Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 07:37 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,337,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Lived in Hollywood, Key West, Ft. Myers, Naples and Homestead so I've lived in varying parts of the state and can't say I've been thrilled with any of them. Florida is Florida really, I can drive to Miami and its the SAME landscape as driving to Orlando.. In other states across the country u can drive an hour and be in an entirely different state and city. Boston has a different feel than NYC or Philly with different people, vibes etc. Here Tampa and Orlando cater to one thing. Disney and Universal aka snowbirds. Down here it takes me two hours to get to a "city" SWFL is pretty secluded in our little corner as opposed to other cities in Fla that are in a closer driving distance to actual things to do.I mean we're golf capital how many of those do you think are catering to families with young children? You think they'd like me to bring my two year old to meet friends at their club house? We don't have museums or aquariums here to bring the kiddies. We have an art museum of sorts altho Im not sure how much my 2 year old will appreciate that. I also don't like how everything revolves around not those who live here but those who don't. In the summer its a sc**w you if you live here attitude. No festivals, no shows nothing. Its a ghost town. Other places I've lived had year round things for people to do to get to know each other because Fla isn't a "community" state. Its forget about you I came here to be left alone state. Neighbors don't want to know neighbors nor do they want to hear their leaf blower, music, truck, or kids either. Oh lets not forget they can't set up lemonade stands here either.

That being said why do we stay? Cause at the moment some of us have families and jobs and can't just say hey screw it lets move. My husband job would require at LEAST a 6 month hiring process to another agency minimum he can't just transfer. Also his job would vary greatly in pay from one place to the other. So while people are making strives to move it takes years to actually do it right
I can't dispute your personal experiences...they are YOUR experiences but I must say, I am more along the lines of FloridaBorn. I lived the majority of my life in FL, been here since I was a young child. My observation is that there is some truth to your assertion that FL is a "I came here to be left alone" state. But if you move here and gravitate towards the newer, cookie cutter communities...who do you expect to find there? There are many "community" areas in FL where multiple generations have been but they are not attractive to newcomers. You go to any small rural community in FL and just about everyone in town knows each other and attends the Friday Night High school football game. Even in the older more established suburbs people band around the local high school and there certainly is a sense of community. But if you're in a brand new development that was cow pasture less than a decade ago, how much "community" do you really expect. And to characterize Orlando and Tampa as catering solely to Disney and Universal is just not accurate. Go north of downtown Orlando and you will find little to no trace of Disney's influence. In Seminole county, just north of Orlando, people have little to no connection to Disney other than the once in a while visit. The vast majority of people there do not work at or for Disneys and rarely travel there. Tampa really has their own separate universe that has nothing to do with Disney or Orlando at all. You go to college towns like Gainesville and Tallahassee and it's all about UF and FSU. No snowbirds and the only "transients" are the 4 year (or longer) types of party hard and than head home to real world. You want to see a celebration of FL and sense of community, try Fall Saturdays at any one of these campuses, trust me you'll find no northern envy or false loyalty. The real Florida I knew growing up is out there, it's just not in some cookie cutter community off a brand spankin new highway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 08:04 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
I can't dispute your personal experiences...they are YOUR experiences but I must say, I am more along the lines of FloridaBorn. I lived the majority of my life in FL, been here since I was a young child. My observation is that there is some truth to your assertion that FL is a "I came here to be left alone" state. But if you move here and gravitate towards the newer, cookie cutter communities...who do you expect to find there? There are many "community" areas in FL where multiple generations have been but they are not attractive to newcomers. You go to any small rural community in FL and just about everyone in town knows each other and attends the Friday Night High school football game. Even in the older more established suburbs people band around the local high school and there certainly is a sense of community. But if you're in a brand new development that was cow pasture less than a decade ago, how much "community" do you really expect. And to characterize Orlando and Tampa as catering solely to Disney and Universal is just not accurate. Go north of downtown Orlando and you will find little to no trace of Disney's influence. In Seminole county, just north of Orlando, people have little to no connection to Disney other than the once in a while visit. The vast majority of people there do not work at or for Disneys and rarely travel there. Tampa really has their own separate universe that has nothing to do with Disney or Orlando at all. You go to college towns like Gainesville and Tallahassee and it's all about UF and FSU. No snowbirds and the only "transients" are the 4 year (or longer) types of party hard and than head home to real world. You want to see a celebration of FL and sense of community, try Fall Saturdays at any one of these campuses, trust me you'll find no northern envy or false loyalty. The real Florida I knew growing up is out there, it's just not in some cookie cutter community off a brand spankin new highway.
As a Florida native, I couldn't agree with you more. Tampa actually has a lot of rich history and absolutely NOTHING to do with Disney. Also, there are a lot of wonderful communities in central Florida that have a lot of civic pride and community spirit, and are just not "snowbird central" type of places. There are even rolling hills in some of these towns (for those who claim the whole state is "boring and flat")

Bottom line, there are many miserable people here who just really don't WANT to find anything to like about this state. And since misery loves company they come here and spout off everything they hate about Florida, in the hopes that others will chime in also, thereby corroborating their miseries. The fact is, if they move anywhere else, they will be taking themselves with them and will probably see their new home pretty much the way they see it here.

It's not that I expect everyone to love Florida - after all there are plenty of states I don't like and would not want to live in. What I don't like to see are the many blanket FALSE statements made by the malcontents on this forum, and declaring their opinions as facts.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:51 AM

623 posts, read 965,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
What? Transient people can't voice their opinions on this board? You need grits in your blood to speak here?

And to answer, "Why do people STAY...?" We don't! That's what makes us transient.

'My Florida' is a place to visit for vacation. We tried living in it for 6 years and it was hot and damp. And yes, the whole state, not just where we chose to live. I think it's great you love your state. I love my state, Massachusetts, and spending 6 years in Florida makes me love it here even more. State pride is good. I commend you for speaking highly of your state and being proud but don't silence what you call 'transients'. You could learn something from them.
This is you from 2006 You don't have to shovel or rake heat. You just put on your bikini and sit by your pool or in your air-conditioned house and enjoy your tropical drink of choice. So this winter while you're layering clothes over your longjohns and pulling on your galoshes to shovel out your car maybe you'll think of Florida in a new light with it's sky so clear and blue they should name a crayola crayon after it. And when you get your heating bill you can think of Florida with it's winter breezes gently blowing through our patios and our opened windows, the air so fragrant they should name a perfume after it.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:56 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,337,371 times
Wow Boston you sound like a poet!

Old 12-01-2011, 11:07 AM

10,232 posts, read 6,315,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
As a Florida native, I couldn't agree with you more. Tampa actually has a lot of rich history and absolutely NOTHING to do with Disney. Also, there are a lot of wonderful communities in central Florida that have a lot of civic pride and community spirit, and are just not "snowbird central" type of places. There are even rolling hills in some of these towns (for those who claim the whole state is "boring and flat")

Bottom line, there are many miserable people here who just really don't WANT to find anything to like about this state. And since misery loves company they come here and spout off everything they hate about Florida, in the hopes that others will chime in also, thereby corroborating their miseries. The fact is, if they move anywhere else, they will be taking themselves with them and will probably see their new home pretty much the way they see it here.

It's not that I expect everyone to love Florida - after all there are plenty of states I don't like and would not want to live in. What I don't like to see are the many blanket FALSE statements made by the malcontents on this forum, and declaring their opinions as facts.
You reasoning is faulty. IF they were very happy where they were. IF they came here because of circumstances, not because they wanted to leave where they were. IF they move back to the same place where they were very happy to begin with.

I can attest to this from 1971 to 2007. Florida NEVER entered my mind in all those years. I am very sure when I do leave this time, the few remaining years of my life, I will be very happy being near my kids and in a place I truly love. Just as the OP has pride in his state, I also have pride in MY state.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston904 View Post
This is you from 2006 You don't have to shovel or rake heat. You just put on your bikini and sit by your pool or in your air-conditioned house and enjoy your tropical drink of choice. So this winter while you're layering clothes over your longjohns and pulling on your galoshes to shovel out your car maybe you'll think of Florida in a new light with it's sky so clear and blue they should name a crayola crayon after it. And when you get your heating bill you can think of Florida with it's winter breezes gently blowing through our patios and our opened windows, the air so fragrant they should name a perfume after it.
If you live in an apartment building or condo in Florida, do you have to mow the grass? Nope. If you live an an apartment building or condo up North, do you have to shovel snow or rake leaves? Nope. Does everyone who lives in Florida have (or wants) a pool? Nope. I have a skin condition which dermatologists, in Florida, have told me to stay OUT of the sun, and keep COOL. Sipping a drink by a pool in the sun and heat would make me look like a LEPER. So people talk about hibernating in North with the cold and snow and SAD, so I have to hibernate in Florida with the sun and heat and REVERSE SAD. Different places. Same thing. Someone has said we "miserable" people need to find things to appreciate about Florida. Tell me? How many INDOOR, or rainy/cold weather, things there are to do in Florida? Not much. I've looked.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:07 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,961,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
If you live in an apartment building or condo in Florida, do you have to mow the grass? Nope. If you live an an apartment building or condo up North, do you have to shovel snow or rake leaves? Nope. Does everyone who lives in Florida have (or wants) a pool? Nope. I have a skin condition which dermatologists, in Florida, have told me to stay OUT of the sun, and keep COOL. Sipping a drink by a pool in the sun and heat would make me look like a LEPER. So people talk about hibernating in North with the cold and snow and SAD, so I have to hibernate in Florida with the sun and heat and REVERSE SAD. Different places. Same thing. Someone has said we "miserable" people need to find things to appreciate about Florida. Tell me? How many INDOOR, or rainy/cold weather, things there are to do in Florida? Not much. I've looked.
I have a heart condition and blood pressure condition caused by an autoimmune disorder (which is on of the reasons we haven't left yet I've been going through extensive testing and doctors before my appointment at Mayo Clinic in Jax in 2 weeks) and I've been told by almost all my doctors to get out of florida for my health. During the summer time I frequently "grey out" . Not quiet pass out but not quite lucid either from the heat making my bp drop very suddenly

Old 12-01-2011, 01:18 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,202,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
What? Transient people can't voice their opinions on this board? You need grits in your blood to speak here?

And to answer, "Why do people STAY...?" We don't! That's what makes us transient.

'My Florida' is a place to visit for vacation. We tried living in it for 6 years and it was hot and damp. And yes, the whole state, not just where we chose to live. I think it's great you love your state. I love my state, Massachusetts, and spending 6 years in Florida makes me love it here even more. State pride is good. I commend you for speaking highly of your state and being proud but don't silence what you call 'transients'. You could learn something from them.

By something to say I meant something negative or false about the entire state. I told you I love transient places/cities and Florida is that. I just making my point about this forum and the lack of honest nest between posters who are usually transient and have NOTHING Positive to say about the state. No effort to defeat the negative experience they have had in whatever city they chose, and thats what bothers me.

I know the whole state is hot and damp. 1 million people could say that and It would not bother me because it's true and it's a personal preference. Again what bothers me is the negativity and lack of effort to try and find more positives about a place, especially since you cant just up and leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
So pretty much you have lived all over South Florida... not all over Florida.

Orlando and Miami are not the SAME. Miami is much more tropical.

Tampa has several museums including a Children's Museum. I am sure your 2 year old would enjoy it. We also have Lowry Park Zoo which was ranked #1 zoo for families by Parents magazine.

I think you may be living in the wrong part of Florida.

Can't speak to South Florida, but here in Tampa they have festivals year round.

Yes, people should not just get up and move, especially when they have families. With that said, it does not take YEARS to do a move right. About a year is a good time frame, minimum of 9 months.

Sounds like you are going to be in Florida for awhile longer. A "glass half full" approach may bid you well.

Exactly. This is what bothers me as I stated. Cities/Metro Areas in Florida are nothing a like. Similarities? Sure but they are not the same as far as a living experience goes. I've been in South, North and Central Florida for extended times. It's not the same. The way people think and react to "Hello" is not even the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post

Exactly.

Couldn't have worded it better myself!!!

Old 12-01-2011, 01:20 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,202,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post

Where in Florida are you?

And there are things to do indoor. More than outdoors? Hell no it's Florida but there are things to do, well at least in Central Florida there is. I don't know what part of Florida your in.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I have a heart condition and blood pressure condition caused by an autoimmune disorder (which is on of the reasons we haven't left yet I've been going through extensive testing and doctors before my appointment at Mayo Clinic in Jax in 2 weeks) and I've been told by almost all my doctors to get out of florida for my health. During the summer time I frequently "grey out" . Not quiet pass out but not quite lucid either from the heat making my bp drop very suddenly
Oh, I completely understand. Unfortunately, far too many people think that Florida's sunshine and year round warm weather is a cure for anything. I, for one, know that is simply not true. Up North, I only had to live with my skin condition for about 3 months. No problems the rest of the year. Here? I only have about 3 months when it ISN'T a problem. I am just plain tired of having to play peek a boo with the sun and hibernating in AC almost all year, especially in SOUTH Florida. This is no way to live, espcially at my age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida