Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2010, 12:38 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,378,103 times

Advertisements

Oh lord, I remember growing up no teen girls had anything more than like, a flower or something on their ankle. Teenagers today have tramp stamps, full chest tats, even on their boobs, multiple piercings, etc. Why? Me personally, if I'm getting intimate with a girl, the LAST thing I want to see before touching her is a HUMONGOUS tattoo across her boobs saying "NOBODY'S LOVE" or a tramp stamp saying "MY MOM MADE ME" or some other thing like that. Eww.

Oh well. I guess it's less dangerous than those metal covered in cheap fabric wrist slaps that were popular when I was a teen. Can't help but wonder though what will happen when some of those teens get out of college and start looking for jobs, some in conservative environments (like engineering ... when I was working for Boeing defense systems, briefing generals on progress on their projects, I know that I would never be taken seriously no matter how smart or talented I was if I had visible tattoos and / or piercings.)

Old 05-22-2010, 01:10 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,983,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I know some people will say I'm too conservative. But I think tatoos are trashy. I don't see what is attractive about having colored ink on ones skin. Not to mention the fact that people complain about not having money, yet they're blowing it on tatoos, piercings and other nonsense.

I also tend to think that people who get tattoos, especially those who have a lot of them, have something that's a little off about them emotionally.

Does anyone else, agree? Disagree? I'm sure the people who have tatoos will disagree and most of those who agree won't have them.
I don't have any tattoos nor do I have any interest in them but I do have friends who have them and 1 of them was just telling me the other day that he regrets getting his tattoo because he feels it goes against him professionally. None of my female friends have tattoos and the people I know who have tattoos do have emotional issues but I don't use that against them because they're still good people. Most tattoos are trashy but there are some that hold special meanings to the people who have them but it's not something I'm into.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:17 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,099,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Your opinion is noted

How many people with tattoos do YOU know?

lots and lots and most of them have tats
from all walks of life

Old 05-22-2010, 04:30 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,712,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I definitely don't consider it 'vandalizing' but to each his or her own.

We may not 'need' it, but we 'want' it. I like my tattoos and each and every one of them have some sort of meaning to me. I received them WHILE getting my college degrees and it's simply something that I like.

If it's unacceptable in your family, then great! Luckily, my parents understand that I'm an adult and that I am capable of making decisions on my own. There's nothing wrong with me, and I consider myself an intelligent person who has a different taste in art than you do. My hubby's Father is a well known wildlife artist and he LOVES my tattoos. He thinks they're a great artistic expression .
The post quoted below is a good example of why tattoo's are nothing more than tribal markings best left to those who haven't joined the civilized world yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Mostly, it seems people either love them or hate them with still a sizable number who don't care one way or another. Tattoos don't cause lung disease, as smoking does, but there are far more ex-smokers than there are ex-tattooed people running around. Tattoos are for life unless one can afford to have them removed. I am a 41 year ex-smoker and I'm damn happy that tattoos were not the "in" thing to do when I was young or I might have a faded blob of ink somewhere on my body.
There is not much in the world that defines the word "ugly" better than a tattoo on old wrinkled skin. Just think of what your grandchildren will think of you in your old age.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:44 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,231,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
There is not much in the world that defines the word "ugly" better than a tattoo on old wrinkled skin. Just think of what your grandchildren will think of you in your old age.
See this post:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/fashi...l#post13870894

Old 05-22-2010, 04:47 PM

7,191 posts, read 4,782,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
OMG! Man, that's just so wrong.

Old 05-22-2010, 05:01 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,253,820 times
My dad had the 101st Airborne "Screaming Eagle" tattooed on his arm in WWII and I always thought it was sooooo cool.

For me personally, I wouldn't get one unless it was to commemorate some Earth-shattering event. (If the Cardinals had won the Super Bowl last year there's a real good chance I'd have gone out of my head with joy and gotten a Red Bird tattoo. And I'm a woman.)

BTW: I have a friend who is a very well known tattoo artist in L.A. He charges $350.00 an hour and has a waiting list.

Old 05-22-2010, 05:01 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,712,360 times
Quote:
Luckily, my parents understand that I'm an adult and that I am capable of making decisions on my own. .
If your parents are like most they know that once their child gets a tattoo there is no undoing it but you can bet they might have second thoughts about your sanity. They may never say anything because they love you and love can cover a lot of stupidity in a child's behavior.

Old 05-22-2010, 05:18 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,722,083 times
Quote:
I definitely don't consider it 'vandalizing' but to each his or her own.

We may not 'need' it, but we 'want' it. I like my tattoos and each and every one of them have some sort of meaning to me. I received them WHILE getting my college degrees and it's simply something that I like.

If it's unacceptable in your family, then great! Luckily, my parents understand that I'm an adult and that I am capable of making decisions on my own. There's nothing wrong with me, and I consider myself an intelligent person who has a different taste in art than you do. My hubby's Father is a well known wildlife artist and he LOVES my tattoos. He thinks they're a great artistic expression .
"Taggers" don't consider it vandalism either, they consider it "art" too. Yet that kind of "art" is against the law. Too bad it's not extended.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:17 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,613,482 times
I don't mind small, nicely done and well placed tattoos. Just one or two on a person.

Unfortunately for me, I was not aware I would develop that preference when I got a tattoo on my hip and shortly after a rather large one on my thigh when I was around 20. 17 years later I really really wish I could make them both disappear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty