Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 02:56 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,156,622 times

Advertisements

Here are my experiences:
When I was younger and in college professors would bump up my grades if I went in to talk to them about a problem I had on an exam, etc. Now I am a pretty intelligent individual but I think the jaw dropping as I stood at the doorway gave them away.
Next, anytime I've gone to a job interview it doesn't matter if the interviewer is a male or female, if I make up my mind that I want that particular job....guess what I get it. My chances skyrocket if it's a male interviewer.
Now the bad side of this is that throughout my career women co-workers have hated me!! Nevermind that I am funny, and easygoing as well as a hard worker, but the ugly, older women just plain despised me the minute they set eyes on me. As a result I tend to gravitate towards other good looking women who are self assured.
Now my daughter has this problem as well. She is STUNNING and looks just like a perfect mixture of myself and my DH. I have to tell her not to make eye contact with men lest they think she's interested and all hell breaks loose with the boyfriend.
MY DH has learned to live with this (my being attractive) and has warned my DD boyfriend about life married to an extremely beautiful woman.
Now, I don't want to toot my own horn but even at my age, almost 40, I STILL get the jaw drops when I walk into a room and just last week someone said to me that I was "movie star" gorgeous Now I never get tired of hearing that...so in answer to the OP, while I don't have flawless skin, I have always been treated differently because of my looks one way or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 03:41 PM

3,048 posts, read 5,011,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Plenty yes...but I am selective as to what I want...and that is my right to be, no? I'm an attractive woman who actually has standards.
Of course. You can be as stringent as you want. But then you really have no cause for complaint.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:55 PM

37,159 posts, read 42,302,670 times
I would like that. Things were easier for me when I was young becasue I had some of that easy-breezy style. Now I don't and I know it, I'm much less comfortable in my own skin and it's creeps into every part of my life.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:40 AM

3 posts, read 4,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
I think if you are stunningly amazingly strikingly beautiful there are a lot more open doors and opportunities. Additionally, I think you are treated differently, in a positive, pampered way.
i agree

Old 04-29-2010, 03:00 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,288,473 times
I think it's a double edged sword. I'm sure they get tired of being looked at all the time. Imagine turning a head or two here and there. Then you get a compliment, a whistle, turn more heads, encounter an obnoxious idiot or two, deal with the jealous boyfriends or girlfriends, the downright haters, and everybody else in between--all while you're just trying to live a normal life--I'm sure it wears some people down.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:32 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,837,185 times
I would hate to have people fawning all over me, whether it was because of beauty, brains, money, anything else. That's just creepy. I wouldn't mind having a more efficient metabolism (translated: I want to eat ice cream and not gain weight). I would be grateful if I woke up tomorrow morning and was in excellent health, around 50% more fit than I am currently, 50 pounds lighter, had no cellulite, my hair was suddenly magically thick and shiny, my hearing restored to near perfection, my eyelids no longer drooping, my skin not showing signs of aging, and my hip not being sore all the time.

Beauty - eh. I don't need to be gorgeous. Better than how I am now? Sure. But no, not striking, or gorgeous, or perfect. I'd be bored with that. Plus it attracts people who only care about what they see, and not what they know.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:31 AM

10 posts, read 18,797 times
Beauty and fashion =/= confidence - they can help, but they're icing on the cake and no substitute for the true confidence that stems from the inner strength to handle more important life problems.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:46 AM

8,410 posts, read 39,296,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tough Questions View Post
I was walking down the street with a woman friend of mine and we passed one of the most beautiful and fashionable lady I had ever seen. This woman had the most beautiful hair, an incredible face, a shapely body and flawless skin. She was also incredibly fashionable and poised. My lady friend said, "I wonder what it would be like to be her?"

This made me think about the link between beauty, fashion and confidence. If my somewhat plain looking friend could wave a magic wand and all of a sudden look exactly like that beauty queen would she magically be more confident and successful? I think so, because everyone would treat her like a queen. What do you think?
Its just a different set of problems. It just depends on what bugs you. Women treat you like crap and guys are only nice to you because they want to see you naked. I don't think that is very queen like. When a guy opens the door for you looking like that...its not to be nice...its so he can check out your cheeks on you passing by.

I don't think it has any effect on people taking you seriously or not.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:09 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,477,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I would like that. Things were easier for me when I was young becasue I had some of that easy-breezy style. Now I don't and I know it, I'm much less comfortable in my own skin and it's creeps into every part of my life.
Yes, and if we're not careful, it's an attitude towards others that can follow us around in everything we say or do (baaaah.....)!

Old 05-02-2010, 07:25 PM

50,432 posts, read 64,199,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
Here are my experiences:
When I was younger and in college professors would bump up my grades if I went in to talk to them about a problem I had on an exam, etc. Now I am a pretty intelligent individual but I think the jaw dropping as I stood at the doorway gave them away.
Next, anytime I've gone to a job interview it doesn't matter if the interviewer is a male or female, if I make up my mind that I want that particular job....guess what I get it. My chances skyrocket if it's a male interviewer.
Now the bad side of this is that throughout my career women co-workers have hated me!! Nevermind that I am funny, and easygoing as well as a hard worker, but the ugly, older women just plain despised me the minute they set eyes on me. As a result I tend to gravitate towards other good looking women who are self assured.
Now my daughter has this problem as well. She is STUNNING and looks just like a perfect mixture of myself and my DH. I have to tell her not to make eye contact with men lest they think she's interested and all hell breaks loose with the boyfriend.
MY DH has learned to live with this (my being attractive) and has warned my DD boyfriend about life married to an extremely beautiful woman.
Now, I don't want to toot my own horn but even at my age, almost 40, I STILL get the jaw drops when I walk into a room and just last week someone said to me that I was "movie star" gorgeous Now I never get tired of hearing that...so in answer to the OP, while I don't have flawless skin, I have always been treated differently because of my looks one way or another.
I have always been fairly attractive, but not what you describe. I think there is no shame in using the assets you are given, and don't apologize for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty