09 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,958,267 times
Quote:

People say Florida when they may have had only one "Bad Experience" in Orlando for instance, but categorizes the entire state, and is ready to attack anyone who stands up for Florida.

Lived in Hollywood, Key West, Ft. Myers, Naples and Homestead so I've lived in varying parts of the state and can't say I've been thrilled with any of them. Florida is Florida really, I can drive to Miami and its the SAME landscape as driving to Orlando.. In other states across the country u can drive an hour and be in an entirely different state and city. Down here it takes me two hours minimum to get out of SWFL and into any major city. Waste..

That being said why do we stay? Cause at the moment some of us have families and jobs and can't just say hey screw it lets move. My husband job would require at LEAST a 6 month hiring process to another agency minimum he can't just transfer. Also his job would vary greatly in pay from one place to the other. So while people are making strives to move it takes years to actually do it right

Old 11-30-2011, 04:13 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,958,267 times
Quote:

People say Florida when they may have had only one "Bad Experience" in Orlando for instance, but categorizes the entire state, and is ready to attack anyone who stands up for Florida.

Lived in Hollywood, Key West, Ft. Myers, Naples and Homestead so I've lived in varying parts of the state and can't say I've been thrilled with any of them. Florida is Florida really, I can drive to Miami and its the SAME landscape as driving to Orlando.. In other states across the country u can drive an hour and be in an entirely different state and city. Boston has a different feel than NYC or Philly with different people, vibes etc. Here Tampa and Orlando cater to one thing. Disney and Universal aka snowbirds. Down here it takes me two hours to get to a "city" SWFL is pretty secluded in our little corner as opposed to other cities in Fla that are in a closer driving distance to actual things to do.I mean we're golf capital how many of those do you think are catering to families with young children? You think they'd like me to bring my two year old to meet friends at their club house? We don't have museums or aquariums here to bring the kiddies. We have an art museum of sorts altho Im not sure how much my 2 year old will appreciate that. I also don't like how everything revolves around not those who live here but those who don't. In the summer its a sc**w you if you live here attitude. No festivals, no shows nothing. Its a ghost town. Other places I've lived had year round things for people to do to get to know each other because Fla isn't a "community" state. Its forget about you I came here to be left alone state. Neighbors don't want to know neighbors nor do they want to hear their leaf blower, music, truck, or kids either. Oh lets not forget they can't set up lemonade stands here either.

That being said why do we stay? Cause at the moment some of us have families and jobs and can't just say hey screw it lets move. My husband job would require at LEAST a 6 month hiring process to another agency minimum he can't just transfer. Also his job would vary greatly in pay from one place to the other. So while people are making strives to move it takes years to actually do it right
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida