Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 10:43 AM

61 posts, read 99,624 times

Advertisements

Are you a well dressed man? Or perhaps you know how to dress one?

I want to buy my husband a suit. And not the kind you see on your great uncle at a wedding. I want a beautiful suit that lays well and compliments his physique like only a beautiful suit can.

My husband is an attractive 30 year old who only wears button down shirts and cargo pants for his engineering work. He's not the kind to wear a t-shirt on his day off... he's always dressed well. However, he's never needed to own a suit, and has never purchased one.

Where do I start? How do men go about buying a suit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 06:33 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,619,937 times
If you can wait until summer time, make a trip out to the new Suit Supply store opening in SF. They're a Netherlands company that specialize in good quality affordable suits (around $700). But if he needs one very soon head over to Brooks Brothers. Their suits are pricey (over $1k) but fully-canvassed construction, with classic styling. If your husband is on the slimmer side, go for a Milano-cut suit. If he's of medium build or bulky, a Fitzgerald cut looks better. The most important part of any suit is to get it fitted & adjusted, like a wedding gown. Ask your sales associate at BB for recommendations for a local expert suit tailor. Expect to pay $125 to over $200 for alterations.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:09 PM

166 posts, read 240,889 times
1. Walk in to a store

2. Browse

3. Take suit to register

4. Pay for it

5. Wait until the clerk has put suit in a bag

6. Take suit home

I hope this helps. If you follow all 6 steps in order you are sure to come home with a suit. Good luck. If you have any trouble call me.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:04 AM

36 posts, read 107,392 times
There are many suits been available in the market, even from home you could do online shopping for buying suit it is not necessary you have to go out at market for buying an suit.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:10 AM

5,516 posts, read 8,762,507 times
Wherever you go to buy a suit, the most important thing to consider is fit. Can't emphasize that enough. Men in ill-fitting suits are a scourge of humanity. And they look like dorks.

This means you need to go someplace with a wide selction of suits so you can find something that approximates his build AND someplace that also has a good tailor on hand for alterations. (Yes, you can find the tailor afterward, but it's just more convenient to get it all done in one place.) And if he's never had a suit before I don't recommend buying one on line because you can't be sure of the fit or how the fabric will feel. Make the fit primary, the style (within reason) secondary. The selection, style, and fittings will usually be better in upscale stores like Brooks Brothers, Nordstrom's, Jos. A Banks (now part of Men's Wearhouse). Myself, I shop for suits at Brooks Brothers outlet stores--nice combination of styale, quality, fit and PRICE! But places like that can be slightly more conservative in what they offer. For a more contemporary or sportier look look you might consider smaller, boutique -type stores.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:55 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
If he is going to rarely wear it, I am not sure you need or should spend a fortune on it. As has been said, fit is very important.

When you see a "bad" suit, it is usually old, out of style, worn out, or very ill fitting.

Your likely going to need to take him with to try things on, and have measurements taken for fine tuning the tailoring of it.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:04 AM

684 posts, read 824,771 times
A proper suit should be done via tailor.

The sleeve should come to a quarter of an inch behind the sleeve cuff.

The color is dependent upon what you intend to use it for.

There should be no more than a fist's worth of space between the button and the user's chest.

The 2-button suit is more conservative, the 3-button more modern.

Consider what style of venting you want and what lapel. Each differing choice says something different about the person who wears this suit. Do not buy a ventless suit unless you're going to the world premier of Back to the Future.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:11 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thupermoon View Post
Where do I start? How do men go about buying a suit?
You can “buy him” a tie or underwear, but not a suit. He has to be there to try it on and then have it altered to his body. No suit will fit perfectly off the rack.

Find a reputable store within your price range and go in a talk to salesman. He’ll take your husband’s measurements and offer suggestions. If your husband is only going to have one suit, you want it as neutral as possible. I suggest a two-button in solid navy.

Old 03-22-2014, 05:31 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
very important- he needs to try on the suit first...particularly the jacket..
and,,if he has a large neck,, and needs to button the top button,,,you need to get the right measurements,
also, get expandable waistline on his pants ...in case he gains weight

i have a very hard time with suits, always have.

Old 03-22-2014, 07:40 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,729,615 times
Just make sure to get the suit tailored. Places like Men's Warehouse are pretty good. I just picked up a new suit this past week tailored for 300 bucks, a nice black suit to add to my closet. Don't buy all the extras they try to sell you. All that other stuff can be had for much cheaper at Kohl's or somewhere similar. White shirt, tie, belt, even shoes are cheaper elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty