Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2008, 08:59 PM

884 posts, read 2,644,117 times

Advertisements

I also love her hair

YouTube - L'oreal Infallible Lipstick review
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2008, 10:18 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,557,330 times
Part of the problem with dreadlocks is they lock in dead or loose hair. Hair that would normally fall out through brushing or showering stays locked into those locks. You may not agree with the stereotype but people with dreads are usually looked upon as dirty stoners. Part of this comes from the Rastafarians.

Old 12-25-2008, 10:28 PM

Hair that is on ones head is not alive anyway!. I think the stereotype greatly depends on where you live. Areas with a large number of uneducated people tend to think all loc'ers are on drugs.

Old 12-26-2008, 05:12 PM

28 posts, read 100,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbluelandrover View Post
I have locs. I am a professional black woman with an MBA and I work for the Federal Government outside of DC. There are many, many black professionals here that wear natural styles and locs. Most have very neatly groomed locs and wear them curly, rolled, pinned in a bun etc.. I love them and they are so versatile. I wash my hair more now than I did when it was relaxed.

This woman is my LOC IDOL I LOVE her hair and she is just GORGEOUS!

YouTube - REQUEST- LOC UPDO

Someone tell me she is not fly!... And by the way I have NEVER done drugs.

HOWEVER, I don't like my men wearing locs. I like men either faded or bald.
Yes, her hair is hot in that clip! Actually, it reminds me of my own!

Unfortunately, not many loc or natural heads in my workplace. In a building of hundreds, I am the odd woman out.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,663 times
i have dreads and someone that i was dating, for quite sometime actually finally said to me i could never be serious with you ... you have dreads. i was taken back for a second of course, but then it came to me that this person i "liked" was very ignorant, self absorbed and closed minded. now im looking for a dating website or service for people like me (with dreads) lol.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:07 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,977,964 times
poop locks

Old 12-27-2008, 12:11 AM

You know what? I never liked locs when I was younger. My frame of reference was either Bob Marley, Lenny Kravitz or Whoppi Goldberg and I do not care for the 'wild' locs. Then as I got older I noticed people were grooming them better, keeping them clean and styling them. I was never a big fan of relaxers so I was looking for a more natural approach to styling my hair. I wore braids but adding that fake hair really bothered me. So I loc'd my hair and have no regrets.

Some people have negative things to say out of pure ignorance. (it has been expressed in here in many comments). There is a HUGE difference in a African American with naturally kinky hair getting locs -vs- a caucasian getting locs. There are very sticky molding products that are used for the latter. Also I don't know of many whites that can go for a week without washing the hair because of oil building up in the hair. Black hair coils and those oils never make it down the shaft so we tend to have dry hair. If I were to wash daily--that would dry my hair completely out.

However, Love who you are and all of the physical attributes that God gave you. Natural kinky hair is the texture you were born with...now WORK IT! : )

Old 12-28-2008, 08:57 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,178,416 times
I'm loving the fact that professional people with locks are posting in this thread.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:59 AM

37,653 posts, read 46,077,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbluelandrover View Post
Umm...I think she looks like she has a head full of snakes. Not attractive, IMO.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:29 AM

28 posts, read 100,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Umm...I think she looks like she has a head full of snakes. Not attractive, IMO.

Aw, don't be so jealous!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty