Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 06:33 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,419,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
it's great until you keep getting older everyday and all your friends are falling in love and getting married and having kids and you aren't...b/c you will never amount to anything except a pretty face.

Trust me, it's terrible. Definitely not cool in the slightest.

Clearly the beauties that are having difficulty finding a man are missing something. Looks will only get you so far, after that you better have some substance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 07:14 AM

128 posts, read 404,068 times
Most of the woman that look really good seem to carry themselves with supreme confidence. I think there is a link between extreme confidence and happiness.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:14 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,416,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Clearly the beauties that are having difficulty finding a man are missing something. Looks will only get you so far, after that you better have some substance.
I believe I did say in a previous post that I do have substance. No, not all pretty women are ditzes. Wow, I'm actually smart...who knew?

Old 05-06-2010, 09:21 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,419,412 times
Quote:
I believe I did say in a previous post that I do have substance. No, not all pretty women are ditzes.
My post wasn't in reference to you specifically. When I used "you", it was in a general sense.

Quote:
Wow, I'm actually smart...who knew?
Apparently, you're the only one.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:33 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,129,829 times
I've actually found the opposite to be true.

Often my super-hot friends seem to be the most insecure.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:44 AM

1,353 posts, read 2,433,682 times
I think many women who refer to themselves as stunningly beautiful, gorgeous, etc. are not as confident as they like to pretend. The fact that they seem to need to continually mention that they are (or think they are) so much more attractive than other women points to a lack of confidence and a cry for attention. And whining that it's soooo hard to be beautiful? Give me break. I know a lot of confident women, some are beautiful, some are just average looking. But they all have confidence because they believe in their abilities and don't back down from a challenge. Truly confident women don't define themselves by, or limit themselves because of, their looks. And, that makes all of them beautiful.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:45 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,545,927 times
no i am pretty insecure i would still need to be very smart.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:58 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,244,160 times
Quote:
it's great until you keep getting older everyday and all your friends are falling in love and getting married and having kids and you aren't...b/c you will never amount to anything except a pretty face.

Trust me, it's terrible. Definitely not cool in the slightest.
Oh no. Not my point at all. Because I've known women like that who have very normal lives. Active in their church. Loving husband. Kids. But they just don't know the affect they have on men. Because they have so much else going on in their lives. They aren't checking their reflection in windows every 10 minutes. They're just naturally lovely. My grandmother used to call it "good bone structure".

My best friend is one. Hawaiian and gorgeous. She thinks I'M the pretty one because I'm a blue eyed blonde. For thirty years I've watched the effect she has on men. I'm wholesome. She's exotic. And she doesn't have a clue, bless her heart. (BTW she's been married for 20 years and has three kids. She's still knockin' 'em dead. And she has a daughter that is even more beautiful and is another one that doesn't have a clue. She worries more about her grades than her mascara. Maybe that's the secret?)

I get a kick out of it.

And she'd never post an answer in this forum because she wouldn't even put herself in the "drop dead beautiful" category. That's my point.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 05-06-2010 at 10:42 AM..

Old 05-06-2010, 10:06 AM

105 posts, read 287,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tough Questions View Post
I was walking down the street with a woman friend of mine and we passed one of the most beautiful and fashionable lady I had ever seen. This woman had the most beautiful hair, an incredible face, a shapely body and flawless skin. She was also incredibly fashionable and poised. My lady friend said, "I wonder what it would be like to be her?"

This made me think about the link between beauty, fashion and confidence. If my somewhat plain looking friend could wave a magic wand and all of a sudden look exactly like that beauty queen would she magically be more confident and successful? I think so, because everyone would treat her like a queen. What do you think?
What you aren't considering is what kind of effort it takes for this woman to maintain her outside beauty. How often does she excercise, does she have to maintain a meticulous diet. How long does it take for her to get ready in the morning (hair and makeup can take forever)? Could she be in debt since she dresses in the latest fashion?

Just because she is beautiful and appears to be confident does not mean that she is a happy person. Of course she could be, but you don't know. I think people shouldn't assume things about a person because of their appearance.

Maybe your plain looking friend could put more time money and effort into her appearance and she would be just as beautiful. Maybe it's not worth the effort to her to due so.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:11 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,291,640 times
Yes, I think I would be more confident if I were strikingly beautiful. Quite seriously, no, beauty does not necessarily equate with happiness and yes, being that beautiful probably does have some inherent problems of its own. However, ...I think I would be willing to try to work with those problems/issues!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty