Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 03:26 PM

701 posts, read 1,565,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I wonder how a woman could go about dressing a bit nicer than others without seeming like she is trying too hard. I much rather go to class in a pencil skirt with a nice blazer and tucked in button down, a dress, or jeans with a blazer but I feel like women are judged much more harshly/negatively than men for standing out in a homogenous environment.
Women are judged more harshly in every aspect of life, I feel, but really sometimes you gotta tell the world to go **** itself and do what you want if you want to be happy. My college uniform was jeans and a blazer and I never cared of people talked about me. I refused to give into sweatshirts, uggs, and north face jackets and always stood out because of it, but so what? My outfits made me feel good and I dress for me, no one else. If anyone thinks I'm trying too hard, they can go kick rocks while figuring out how to get on my level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 08:35 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,975,551 times
I was once heavy, and I lost a lot of weight. Now I am on the thin side ... and I have a new love affair with clothes.

But, I understand where you're coming from.

Don't wear jeans or T-shirts ... and definitely NOT tank-tops (undershirts, "wife-beaters").

Do not wear clothes that are too tight. Looks awful on chubby people. Wear looser fitting clothes.

Never wear a shirt with horizontal stripes. Better to wear a shirt with vertical stripes.

Don't wear pants that have pleated fronts.

Wanna look and feel great? I would suggest you go for a "preppy" look ... clean, pressed khaki pants in a light khaki or tan or light gray color; a clean pressed Oxford cotton shirt (short sleeve during the hottest days of summer, otherwise long sleeve) with button-down collar; nice loafer shoes; as someone mentioned before a nice classy looking watch.

The key is to be squeaky clean and immaculately groomed. Hair cut from a professional stylist. Nails trimmed. Shoes shined. Always wear fresh clean underwear and socks. If you're going to wear after-shave or cologne, only the expensive stuff (never the cheap stuff) and just a few drops on your temple or earlobe.

You will feel great if you know you are not a slob, you are impeccably dressed and groomed even if you're wearing casual clothes.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:23 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,370,565 times
If casual, nothing wrong with wearing jeans, t-shirts, etc. I say, why fight it, and instead just refine those a little bit. I would focus definitely on getting stuff thats well fitted. Your style will come over time, so that being said some key items that helped me

1) Jeans - Dark, straight-cut, plain, clean, no butt pocket designs or fading or anything like that. Well fitted like your suit pants, but a tad looser
2) T-Shirts - If you must, no logos, dark neutral colors
3) Sneakers - Classics like Adidas Stan Smiths. No Steve Jobs New Balance
4) Nice Shoes - Dark Brown, oxfords plain toe. Could double up with Jeans or Slacks
5) Blazer - Blue Blazer, tailored.
6) Button Downs - Tailored, tucked in, simple colors and patterns
7) Winter Coat - Wool Pea Coat. Lose the Technical/North Face stuff

Old 08-07-2012, 10:44 PM

309 posts, read 516,786 times
OP, gichicago has given some great ideas. You can easily pair the blazer with dark wash jeans to give a clean sharp look.

Would like to add this:
what you described means clothes with structured cut flatter your shape. Suits are the most structured pieces as opposed to laid back t-shirt and pants.

However, not all t-shirts are created equal, if you examine the fabric, how the pieces are sewn together, and the style, try on various designs and you will soon find there are t-shirts that are relatively structured complimenting your silouette rather than dragging it down. Same goes for jeans and casual shoes.

Pay attention to similar clothing, one makes you look trim and energetic while the other screams blah. You will see the difference made with good structured design, like how the suits make you feel.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:33 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,922,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
If casual, nothing wrong with wearing jeans, t-shirts, etc. I say, why fight it, and instead just refine those a little bit. I would focus definitely on getting stuff thats well fitted. Your style will come over time, so that being said some key items that helped me

1) Jeans - Dark, straight-cut, plain, clean, no butt pocket designs or fading or anything like that. Well fitted like your suit pants, but a tad looser
2) T-Shirts - If you must, no logos, dark neutral colors
3) Sneakers - Classics like Adidas Stan Smiths. No Steve Jobs New Balance
4) Nice Shoes - Dark Brown, oxfords plain toe. Could double up with Jeans or Slacks
5) Blazer - Blue Blazer, tailored.
6) Button Downs - Tailored, tucked in, simple colors and patterns
7) Winter Coat - Wool Pea Coat. Lose the Technical/North Face stuff

That the perfect style for a man...sounds hot.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:36 PM
s06

105 posts, read 256,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
...How do y'all suggest I strike a balance between looking and feeling professional without seeming too stuffy?...
Well, in fashion, exposing more skin gives a more casual appearance. Since you said that you don't want to appear to wear a corporate uniform to class, I'd recommend rolling up the sleeves of a vertical-patterned, button-down shirt to three-quarter length, leaving the top, collar button undone, and pairing it with khaki pants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty