Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2010, 06:50 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,672,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
In truth no one gives a damn about your tattoo's since they are your cross to bear.

I, on the other hand, can see beyond your defense of aberrant behavior to think of the youth that may be , and most likely are, influenced by the tattoo's that you ,and many others, find so "cool" now but will regret them as time makes your skin age and sag into a mess of colors that mean nothing while causing all who have then to be judged "light in the brain department" by a society that has tired of this body vandalizm of foolish impressionable young people.

There is the lifetime risks that goes with damaging the bodies first line of defense against bacteria and all the other micro-organisims that want to harm us.
"You could be the proud owner of a new tattoo in a matter of hours — but don't let the ease of getting tattoos stop you from making a thoughtful decision about permanent body art. If you first take steps to protect yourself from possible risks, what seems like a cool idea now is less likely to turn into a source of regret later.

Tattoos: Understand risks and precautions - MayoClinic.com

There is "TATTOO'S Deadly Little Secret"...... TATTOOS Deadly Little Secret

Then consider these facts.......
"RNs are well positioned to strongly encourage their clients to consider all pros and cons before taking the tattoo plunge. Ask questions such as:

* "is a permanent: tattoo really worth the health risks and pain?"

* "Might the tattoo be evident in future wedding photos?"

* "Might being tattooed damage employment or promotional chances with certain employers (certain jobs are not available to people who have visible body art)?"

* "What if you don't like it? Do you have enough money to get it taken off?"

Tattoo Safe and Health Risk
Ah, words of wisdom from 'Dial-The-Truth Ministries'. Sorry if I don't trust a religious ministry website that has a complete and utter bias of talking people out of getting tattooed. It's too bad that all the cases presented used words like 'potential' and 'could have been' and 'maybe'.... all the sources mentioned also say that these 'fatal' illnesses were caused NOT BY the act of tattooing, but by inconsistent sanitation practices of the tattoo parlor. Using used needles, dirty machinery and not understanding bloodborne pathogens.

Conclusion? The illnesses were not caused by the act of tattooing, but by the foolish, uneducated receivers of those tattoos. I would NEVER EVER get tattooed by anyone who didn't abide by the strictest of sanitation rules and used single use needles on EVERY SINGLE person.

It even states, multiple times that the illnesses were caused by dirty equipment, not by the act of tattooing itself. If you're stupid enough to get a $45 tattoo in someones garage than you're definitely opening yourself up to trouble.

I've never been that stupid, and the two tattoo parlors that I've gone too have spore tests done regularly on their autoclave machines, constantly use sanitizer everywhere, all of their employees have taken classes on bloodbourne pathogens and they use separate single use needles for each and every tattoo they do. They also go through more glove changes than I've ever seen any of my dentists or doctors do. In fact, the parlor I currently go to looks more like a dentists office than a tattoo place.

Old 05-23-2010, 06:59 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,830,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
If you're stupid enough to get a $45 tattoo in someones garage than you're definitely opening yourself up to trouble.
The saying "a good tattoo isn't cheap; a cheap tattoo isn't good" comes to mind.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:32 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,712,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emi__ View Post
I love piercings (including stretched piercings), scarification, tattoos, split tongues, flesh pulls, suspension, and all sorts of things that involve modification of the body.

Some tattoos and some piercings can be trashy (tramp stamp, tribal armbands, too many piercings around the mouth, etc)... but when you really look within the community, you'll see skill, love, and art.

Did anyone notice that the young woman with the tattoo had an adult lady ,with no tattoo's, on her back? Now to me that's funny in a sick manner. One woman with & one woman without so you can tell who's the wiser.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:59 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,672,872 times
Quote:
Did anyone notice that the young woman with the tattoo had an adult lady ,with no tattoo's, on her back? Now to me that's funny in a sick manner. One woman with & one woman without so you can tell who's the wiser.
And maybe the woman portrayed in the tattoo has a few underneath her dress. I think you'd be surprised at how many people do... my bank teller for many years had half sleeves and her ENTIRE back solidly covered in ink and I had no idea until I saw her in the audience at a show I was playing.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:11 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,830,289 times
Quote:
If that's your argument, I'm awfully disappointed.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:19 PM

2,633 posts, read 4,062,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I know some people will say I'm too conservative. But I think tatoos are trashy. I don't see what is attractive about having colored ink on ones skin. Not to mention the fact that people complain about not having money, yet they're blowing it on tatoos, piercings and other nonsense.

I also tend to think that people who get tattoos, especially those who have a lot of them, have something that's a little off about them emotionally.

Does anyone else, agree? Disagree? I'm sure the people who have tatoos will disagree and most of those who agree won't have them.
You're not alone. However, I your argument of excessiveness can apply to anything, not just tattoos. There's a natural tendency to justify oneself by being flashy about material possessions, etc.: Being overly flashy shadows other insecurities.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:39 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,231,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
You're not alone. However, I your argument of excessiveness can apply to anything, not just tattoos. There's a natural tendency to justify oneself by being flashy about material possessions, etc.: Being overly flashy shadows other insecurities.
This is very true. Flaunting oneself in non-material ways e.g. excessive boasting, also signals a deeper insecurity.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:44 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,712,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
And maybe the woman portrayed in the tattoo has a few underneath her dress. I think you'd be surprised at how many people do... my bank teller for many years had half sleeves and her ENTIRE back solidly covered in ink and I had no idea until I saw her in the audience at a show I was playing.
Doing something because someone else does makes you a follower being "light in brain department" in my book. I prefer to make my own intelligent choices which a tattoo is clearly not.

Eved wonder why people with tattoos often place them where they can hide them? That tells me that they are ashamed of the behavior for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emi__ View Post
If that's your argument, I'm awfully disappointed.
It was not an argument,pal.

It was an observation of what was posted.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:57 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,344,127 times
Quote:
Doing something because someone else does makes you a follower being "light in brain department" in my book. I prefer to make my own intelligent choices which a tattoo is clearly not.
Ha ha...you're light in the brain department. You like to post on C-D and since I doubt that you invented it you are a follower.

Look you're wearing clothes, just like other people. Light in the brains department.

so on, etc...

Old 05-24-2010, 06:01 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,722,083 times
I served in the Navy, and never felt obligated to despoil my body with a tattoo. Though I knew people who did, I did not associate myself with them. In fact, I pretty much kept to myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty