Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2009, 11:34 PM

543 posts, read 2,312,922 times

Advertisements

I thought it was against the law to sell any type of water turtle less than 4 inches in diameter due to salmonella. At least it was when I was in the pet business 10 years ago. And that soft shell turtle in the 2nd pic, that might be illegal to keep in captivity,especially if they are native to your state.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 09:35 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,450,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMo View Post
I thought it was against the law to sell any type of water turtle less than 4 inches in diameter due to salmonella. At least it was when I was in the pet business 10 years ago. And that soft shell turtle in the 2nd pic, that might be illegal to keep in captivity,especially if they are native to your state.
As long as there is a sign that it's being sold for educational purposes only you can skate the law. It's just not enforced. I've also seen turtles of one species that's illegal to sell being sold but listed as a different species.

Most states don't bother people with them as long as you're reasonable about it. If you're responsible and no one complains they don't bother. There are too many people breaking the law openly and being neglectful to worry about someone with a baby turtle in a tank in their living room.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:58 PM

1 posts, read 8,007 times
Default baby turtle food...help!

My one inch red earred slider isnt eating well. I have tried different approaches. He had tried to eat a dried shrimp but too weak. I have 5 diffrent kinds of bottles of food. 2 hatchling type of food, dried blood worms and flakes. He is not eating em but he tries. What am i doing wrong?

Old 02-19-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgicetea View Post
My one inch red earred slider isnt eating well. I have tried different approaches. He had tried to eat a dried shrimp but too weak. I have 5 diffrent kinds of bottles of food. 2 hatchling type of food, dried blood worms and flakes. He is not eating em but he tries. What am i doing wrong?
There are way too many things that could be wrong. You need to get him to a herp vet ASAP. They go downhill very quickly.

I have a list of herp vets by state. Contact me if you need it.

In the meantime I'd say make sure the basking area for him is at the proper temp, as well as the water in the tank. You don't want to boil him, that's for sure, but their water should be warm.

Check out Turtle Times the Turtle and Tortoise Web Portal of Choice! and click on the forum tab at the top. There is a section for water turtles. You can join and ask questions or go to the list of care sheets listed for turtles and tortoises by breed to see if you can get some info on their proper care. But above all else is getting him to a herp vet ASAP.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:25 PM

1 posts, read 7,508 times
um i am taking a trip to myrtle beach and i am looking for a store in myrtle beach where you can find baby water turtles

Old 06-25-2009, 12:02 PM

751 posts, read 2,483,153 times
I bought my son hatchling florida red bellies in April. The guy had a sign that said they were only for educational purposes. But he sold them to me anyway.

The one I think was a male died - it flipped itself upside down on the rock and drowned. He was so active, running around and climbing on top of the other turtle that I am not surprised it happened. My son was devastated! He took it down to the creek and buried it. The one a think is a female is very shy. When I walk past her tank, she jumps off the basking platform and hides beneath it. She has grown so much in the couple months we have had her. I need to get a bigger tank for her!

Old 06-25-2009, 12:05 PM

Keep in mind they need a 10 gallon tank per inch of turtle. And they get huge. My son had one that was over 12 inches. To keep him indoors we'd have needed at least a 120 gallon aquarium. And to keep him outdoors he'd have needed a pond secure from raccoons.

Before buying one, please look into rescue. There are plenty herp rescues out there and they are always packed full of sliders needing homes. The rescue I adopted my torts from had close to 100 of them and was turning down a dozen a day that need homes.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:42 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,385,585 times
Default what's your water temperature??

Quote:
Originally Posted by alley06 View Post
Does anyone else have baby water turtles? We have 4 and they seem to ALWAYS be hungry! If I walk by thier aquarium they jump off thier rocks and swim up to the tank acting crazy & extremely hyper.(they want me to feed them, this is what they do when I usually feed them) I feed them in the morning, then I just throw in a small pinch in the afternoon and I feed them one more time at night. We do spoil them when it comes to thier food
Anyone else experience this with their turtles?
turtles will be as active as the temperature of their water! (your logo doesn't say what state you're in or your home temp) If they are that active then feeding more is good, but keep an eye on water quality and remember that the faster they grow the more they need calcium for building shell, etc. There are lots of reptile help sites now on-line.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:59 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,997,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crushsmomma20 View Post
I got crush about three or four years ago. I found him in the KY lake. I've been trying to figure out what Kind of turtle he is. He's some kind of water turtle obviously. He has the same markings as a red slider, but where the red is it's pale yellow. His shell has rough edges on it also. If anyone knows please e-mail me at brittneymichelle@rocketmail.com! THANKS!!
I think that is a razor back turtle. look them up on google

Old 07-11-2013, 12:52 PM

2 posts, read 5,195 times
Smile New To Forum & Baby Turtles

In may my neighbor gave me a baby turtle but she had no idea what kind of turtle it is or how old it is or whether it is male or female. I named it Ryder. Could u tell me what kind of turtle it is? How old it might be? Is it normal for it to be shedding as it is?

Currently Ryder eats between 32 and 45 food sticks in morning and between 10 to 20 in evening. I just started dipping the sticks in a puree of lettuce, broccoli and apple which Ryder eats right up but I am not sure if I am feeding it properly.

Ryder doesn't sleep very much, maybe 30 minutes a night because it spends the whole night rearranging the tank and moving its pet dragon from corner to corner, then tries to use it to climb out of the tank.

I live in New York in an apartment. I usually put his tank on the windowsill (there are window guards) for him to get some sun and look out the window. He really enjoys looking out the window.

I hate calling Ryder 'It' but I was calling Ryder him and it occurred to me that I don't even know whether Ryder is male or female.

I would appreciate any information anyone could give me about Ryder and how to best care for it. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Baby Water Turtles-6.jpg   Baby Water Turtles-5.jpg   Baby Water Turtles-ryder-july-10-118.jpg   Baby Water Turtles-4.jpg   Baby Water Turtles-8.jpg  

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish