Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: At what age should women stop shopping in juniors?
20s 63 24.51%
30s 49 19.07%
40s 12 4.67%
50s or older 10 3.89%
Never! 123 47.86%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 05:14 AM

3,383 posts, read 6,646,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlbuffalo1 View Post
there's a difference between mom jeans and regular midrise (still below belly button jeans)

too low rise (look at how tiny the fly is):
http://s7.sears.com/is/image/Sears/0...0&op_sharpen=1
This 2nd pair, would fit me at YOUR "acceptable" lvl, lol.

Not everyone is built the same. Misses usually are WAY too long in the crotch area and the zipper usually ends right at the base of my bra.

I seriously only have 1 3/4" between the top of my hip bones and the bottom of my ribcage. Not a lot of room there.

I own a TON of "low rise" jeans and they all fit me right below the belly button at a normal level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 05:51 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,099,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERCHIC View Post
why should you stop if you can find items that are stylish and fit your body type. I am 47 and find a lot of items in jrs that look appropriate and stylish on me.

BTW 40 is the new 20 and older women do not look or dress like ole grannies anymore.
I agree with the first part of your post, but the bolded...why do people say this? 20 is 20 and 40 is 40.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:26 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,207,731 times
I voted never and I am in my 50s.

True, I won't wear a lot of "junior-type" clothes because they look too trendy or teenager-ish or revealing for me. But I've bought some cute/casual tops, capris and pants at these stores.

Also I am fairly petite and a lot of "womens" sizes don't fit me that well.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:19 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,867,389 times
When/if they can't fit into them anymore obviously. Otherwise who cares?

Old 08-23-2011, 08:58 PM

378 posts, read 706,878 times
I'm 38 but you would never tell from looking at me. Anyway my vote is for Never.

I still get pieces from Charlotte Russe, Forever 21, H&M, and sometimes Juniors departments in bigger stores. What I have stopped doing is buying things for my professional job from those stores (except H&M, some of there items are very office appropriate). I love their shirts, and I still like to dress cute but still appropriate for my age. I don't grab the short dresses, booty shorts, or see through shirts, but I'm all for screen tees and going out shirts. I'm a jeans and top kind of woman, and the tops at all these stores go well with my jeans.

Charlotte Russe is probably the only store that I've shopped at from teenage until now and still can find clothes that look decent.

If a style looks great and is appropriate for your body type, then by all means. Go for it

Old 08-23-2011, 09:17 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,976,042 times
After giving it some more thought, I'd have to say -- the same age that men stop shopping in the athletic department

Old 08-24-2011, 05:00 PM

15,649 posts, read 26,359,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
This 2nd pair, would fit me at YOUR "acceptable" lvl, lol.

Not everyone is built the same. Misses usually are WAY too long in the crotch area and the zipper usually ends right at the base of my bra.

I seriously only have 1 3/4" between the top of my hip bones and the bottom of my ribcage. Not a lot of room there.

I own a TON of "low rise" jeans and they all fit me right below the belly button at a normal level.
I have the same problem and wearing petites fixed it -- BUT if you are tall, you'd need to look for pants you can rehem. Being 5'5", I can just get away with it, but if the pants shrink up, it's flood pant city.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:15 PM

123 posts, read 257,321 times
when she feels is the "time"

Old 08-25-2011, 09:07 PM

2,945 posts, read 5,011,446 times
It's not a matter of the junior section and age as it is picking clothes that are age appropriate.

A 40+ woman doesn't need to be picking the tight, slinky numbers a 21 year old would wear to a club.

Like how Mariah Carey dressed pre-twins.

My 50 year old mother has has a weight reversal and is much skinner than I am. When I get something new like jeans I keep everything and she goes through my stuff and sees what she can fit. Then again, at 21 I didn't dress like the trashy, slutty types.

In jeans, I have a butt so super low rise shows ass crack (sane women should know this but they don't seem too). My mother shares that with me so if I've gained weight and can probably fit my smaller sized jeans and they look nice on her and you don't know they were junior section Levi's.

I was dumb a bought a lot of tunic type blouses but I have hips and having hips and wearing those tops makes me look pregnant because they don't fall right. At my age, considering WAY too many young girls are pregnant I don't want to look like them.

I call them maternity tops but that is the fashion right now. I gave them all to my mom and with her body shape she doesn't look pregnant because I have more hips than her. They look cute on her and give her a fun vibe while she looks age appropriate. 90% of people say my mom could easily pass for 38 but she's not interested in dressing trashy to look young.

Women have to be smart. A cleavage baring, cut out back so it looks like you can't wear a bra? No mother should be in that blouse and if you are young and can work it you should only wear that in a club. Just out in public looks trashy, IMO and I'm a size under 8, under 25 youth who hates seeing my peers dress like that.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:30 PM

3,383 posts, read 6,646,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I have the same problem and wearing petites fixed it -- BUT if you are tall, you'd need to look for pants you can rehem. Being 5'5", I can just get away with it, but if the pants shrink up, it's flood pant city.
Nope, not tall, only 5'3&3/4", longer legs though, but super short torso. Finding bras where the band and cups fit, but the straps aren't too long; and finding the right size pants are my worst shopping pains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty