Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 10:44 AM

667 posts, read 2,302,565 times

Advertisements

Alley06 your turtles are adorable!!
They do grow fast, I am a witness to that statement! I've had sliders off & on in my life, especially as a child. Growing up in Louisiana they are very abundant.
Anyhow, here is my Spike. I got him from a family that was not taking proper care of him. His shell was almost smashed in on one side, there is still a divet there, but he's all better now. His color was really dull & he acted as if her were afraid of food.
We've had him for almost 2 years now & boy has he grown. I think he's probably almost 3, I'm guessing here.
Anyhow again, here he is!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 07:25 PM

40 posts, read 273,202 times
collective_eve, Spike is huge! He looks like he is smiling how cute I'm going to take pictures along the way so in 3 years I can see how much they have grown over time.
They really are good pets and very well behaved. Except for "Boss" he's the one who likes to chase the guppy! I should have named him Mr. Bossy ')

Old 02-13-2008, 12:06 PM

667 posts, read 2,302,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alley06 View Post
They really are good pets and very well behaved. Except for "Boss" he's the one who likes to chase the guppy! I should have named him Mr. Bossy ')
Spike would probably eat that guppy as soon as he could get his mouth on it!!
We get him these little rosie guppies from PetSmart & he loves them.
I knock one or two out so that he can get it easily, but leave one in there for entertainment. It will usually survive for a week & then I don't see it anymore!!

Old 02-19-2008, 05:41 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,460,396 times
Glad I stumbled onto this thread.

As a child, growing up in Baton Rouge and New Orleans, I had slider turtles for pets, too, and always had good luck with them. I don't think I ever had more than two, and when it got cold, I was usually forced to let them go so they could hibernate.

I have a baby, baby slider I found/saved/rescued this Spring, and while my original intention was to turn the little thing loose, he is just too cute for his own good. He is hibernating in his bowl now, and doesn't want to eat.

Speaking of food, this one does not seem to care much for the food I got at the pet store -- specifically called 'turtle' food with a photo of a slider on the container. He will eat it, but I think it's because he's starving. Any suggestions? He seems to like canned tuna or other fish products. He loves flies when I can catch them.

Oh, and how do I tell if this is a Herman or a Hermione? Doesn't it have something to do with the length of its claws?

Old 02-22-2008, 08:52 AM

301 posts, read 1,548,321 times
What a great thread.Your little guys are great!!.Just last fall sitting out on our back steps I looked down and found a very small trutle.I could tell right away it was a water trutle.But that was all.We had 5 Goper trutles in our yard.I love to watch them.We have watch a couple since they when the size of a 50 cent piece.Back to my guy.He spent the first 2 months hidden under dirt.Then he started coming out a little bit every otherday.Now spends most of the days swimming and soaking.At first I didn't think he would make it.I never saw him eat.I tried everything.I finally read an article about how they only eat in the water.And at that time I think I figured out what type trutle it is.I think a Suwannee River Cooter.Man the little guy loves to eat.So far he eats chicken,sliced very thin beef.I have tried apples,graden greens,carrets,roses(gopers love them).He dosen't seam to intersted in the store bought food.He has shed his shell once allready.Still not sure if the set up I have him in is correct.I'm learning as I go.Man I'm enjoying this.
Attached Thumbnails
Baby Water Turtles-my-trurtles-002.jpg   Baby Water Turtles-my-trurtles-005.jpg   Baby Water Turtles-my-trurtles-011.jpg  

Old 03-31-2008, 07:13 AM

301 posts, read 1,548,321 times
I'm really enjoying my baby turtle.He has now started taking his food from my finger tips.And he knows when its feeding time.Get very excited.Also lets me know if there is something he dosen't like.Very funny little guy.Thinking of getting another one.Have a 35gal tank coming for him.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:32 PM

11 posts, read 230,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
I thought those Slider Turtles were illegal due to salmonella?
There are loopholes to this though. Yes, it is against the law but if you put up a sign that says that they're only being sold for educational purposes, etc. you can get away with it. So yeah, it's against the law but it is a law that is not being enforced.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:33 PM

11 posts, read 230,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collected_eve View Post
Alley06 your turtles are adorable!!
They do grow fast, I am a witness to that statement! I've had sliders off & on in my life, especially as a child. Growing up in Louisiana they are very abundant.
Anyhow, here is my Spike. I got him from a family that was not taking proper care of him. His shell was almost smashed in on one side, there is still a divet there, but he's all better now. His color was really dull & he acted as if her were afraid of food.
We've had him for almost 2 years now & boy has he grown. I think he's probably almost 3, I'm guessing here.
Anyhow again, here he is!!

beautiful RES! but because of the short front claws and short snout, it seems to me that your "he" might actually be a "she" Is the tail long and thick or short?

Old 01-05-2009, 03:58 PM

1 posts, read 30,438 times
Default My Turtle Crush...can anyone tell me what kind he is?

I got crush about three or four years ago. I found him in the KY lake. I've been trying to figure out what Kind of turtle he is. He's some kind of water turtle obviously. He has the same markings as a red slider, but where the red is it's pale yellow. His shell has rough edges on it also. If anyone knows please e-mail me at brittneymichelle@rocketmail.com! THANKS!!
Attached Thumbnails
Baby Water Turtles-turtle2.jpg  

Old 01-05-2009, 05:23 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,917,021 times
Looks like a map turtle to me. I think they have the square spot behind the eye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish