Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: At what age should women stop shopping in juniors?
20s 63 24.51%
30s 49 19.07%
40s 12 4.67%
50s or older 10 3.89%
Never! 123 47.86%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 10:23 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,982,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
So true. So sick of the "REAL women have curves" BS. That's just propaganda to make fat women feel accepted. I have nothing against fat people but it really unhealthy so I don't know why society feels the need to encourage people to accept it. They should be losing it- not accepting that it's ok. It's not ok to be unhealthy.
So based on your logic, only smaller people should get cute clothes?

Weight/size has absolutely no relationship to style.

Juniors clothing is generally cut for a certain body type. Every brand has a different fit model. SOme brands are cut for people with no defined hips, of defined waists, or little differentiation between thighs and calves. Other clothes are cut for people with a big difference in hips and waist, or small busts, or large busts, or short waists or long torsos. Unfortunately women's clothing manufactures refus to standardize or even define what sort of body type they are designing the clothing for and everyone ends up having problems with fit and deciphering sizes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 05:48 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,207,764 times
I really don't know or care what ages shop in juniors.
All I do know is some of the women I encounter who are desperately trying to
pretend they're 17, but are really in their 30's, 40's & up--
come off as kind of pathetic.
It's ridiculous.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:23 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,038,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysky View Post
What do you think?
How old is too old too shop in the juniors department at department stores (i.e. Macy's) or a juniors type stores (i.e. Forever 21, Charlotte Russe, Aeropostale)
Or do you think there no cut off age as long as it fits/looks good?

I'm in my mid 20s and I sometimes think juniors type clothes are too "teenager" looking, but feel misses are too old looking for me.
Also, I worked in the juniors department at Macy's in college and saw women in their 40s trying on and buying things, but never really any older than that.
I'm 26 and am definitely in the same boat.

To me, junior's clothing fits longer and leaner, which fits my long torso better. BUT, every time I shop in the junior's section, I have to pick past tons of clothing that looks too young.

When I head into misses', I always see women who are older than my mother. The jeans have a "mom" cut, the tops are too wide and too short, and the styles are always older.

Overall, I usually buy my basics in junior's. I always buy my camis, V-necks, scoopnecks, leggings and jeans (I size up with skinny jeans so that they aren't painted on) there. I sometimes find pretty tops and dresses in junior's.

Sometimes I buy my dressy tops in misses'. The "wear to work" sections are often pretty nice for dressy tops.

I often buy coats from misses' as well.

I do like shopping at stores like Maurice's -- I feel like they are a little more "in-between" as far as styles go.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:08 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,183,956 times
Some of the styles in the Junior section have a classic look and are not faddish, so ladies of every age can shop in Juniors and find something nice, even when they are over 100. No one ever really gets tired of shopping, do they? I saw a couple of over 70 ladies shopping at Forever 21 and they had their arms loaded up with clothes. They seemed to be having a great time, even giggling - shopping reinvigorates them.

Old 03-02-2015, 01:44 PM

951 posts, read 1,144,747 times
Well, I'm very petite, and I still buy size 12-14 leggings and pajama pants in the girls' section at Target (to wear strictly at home). They are usually shorter in length and costs less money than the women's section. I'm almost 40 and still shop in the juniors section sometimes. I saw a skirt I really liked in the window of a store targeted for women 40 and over, and the sales people looked at me weird when I walked in. I kind of felt I was too young to be in there, but in the juniors, I still blend in.

Also, with fashion, I like to mix and dress to impress myself. Whether it's layers, luxury with affordable fabrics, or vintage with modern. I don't need someone to tell me I'm too young/old/rich/poor to shop anywhere I can.

Last edited by AhRainess; 03-02-2015 at 02:00 PM..

Old 03-03-2015, 12:47 AM

36,753 posts, read 14,889,306 times
...when they feel silly fighting teens for that awesome top.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:38 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,266,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
So true. So sick of the "REAL women have curves" BS. That's just propaganda to make fat women feel accepted. I have nothing against fat people but it really unhealthy so I don't know why society feels the need to encourage people to accept it. They should be losing it- not accepting that it's ok. It's not ok to be unhealthy.
Suppose you'd like to see them shamed, instead? Or how about renaming plus sized clothing "Blimpwear" since you're so offended by the title "women's" Would that go far enough toward refusal to accept larger women as okay?

Whats' wrong with Juniors, Misses, and Women's as labels? Misses implies you're female, doesn't it?

Oh, and for the wife of the poster Pythonis....
Not all women who wear plus sizes look like fat slobs, either. You can wear a plus size without being fat. *sigh*

As for when to stop wearing junior clothing, it's up to the individual. There is no set age.

People can wear whatever they want as far as I'm concerned.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:14 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,679,337 times
When a woman starts looking silly !

Old 03-03-2015, 09:26 AM

14,287 posts, read 14,851,309 times
I chatted with two women at dinner the other night. They were both 34 and been friends since high school. Both in the same worker bee economic group. One was simply but classy dressed. Simple black sweater, tan slacks and looked good. The other dressed like a teenager and looked a bit tacky.

One I would be proud to be seen with. The other one I would keep hidden.......LOL

Last edited by johngolf; 03-03-2015 at 09:39 AM..

Old 03-03-2015, 10:34 AM

628 posts, read 2,049,482 times
I think everyone just needs to be aware of their body type and the particular garment in mind.
As a rule I think people shouldn't be doing the MAJORITY of their shopping there at any time after college. That doesn't mean they can't look there or find some things that work and I even do sometimes (am past 30) but it's knowing what is appropriate and not.

For instance super low rise jeans not cute.

A plain off white sweater in a cute cut--what not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty