Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 06:03 AM

17 posts, read 55,109 times

Advertisements

My current boyfriend had dreads when i first met him, i think thats what caught my attention, and attracted me to him in the first place honestly. Thankfully it wasnt all that attracted me to him, cuz he shaved them all off, I have to admit, shaving them off was absolutely disgusting. He washed his dreads every other day with special dread shampoo, and he also had special mosturizers for dread locks, and even with how much he took care of his hair, his scalp was nastyyy, i dont think ive ever seen that much dandruff.

dreads are still hot tho =] ha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 06:47 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,184,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbluelandrover View Post
Corporate America CAN get sued over discriminating about silly things such as hairstyles. If I am an Accountant, Financial professional, IT--basically someone chained to a desk all day and not interracting with the public--What difference does it make how someone wears their hair?. It is ok that LovesMountains does not like dreds but it is NOT ok to project that dislike like it should have any basis in a hiring decision. Especially when there are way more ways a person can present themselves in a distasteful manner. I think because dreds are mainly worn by us people of color it is difficult for us to not take that dislike as a personal attack on a feature that is very distinctive to us--our hair.

Loves..let it go. There is a Hairstory that you do not know about or understand and we are ruining the forum even trying to go there. I will say that educated people maintain locs and wash them and take very good care of them. Insulting them is like insulting our skin color.
Really, it's the people who don't take care of them that give all of us a bad reputation. You know the ones. They decide to cut their dreads and there is a whole bunch of nasty buildup because they didn't maintain them properly. In reality, dreads require more care than most hairstyles. The locks and the scalp both need equal care. They both need to be washed. There's no room for slacking or half-assing it. I have never spent less than half an hour washing my locks and scalp. It pays off. People who don't take proper care of their locks ruin it for us. They're one of the reasons many dread stereotypes are still around. Dreads are still hair, and have to be taken care of just like other hairstyles. They require a little more care, but oh well. You want them to look and smell nice, you'll do what it takes.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:55 PM

257 posts, read 1,059,485 times
I love a man with locs. They are a big plus in my book.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:56 AM

249 posts, read 474,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
roll your eyes all you want - I am not dictator of anything, I'm just a messenger of a message you don't like. You can disagree all you want, but when you don't get that promotion you might be hoping for one day you might want to consider that a less professional look contributed to that.
I have a question.. you said that cornrows are unprofessional... I ask the question again " What in your opinion would be a professional hairstyle for black people" Because it sounds to me like you are saying that in order to conform to professional standards we need to have hair like white people in order to succeed. I am hoping that I am misunderstanding what I am hearing from you.
It would be a sad day, if I am correct in what your saying "professional means only wavy silky herbal essences hair need only apply for this job"

Old 01-02-2009, 01:05 AM

249 posts, read 474,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You keep saying that, and I keep trying to tell you - I'm not the one trying to set the standard - I'm only telling you that there are standards. It is what it is....
It is sad that if this standard means that only those with straight,silky herbal essences hair need only apply. My question to anyone who objects to the natural state of our hair curly,nappy and course " What should our hair look like in your opinion" Jeepgirl stated that she would not hire anyone who wore there natural hair that is black so What should our hair look like in your opinion ?

Loves I got a question " how old are you" ? you sound like your from a very different generation "where a black president is not allowed " perhaps mid to late 40's early 50's and jeep sounds like she is in her 40's or 50's as well. The country has changed and what use to be a taboo ie nappy hair is now acceptable in Corporate America.

Last edited by aleecya; 01-02-2009 at 01:20 AM..

Old 01-22-2009, 11:04 AM

983 posts, read 3,602,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Have you ever rejected somebody simply because they had dreadlocks?
No, I haven't.

Quote:
Are they a turn off to you?
Not really.

Quote:
Would you ever date somebody with dreadlocks?
Why not?

Old 01-22-2009, 10:12 PM

937 posts, read 2,837,352 times
Looks ugly.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:50 AM

47 posts, read 107,749 times
To the OP -- love, love, love locs on men and women....and for me, seeing a guy with locs is a bonus - i believe having locs draws attention to the person, in a good way. And I'm not just talking about black men, I have seen the style on white and asian men -- and like previous posters have said, its about how that particular individual takes care of their locs and make them work for their own personal style. I will admit though, most times it definitely looks more attractive on black men...but when other ethinicities manage to get it right....it looks good!

As to all the hateration happening on this thread -- let it be. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, however ignorant or small-minded it may seem to others. Generational and geographical differences I'm sure accounts for a lot of it - if we took a poll of those who don't like dreads, I'd guess if they aren't already, they're close to hitting age 50 soon and live in areas where ...let's just say...not incredibly diverse?

Or it could be they just don't like locs....whatev'.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:49 PM

11,406 posts, read 24,502,244 times
I can't believe this thread is still going.

A friend just sent me this. Felt it was appropriate. Saturday Night Live - Digital Short: Ras Trent Video by Saturday Night Live - MySpace Video

Peace and love, ya'll.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:15 PM

937 posts, read 2,837,352 times
Its not small minded, I just think its ugly. Looks dirty and distasteful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty