Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 08:52 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,707,895 times

Advertisements

That's a bit of a strange question so let me clear it up: I feel god damn awesome when I wear a suit. I just got one this past week, tailored and everything. I'm a chubby guy and a lot of clothes like t-shirts and what not don't really flatter my form. Polos are pretty decent as are button-downs. Anyway, I put on the suit today just to make sure everything fit and I felt like a million bucks. If it wasn't 90F outside I would have just worn it all day. I hate to sound vain but I really looked damn good, or at least I thought so. And that sort of confidence shines through in whatever else I do. I've worn suits a few times before (classy events, a job interview, high school graduation) and I felt very confident each time.

That being said, I'm a college student at a big public university. I would stick out like a sore thumb if I dressed like I was going to work at Goldman Sachs each day. I really like how I feel when I wear suits though.

How do y'all suggest I strike a balance between looking and feeling professional without seeming too stuffy? I've never been one to dress up, my go-to clothes are a pair of jeans and a t-shirt (usually with something on it). If I wanna look a little better I wear a polo or a button-down, especially in the fall and winter. I think it's partly because I feel comfortable in those clothes and I've been wanting to give the impression that I'm a very down-to-earth individual. Unfortunately I'm growing up, and soon I'll be entering the workforce, and I think I need to look a little more put-together without sacrificing that casual feel.

Oh and if it matters, I'm 20 (21 soon) years old. Most kids at my college dress pretty casually, in a classroom you'll see everything from sweatpants and sweatshirts to slacks with shirts tucked in, and occasionally some suits (usually on days when recruiters are on campus).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 08:56 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,184,617 times
How about a nice Robert Graham dress shirt and tailored pants? I feel pretty confident in that when I don't wear a suit. If you want more casual, replace the pants with dark jeans.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:23 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,918,492 times
I understand what you are talking about except I'm a woman.

I love wearing heals, dresses, and skirts. I wish I could every day dress in Bebe and Marciano clothing but I'm also a full-time student at a 4 year college. I'm 23, a little older than most of the students but still.

My college has a reputation for everyone dressing the same "j crew with a hangover" style.

So, if I dressed that way I would probably seem like I was trying too hard.

I don't have an answer for you. All I know is I always dress down at school, I don't want to appear too flashy. The way I go to school is never how I like to go out on my free time. If I go out later with friends most of whom already graduated I'll stop at home and put on a nice pair of heals.

Even when I run errands I like to look good.

Maybe if you got a part-time or internship at a company where suits were worn you would have a reason to wear it?

Old 08-07-2012, 06:49 AM

1,887 posts, read 7,945,900 times
A fitted blazer will make just about anything look good. I often wear suits for meetings & interviews but when I can get away with it, I'll throw on a blazer, cami and some pants and I'm ready for the day.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:33 AM

308 posts, read 897,828 times
Here is your master plan:

1) Loose 25 lbs. No excuses and no more "chubby guy" nonsense. If you have a beer belly in your early 20s, just imagine what you would look like when you turn 35. no suit will ever save you. hit the gym, you will thank me later.

2) Hip teens do not wear jeans . get some casual pants instead. a good alternative to jeans are blue/navy striped khakis.

3) Banana Republic, Brooks Brothers, and some other stores of similar caliber have some very nice dress shirts. Good quality polos would probably do the trick as well.

4) no hats, no graphic shirts (i.e. affliction, tapout, ed hardy and other embarrasing garbage), get yourself a nice watch within $700-1000 range. no facial hair.

5) ???

6) PROFIT!

Old 08-07-2012, 01:10 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,630,094 times
Most ppl on this board are an older over 30 demographic (myself included), so it's probably not the best place to get advise. My main suggestion is to get in shape & lose that gut. Take advantage of your university's health club. It's one of the best perks of being a college kid. Also, make nutrition & eating well a priority. So many of my friends gained 10~20 pounds in their mid to late 20's because they ate anything & everything they wanted. Ramen, pizza, pasta, sliders, beer aren't the breakfast of champions and you'll eventually pay for it once your metabolism slows. Lastly, for style/fashion tips head over to the MFA style board: Clothes Make The Man

Other than tumblr or blogs, that subreddit is probably the premier source of helpful hints for 20-something professional/preppy dress. One caveat is that they emphasize a very slim trim cut, with the assumption that every guy is as thin as Joseph Gordon Levitt.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:19 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,822,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzrOrange View Post

1) Loose 25 lbs. No excuses and no more "chubby guy" nonsense. If you have a beer belly in your early 20s, just imagine what you would look like when you turn 35. no suit will ever save you. hit the gym, you will thank me later.

2) Hip teens do not wear jeans . get some casual pants instead. a good alternative to jeans are blue/navy striped khakis.

3) Banana Republic, Brooks Brothers, and some other stores of similar caliber have some very nice dress shirts. Good quality polos would probably do the trick as well.

4) no hats, no graphic shirts (i.e. affliction, tapout, ed hardy and other embarrasing garbage), get yourself a nice watch within $700-1000 range. no facial hair.

5) ??? Go pants shopping and try on some pants and expensive jeans also--look for the best fitting brands you can and stick with those--the reason you love that suit is the fit but some jeans will also make you feel really good b/c of the fit. Those jeans with stretchy stuff in them tend to bag out at around 2:00 pm on so avoid those if you can.

6) PROFIT!
Profit? Oh yeah and echoed here on losing the weight--everything fits better when you do.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:37 PM

701 posts, read 1,565,105 times
Honestly, I don't even see why you can't just rock the suits like you want to. I remember a guy in my political science course who was always dressed sharp. I'm talking fitted blazer with a pocket square, bright colored button-down, starched trousers, and polished loafers. Hair combed back nicely. One day I just had to tell him that I just loved the way he dressed because he stood out, in a good way, from the crowd.

I went to a big public university as well and yeah, most people dressed down...way down...and he exuded so much confidence. Could have been like you in that he just felt better in a suit or dressed up in general.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzrOrange View Post

5) ???

6) PROFIT!
I agree with the loosing weight part but have to disagree with the "hip teens do not wear jeans". I see even stylish and well put together men in their 40's wearing jeans and making it work. It's a casual thing. Maybe it's a regional thing, but people can always dress jeans up with a nice blazer.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbelles View Post
Honestly, I don't even see why you can't just rock the suits like you want to. I remember a guy in my political science course who was always dressed sharp. I'm talking fitted blazer with a pocket square, bright colored button-down, starched trousers, and polished loafers. Hair combed back nicely. One day I just had to tell him that I just loved the way he dressed because he stood out, in a good way, from the crowd.

I went to a big public university as well and yeah, most people dressed down...way down...and he exuded so much confidence. Could have been like you in that he just felt better in a suit or dressed up in general.

I wonder how a woman could go about dressing a bit nicer than others without seeming like she is trying too hard. I much rather go to class in a pencil skirt with a nice blazer and tucked in button down, a dress, or jeans with a blazer but I feel like women are judged much more harshly/negatively than men for standing out in a homogenous environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty