Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2010, 12:40 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,966,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
I'm just wondering why and how a person makiing say, 10 bucks an hour (in this economy) justifies the expense? Versus, say groceries or gasoline (or movies or video games ) ? How do you fit this into your budget?
As a non smoker I wonder the same thing regarding those that smoke....

Am I the only one that wishes this thread would go out of style?

Old 05-03-2010, 12:48 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,223,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I base all my opinions on past personal experiences. For example, I don't like drunks--or even people who drink--because I've had negative experiences with those sorts of people in the past.

Yes, I'm "judging". But everyone has a right to "judge" others to protect themselves from potential harm.
So how is you judging people with tattoos protecting you from anything?

Old 05-03-2010, 12:51 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,713,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
a Judgement is an opinion formed. Not fact. You based what you said on absolutely nothing, while I based what I said on what YOU said. Basing a statement on an external supposition as I have is not a judgment call, but rather an extrapolation of fact from a situation.

So again - don't be so judgmental.
Wait, I had to think about what you said again. Which statement were you referring to? The statement that it is NORMAL for people to make judgements, that people make judgements all the time? That's not opinion, that's fact. My personal feelings about tattoos, on the other hand, are based on opinions formed from negative experiences with people who have had tattoos.

By avoiding contact with people who have tattoos, I avoid a repeat of the negative experiences I have had with people who had them. If I had negative experiences with Jews or black people, I would extend them across the board as well...IF I had them, which I haven't. Stereotypes exist for a good reason.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
As a non smoker I wonder the same thing regarding those that smoke....

Am I the only one that wishes this thread would go out of style?
I happened to quit smoking entirely before the massive price increases, but I still would have done so afterwards. I couldn't justify the expense. Before, it was cheaper to smoke than to eat.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:06 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,695,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I know some people will say I'm too conservative. But I think tatoos are trashy. I don't see what is attractive about having colored ink on ones skin. Not to mention the fact that people complain about not having money, yet they're blowing it on tatoos, piercings and other nonsense.

I also tend to think that people who get tattoos, especially those who have a lot of them, have something that's a little off about them emotionally.

Does anyone else, agree? Disagree? I'm sure the people who have tatoos will disagree and most of those who agree won't have them.
I agree with you.......I have a real dislike for the tattoos. They are just not beautiful in the least, at all.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Wait, I had to think about what you said again. Which statement were you referring to? The statement that it is NORMAL for people to make judgements, that people make judgements all the time? That's not opinion, that's fact. My personal feelings about tattoos, on the other hand, are based on opinions formed from negative experiences with people who have had tattoos.

By avoiding contact with people who have tattoos, I avoid a repeat of the negative experiences I have had with people who had them. If I had negative experiences with Jews or black people, I would extend them across the board as well...IF I had them, which I haven't. Stereotypes exist for a good reason.
The fact that you blanket all people based on a few negative experiences worries me. Correlation does not imply causation.

Stereotypes exist because people are too ignorant to research the root causes of problems, but rather take what happens at face value.

Do you understand what a correlation is?

Old 05-03-2010, 01:24 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,153,955 times
I am totally opposed to tattoos. They are absurd. I never had them, and proud to say I never will. What a bunch of cornball-jabronies who have tattoos!

Last edited by loose cannon; 05-03-2010 at 01:33 PM..

Old 05-03-2010, 01:28 PM

914 posts, read 1,808,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I know some people will say I'm too conservative. But I think tatoos are trashy. I don't see what is attractive about having colored ink on ones skin. Not to mention the fact that people complain about not having money, yet they're blowing it on tatoos, piercings and other nonsense.

I also tend to think that people who get tattoos, especially those who have a lot of them, have something that's a little off about them emotionally.

Does anyone else, agree? Disagree? I'm sure the people who have tatoos will disagree and most of those who agree won't have them.
I think people get to do whatever they want with their bodies without the judgement of you or the millions of people who think it's trashy, because people with tattoos like us think you're probably rigid, boring, and stereotypical. Our bodies are a temple people worship it different ways. I said in the last post about someone who didn't like tattoos and i'll say it again; I am successful and I have visible tattoos on my body and I am still taken professionally. Saying that, I have money, and I don't "blow" my money, because i'm responsible too.
Personally, I prefer guys with tattoos as well, it shows expression, a certain lifestyle I also possess that a bunch of stiffs, turn-your-nose-up assumptions people don't.
If you say people with tattoos seem to be a little off, I say an adult spelling the word "tattoo" is a little off too.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
The fact that you blanket all people based on a few negative experiences worries me. Correlation does not imply causation.

Stereotypes exist because people are too ignorant to research the root causes of problems, but rather take what happens at face value.

Do you understand what a correlation is?
Yes, it is that thing that says if I cook, the food will generally end up burned. So it is best if I don't cook. It doesn't happen ALL the time, but it does happen with enough frequency to keep me from doing it.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Yes, it is that thing that says if I cook, the food will generally end up burned. So it is best if I don't cook. It doesn't happen ALL the time, but it does happen with enough frequency to keep me from doing it.

What if you try to improve yourself instead of throwing around such blanket statements?

People can learn to cook.

Similarly, people can learn to overcome irrational aversions to people with tattoos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty