Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2008, 08:40 AM

40 posts, read 273,064 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else have baby water turtles? We have 4 and they seem to ALWAYS be hungry! If I walk by thier aquarium they jump off thier rocks and swim up to the tank acting crazy & extremely hyper.(they want me to feed them, this is what they do when I usually feed them) I feed them in the morning, then I just throw in a small pinch in the afternoon and I feed them one more time at night. We do spoil them when it comes to thier food
Anyone else experience this with their turtles?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 09:13 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,871,095 times
Mine is the opposite. He's hibernating and doesn't eat much right now. We have to move him to a different container for feeding b/c he doesn't eat much and his tank get dirty and he doesn't seem to like it much.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
Mine is the opposite. He's hibernating and doesn't eat much right now. We have to move him to a different container for feeding b/c he doesn't eat much and his tank get dirty and he doesn't seem to like it much.
If you dont already- Try to feed him blood worms. They should sell them at a pet/aquarium store thats where we got ours anyways. But our turtles LOVE the blood worms, its like giving candy to kids lol. We also give them a few sticks of Reptomin.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:16 AM

667 posts, read 2,300,983 times
I have one red-eared slider (Spike...I know...original, huh?) & he's almost 3 & does the same thing.
I think turtles just get bored, eating is the highlight of their day! They don't play with toys, they don't run around chasing things & we don't take them outside on walks. Spike LOVES crickets, bc at least they are a bit of a chase sometimes, same with little fish.
Sometimes Spike doesn't want food when he is swimming in front of his tank, he's just happy to see us. He comes right up to my face or follows my fingers & I swear I can almost see him smile!

You have growing babies, they need their goodies to grow! Just make sure they are getting all their different nutrients, if this is your first go round with baby turtles! How old are they? Any pics? Bet they are adorable & good buddies!

Last edited by collected_eve; 02-08-2008 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: I'm such a bad typer!

Old 02-08-2008, 11:00 AM

Spike! That is a good name. How big is he now? Yes, mine are babies still, we got them one month ago. I'll post a picture they are so cute and they seem to love eachother. They get up and bask together on a rock, sometimes they will pile onto eachother! It's cute. Theres a couple small neon fish and 2 guppies in the tank also. One of the turtles will sometimes chase the guppy around if it gets in his way! Its amazing how they all seem to have their own unique personalities.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:03 AM

Old 02-10-2008, 12:10 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,431,350 times
Be careful feeding them. It's easy to over feed because they always act they've not eaten in years. If they become overweight it puts a tremendous strain on their............. liver?? Can't remember. I'm not too big into the water turts. I've got box turtles and land tortoises.

Also, keep in mind they grow incredibly fast. They optimally need 10 gallons of aquarium for each each of shell length. So if you have 4 hatchlings, you'll need at least a 40 gallon aquarium for them. And they get big fast, topping at over 6 inches each. That would be a 240 gallon aquarium for them. Yikes!

Outdoor ponds are ideal for them as they get the much needed UVA / UVB light they need to survive. Just keep in mind that they can't handle cold, so you'd have to bring them in during winter months in colder areas of the country and raccoons think they are an excellent snack, so you'd need an enclosure that's 'coon proof.

For some really great info on them, there's a forum at turtletimes.com that's wonderful! They've got a section for water turtles specifically.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:53 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,649,226 times
I thought those Slider Turtles were illegal due to salmonella?

Old 02-10-2008, 09:46 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
More risk in eating chicken. But they are not as easy to get as 40 years ago.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:02 PM

Thanks mrs1885 you sound like a pro! Zonababe, the pet store told us they can only be sold in our state if they are tank bred/raised. I dont know the laws in other states. He even has a big sign on the section he keeps them in (probably because people ask all the time). As they start to grow we plan to start a pond for them.
Thanks for the website mrs1885 I'll check it out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish