Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 05:58 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,833,652 times

Advertisements

So I have a job interview in a week and a half or so and need to get a suit as the job is a managerial position and they are flying me down the east coast to meet at their corporate offices to discuss a job with me.

Any tips on certain colors, styles, and/or brands that would work the best? I don't want to look overdressed but at the same time I don't want to look like I don't know how to put a matching outfit together.

I am an Asian male with semi-tan skin, thin as a twig, and I stand at 5'11".

A friend of mine said that a gray suit with dark purple undershirt may look good? Not too sure what the guidelines are for picking out certain colors as I always like to stick to black lol.

Any advice is helpful! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 06:31 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
What's your shoulder width? What industry?

I'd go with a good quality, well fitting dark gray suit with a white shirt. But the industry may suggest some additional shirt options.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:38 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times
Dark gray suit with a white shirt is good. Forget the purple shirt recommended by your friend. You will also need a nice tie and nice black shoes. Any nice men's shop, such as Men's Warehouse or Men's dept at Macy's, can help you out.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
What's your shoulder width? What industry?

I'd go with a good quality, well fitting dark gray suit with a white shirt. But the industry may suggest some additional shirt options.
No clue what my shoulder width is. Don't they measure it when I go in and look for one?

What industry is the job? It's for a multi-million dollar marketing firm.

Dark gray suit with white shirt sounds good. Do black shoes look best or brown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Dark gray suit with a white shirt is good. Forget the purple shirt recommended by your friend. You will also need a nice tie and nice black shoes. Any nice men's shop, such as Men's Warehouse or Men's dept at Macy's, can help you out.
What color do you recommend for ties? Skinny or wider? Black shoes better than brown ones?

Old 07-01-2012, 07:17 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Old military saying, "pay attention to detail". Don't focus on the suit and forget the fine details. While they won't see your underware or undershirt, a well made properly fitting undergarment will help. Next is good socks. Look for a type of dress sock that matches the suit AND will not fall to your ankles. Jewelry is next up. Options include tie tack, cuff links, wrist watch, and ring. A nice watch is a must. Tie tack and cuff links I'd consider optional. If you wear a ring, only wear one. Some straight out of college may want to wear their school or frat ring. Skip it. Save the school or frat pride for after you nail the job. Interview pointers,...don't look at your watch, don't leave your cell phone on, keep both feet on the floor, get a manicure (have a girl friend do it to save you money), don't bite your nails or twist your hair, make eye contact, use firm grip for handshake, brace yourself for off the wall crazy questions, don't eat a meal before the interview (food in teeth), don't drink before interview (caffiene nervous or frequent bathroom breaks), learn about the company and ask questions about the company, don't ask what the company has to offer you, show what you have to offer the company. There are many more things to do or not do for a job interview than what I listed.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:14 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,308,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
So I have a job interview in a week and a half or so and need to get a suit as the job is a managerial position and they are flying me down the east coast to meet at their corporate offices to discuss a job with me.

Any tips on certain colors, styles, and/or brands that would work the best? I don't want to look overdressed but at the same time I don't want to look like I don't know how to put a matching outfit together.

I am an Asian male with semi-tan skin, thin as a twig, and I stand at 5'11".

A friend of mine said that a gray suit with dark purple undershirt may look good? Not too sure what the guidelines are for picking out certain colors as I always like to stick to black lol.

Any advice is helpful! Thanks!
Speaking from personal experience, You are probably better off with a quality tailored, dark blue or gray suit and either a plain white or blue shirt without French cuffs. Additionally, forget the pocket squares and other accessories. Now, since you stated you are thin, you may be able to pull off a narrower-than-normal tie. However, I would stick with a solid color, namely dk red or burgundy. Add a nice set of black wingtip shoes and you are set. I have always found that keeping things conservative and simple, yet classic works wonders.

Once you have secured the position, then you could probably wear the accessories, and experiment with purple and other non-traditional color shirts.

Last edited by Gil3; 07-02-2012 at 11:28 AM..

Old 07-02-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
No clue what my shoulder width is. Don't they measure it when I go in and look for one?

What industry is the job? It's for a multi-million dollar marketing firm.

Dark gray suit with white shirt sounds good. Do black shoes look best or brown?

What color do you recommend for ties? Skinny or wider? Black shoes better than brown ones?
First, good luck on the interview! I do not like brown shoes, so I would go with black or maybe a very dark gray. You will get more wear out of black shoes. No skinny ties. Try to find one that has some gray in it. If you can afford to go to an upscale men's store, if only for the tie, someone can help you pick out a nice one. Maybe subdued stripes or pattern, but no wild colors. Make sure that you have nice socks, too. You don't want them sagging at your ankles.

Look online at Men's Wearhouse or Brooks Brothers for some ideas.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:44 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,478,654 times
I used to work for a company that was based in northern New Jersey and worked out of their Philly office. Pretty much lived in either a navy blue or dark gray suit. White shirts were the only option, except for Fridays when we could sneak in a blue one. A white dress shirt will have a spread collar or a point collar, do not buy a button down dress shirt. Get the shirt dry cleaned with a little starch so it stays wrinkle free.

You can never go wrong with black wingtips, just make sure you buy the type that lace up and not slip on. For an interview a nice, bold red tie is the way to go.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Old military saying, "pay attention to detail". Don't focus on the suit and forget the fine details. While they won't see your underware or undershirt, a well made properly fitting undergarment will help. Next is good socks. Look for a type of dress sock that matches the suit AND will not fall to your ankles. Jewelry is next up. Options include tie tack, cuff links, wrist watch, and ring. A nice watch is a must. Tie tack and cuff links I'd consider optional. If you wear a ring, only wear one. Some straight out of college may want to wear their school or frat ring. Skip it. Save the school or frat pride for after you nail the job. Interview pointers,...don't look at your watch, don't leave your cell phone on, keep both feet on the floor, get a manicure (have a girl friend do it to save you money), don't bite your nails or twist your hair, make eye contact, use firm grip for handshake, brace yourself for off the wall crazy questions, don't eat a meal before the interview (food in teeth), don't drink before interview (caffiene nervous or frequent bathroom breaks), learn about the company and ask questions about the company, don't ask what the company has to offer you, show what you have to offer the company. There are many more things to do or not do for a job interview than what I listed.
Awesome advice! I'd rep you again, but it seems like I've already done so in another thread lol.

I totally forgot about socks and also the wrist watch. Going to have to get some good sets of those. My fingers are very oddly shaped, so I think I will have to skip the ring, as much as I would like one. My fingers are thin and then the joint in the middle is like a bulging bone lol, so rings aren't able to fit on my fingers without sliding around.

And I definitely won't be giving away any immature indications, such as wearing class rings. In fact, I never went to college and graduated HS exactly one year ago lol.

Thank you again for the awesome tips and information!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
Speaking from personal experience, You are probably better off with a quality tailored, dark blue or gray suit and either a plain white or blue shirt without French cuffs. Additionally, forget the pocket squares and other accessories. Now, since you stated you are thin, you may be able to pull off a narrower-than-normal tie. However, I would stick with a solid color, namely dk red or burgundy. Add a nice set of black wingtip shoes and you are set. I have always found that keeping things conservative and simple, yet classic works wonders.

Once you have secured the position, then you could probably wear the accessories, and experiment with purple and other non-traditional color shirts.
I totally agree with this and will stick to the more conservative look as it is always accepted in many more situations than non-traditional styles. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
First, good luck on the interview! I do not like brown shoes, so I would go with black or maybe a very dark gray. You will get more wear out of black shoes. No skinny ties. Try to find one that has some gray in it. If you can afford to go to an upscale men's store, if only for the tie, someone can help you pick out a nice one. Maybe subdued stripes or pattern, but no wild colors. Make sure that you have nice socks, too. You don't want them sagging at your ankles.

Look online at Men's Wearhouse or Brooks Brothers for some ideas.
Thank you! Black it is. Does Armani count as upscale? I would be going down to 5th Ave but unfortunately can't work that trip into my schedule. However, there is an Armani store around here somewhere I believe.

Thank you for the tips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
I used to work for a company that was based in northern New Jersey and worked out of their Philly office. Pretty much lived in either a navy blue or dark gray suit. White shirts were the only option, except for Fridays when we could sneak in a blue one. A white dress shirt will have a spread collar or a point collar, do not buy a button down dress shirt. Get the shirt dry cleaned with a little starch so it stays wrinkle free.

You can never go wrong with black wingtips, just make sure you buy the type that lace up and not slip on. For an interview a nice, bold red tie is the way to go.
Thank you so much! Awesome info!

Old 07-02-2012, 03:31 PM

Armani should work! They will have staff who can help you put a corporate look together. Personally, I would skip wingtips but do get a nice pair of black laceups. Not sure about the red tie because red is a power sign. However, it has been a long time since I have interviewed anyone, so I am definitely not the expert--I just know what I like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty