Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 04:49 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times

Advertisements

Do you remember what Sunrise Highway on LI looked like in 1971? The LIRR still ran on grade. Things change over 40 years. Growth happens.

I was out on the road today, took 301 up from Dade City and drove through Tribly using Pasco County Highway 4. Beautiful out there. Lots of hills, wonderful lakes, huge ranches and farms. Surely 40 years ago it was even less developed than when I saw it today.

Tribly is between Dade City and Brooksville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
How far back do you go? Today, I would hardly call Gainesville "country". I lived there in 1971 and apart from the campus, it WAS country THEN. I went back there 2 years ago and was totally lost. The dirt road I used to walk along was now paved. The apartment building I lived in is now a gated development. The farm stand that I used to walk to, along that dirt road, is now another development. The tiny McD's (very popular with students) down that same road is now gone too. There are now great big malls and McD's, along with other fast food places, is huge. So many STORES in malls! It now looks NOTHING at all like in 1971. I suppose you would have to go to the far outskirts of Gainesville now to get any kind of "country". Sorry, I don't consider malls and gated developments to be country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 04:51 PM

Why did you move to Naples? What was the draw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Lived in Hollywood, Key West, Ft. Myers, Naples and Homestead so I've lived in varying parts of the state and can't say I've been thrilled with any of them. Florida is Florida really, I can drive to Miami and its the SAME landscape as driving to Orlando.. In other states across the country u can drive an hour and be in an entirely different state and city. Boston has a different feel than NYC or Philly with different people, vibes etc. Here Tampa and Orlando cater to one thing. Disney and Universal aka snowbirds. Down here it takes me two hours to get to a "city" SWFL is pretty secluded in our little corner as opposed to other cities in Fla that are in a closer driving distance to actual things to do.I mean we're golf capital how many of those do you think are catering to families with young children? You think they'd like me to bring my two year old to meet friends at their club house? We don't have museums or aquariums here to bring the kiddies. We have an art museum of sorts altho Im not sure how much my 2 year old will appreciate that. I also don't like how everything revolves around not those who live here but those who don't. In the summer its a sc**w you if you live here attitude. No festivals, no shows nothing. Its a ghost town. Other places I've lived had year round things for people to do to get to know each other because Fla isn't a "community" state. Its forget about you I came here to be left alone state. Neighbors don't want to know neighbors nor do they want to hear their leaf blower, music, truck, or kids either. Oh lets not forget they can't set up lemonade stands here either.

That being said why do we stay? Cause at the moment some of us have families and jobs and can't just say hey screw it lets move. My husband job would require at LEAST a 6 month hiring process to another agency minimum he can't just transfer. Also his job would vary greatly in pay from one place to the other. So while people are making strives to move it takes years to actually do it right

Old 11-30-2011, 05:42 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,203,902 times
Quote:
Lived in Hollywood, Key West, Ft. Myers, Naples and Homestead so I've lived in varying parts of the state and can't say I've been thrilled with any of them. Florida is Florida really, I can drive to Miami and its the SAME landscape as driving to Orlando.. In other states across the country u can drive an hour and be in an entirely different state and city. Boston has a different feel than NYC or Philly with different people, vibes etc. Here Tampa and Orlando cater to one thing. Disney and Universal aka snowbirds. Down here it takes me two hours to get to a "city" SWFL is pretty secluded in our little corner as opposed to other cities in Fla that are in a closer driving distance to actual things to do.I mean we're golf capital how many of those do you think are catering to families with young children? You think they'd like me to bring my two year old to meet friends at their club house? We don't have museums or aquariums here to bring the kiddies. We have an art museum of sorts altho Im not sure how much my 2 year old will appreciate that. I also don't like how everything revolves around not those who live here but those who don't. In the summer its a sc**w you if you live here attitude. No festivals, no shows nothing. Its a ghost town. Other places I've lived had year round things for people to do to get to know each other because Fla isn't a "community" state. Its forget about you I came here to be left alone state. Neighbors don't want to know neighbors nor do they want to hear their leaf blower, music, truck, or kids either. Oh lets not forget they can't set up lemonade stands here either.

That being said why do we stay? Cause at the moment some of us have families and jobs and can't just say hey screw it lets move. My husband job would require at LEAST a 6 month hiring process to another agency minimum he can't just transfer. Also his job would vary greatly in pay from one place to the other. So while people are making strives to move it takes years to actually do it right

You feel the same in Tampa and Orlando? Why is it that I feel how different each city is. I feel different going to Jackonville vs Orlando vs Tampa vs Miami vs Key West even. I guess it all depends on what your looking for in a city.

And did you do any planning before you moved to those places?

Old 11-30-2011, 05:43 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,203,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
How far back do you go? Today, I would hardly call Gainesville "country". I lived there in 1971 and apart from the campus, it WAS country THEN. I went back there 2 years ago and was totally lost. The dirt road I used to walk along was now paved. The apartment building I lived in is now a gated development. The farm stand that I used to walk to, along that dirt road, is now another development. The tiny McD's (very popular with students) down that same road is now gone too. There are now great big malls and McD's, along with other fast food places, is huge. So many STORES in malls! It now looks NOTHING at all like in 1971. I suppose you would have to go to the far outskirts of Gainesville now to get any kind of "country". Sorry, I don't consider malls and gated developments to be country.

I didnt call Gainesville country. I simply listed a region of the state, type of living provided and examples of cities in that region to suite ones needs.

Old 11-30-2011, 06:25 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Do you remember what Sunrise Highway on LI looked like in 1971? The LIRR still ran on grade. Things change over 40 years. Growth happens.

I was out on the road today, took 301 up from Dade City and drove through Tribly using Pasco County Highway 4. Beautiful out there. Lots of hills, wonderful lakes, huge ranches and farms. Surely 40 years ago it was even less developed than when I saw it today.

Tribly is between Dade City and Brooksville.
I was still living in Manhattan in 1971, moved to Queens in 1974, and LI in 1987. Have they changed in 40 years? Sure, but neither Manhattan nor Queens had dirt road in the 70s. Gainesville DID have dirt roads back then. My father-in-law used to tell me how when he was a boy back in the 20s that Queens Blvd. was a dirt road. My own Dad used to talk about how we went swimming off the Manhattan piers as a boy.

It really all relative really, isn't it when you reach a certain age, no matter where you live?

Old 12-01-2011, 05:34 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Why did you move to Naples? What was the draw?
I did not voluntarily move to Florida my parents moved here from NY when I was a child

Old 12-01-2011, 06:44 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
Quote:
Lived in Hollywood, Key West, Ft. Myers, Naples and Homestead so I've lived in varying parts of the state and can't say I've been thrilled with any of them. Florida is Florida really, I can drive to Miami and its the SAME landscape as driving to Orlando..
So pretty much you have lived all over South Florida... not all over Florida.

Orlando and Miami are not the SAME. Miami is much more tropical.

Quote:
We don't have museums or aquariums here to bring the kiddies. We have an art museum of sorts altho Im not sure how much my 2 year old will appreciate that. I also don't like how everything revolves around not those who live here but those who don't. In the summer its a sc**w you if you live here attitude. No festivals, no shows nothing. Its a ghost town. Other places I've lived had year round things for people to do to get to know each other because Fla isn't a "community" state.
Tampa has several museums including a Children's Museum. I am sure your 2 year old would enjoy it. We also have Lowry Park Zoo which was ranked #1 zoo for families by Parents magazine.

I think you may be living in the wrong part of Florida.

Can't speak to South Florida, but here in Tampa they have festivals year round.

Quote:
Yes, people should not just get up and move, especially when they have families. With that said, it does not take YEARS to do a move right. About a year is a good time frame, minimum of 9 months.

Sounds like you are going to be in Florida for awhile longer. A "glass half full" approach may bid you well.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:03 AM

629 posts, read 1,721,560 times
I've never understood it either. I guess it all boils down to there being two types of people in this world
-the doers (who decided Florida wasn't for them and actually, you know, left)
-the talkers (who decided Florida wasn't for them but just stayed and complain).

We've all seen a million excuses for someone not making the changes they claim they want to make. Job is here, spouse likes the weather here, kids in school here, family lives nearby, they go on and on. I've yet to see anyone say that they are physically shackled to the state. Every decision we make in life has tradeoffs. Get married and have kids? That's going to limit your choices down the road. Buy a house somewhere? Makes it tougher to get up and move than if you had rented. Want to live close to family members? Well unless you can convince them all to move at your command that's going to limit where you can live.

Changing some of those things might not be easy, but they're sure not impossible. Maybe they have to short-sell the house, maybe they have to take a lower-paying job to move, maybe they have to sit down with their spouse and have a real conversation about where to live their life rather than just trying to make the spouse happy. I wish they'd just suck it up and get it done, or quit blaming Florida and the rest of us for their miserable state of mind.

Fortunately the only places I seem to run into these souls are in the online forums. Everyone out on the bike trail, at the hardware store and in my other typical haunts seem to be enjoying the state very much and I'm happy to be a part of it as well.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:13 AM

Granted, no choice there, but now your are an adult?
So how long have you wanted to leave and why can't you?

Quote:
I did not voluntarily move to Florida my parents moved here from NY when I was a child

Old 12-01-2011, 07:15 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
  1. The transient people who always have something to say

"Why do you people STAY in a place you don't like or enjoy?"

What? Transient people can't voice their opinions on this board? You need grits in your blood to speak here?

And to answer, "Why do people STAY...?" We don't! That's what makes us transient.

'My Florida' is a place to visit for vacation. We tried living in it for 6 years and it was hot and damp. And yes, the whole state, not just where we chose to live. I think it's great you love your state. I love my state, Massachusetts, and spending 6 years in Florida makes me love it here even more. State pride is good. I commend you for speaking highly of your state and being proud but don't silence what you call 'transients'. You could learn something from them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida