Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 07:13 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,424,138 times

Advertisements

Where do you women like to shop for clothes? I love The Limited, Ann Taylor, Express, The Buckle, Aero for jeans, ect. I am looking to revamp my wardrobe and need some store ideas. Looking for places where I can get catalogs sent to my home so I can plan outfits. Can you recommend some places you have ordered from out of a catalog and also tell me if their sizes seem to run big or small? For instance, some sweaters at The Limited I need a medium, others a large because of my chest but then shoulders a little big. I wear 7/8S, and sometimes 9/10S at Aero, but a 10 at The Limited in pants.

Thanks for any suggestions/recommendations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 12:09 AM

326 posts, read 837,244 times
Honestly my favorite places to shop for clothing are thrift stores!! I love older "unique" and diffrnet looking clothes!

I LOVE victoria secret though!! Thats my weakness... They have great return policies so even if I buy something and it turns out to look hideous on my they gladly take it back and refund you.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:44 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Spiegel has a huge catalog. I like their stuff.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:26 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,395,137 times
Have you tried or looked at White House/ Black Market? I don't have any experience with them personally, but I know women who have been happy with their purchases from there. (I believe they also have B&M stores as well.)

Anthropolgie has pretty pieces, but a bit too bohemian for body shape. Unfortunately their pieces are inconsistent in sizing as they're manufactured by different companies.

I get A LOT of catalogs, but most of them are tossed into recycling immediately. I primarily just search and buy online.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:31 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
This is probably outing me as a fashion philistine, but I order from Eddie Bauer fairly regularly. I like their jeans, and their sizing runs pretty true.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:31 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
The size chart is your friend. So is the tape measure. I rarely have to take back clothes that I buy online.

Measure yourself...waist, low waist, hip, bust, sleeve length, inseam, everything. Re-take measurements every couple of months. And consult each site's size chart before every purchase. They do change sometimes.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:44 PM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
It depends upon your age and body type. Judging by your small size I assume you have no trouble finding things that fit. I'm assuming you are young, the opposite of me.
But these catalogs I like are probably good for you too. Eddie Bauer, J Jill, Victoria Secret (when I was younger and thinner, I found their stuff fit good and was well made), BodenUSA, I used to buy things from Boston Proper, and some are a little different.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:41 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,424,138 times
Not sure what you consider young.. I am 32 I weigh coughcough136lbs coughcough, trying to get down to 115- Most of the weight is in my boobs, hips and butt and some in my thighs, doesn't help that I am only 4' 10.5" with an inseam of 27" I have a VERY hard time finding things that fit me and are age appropriate.

Never have heard of Boston Proper and for some reason only think VS sells bras and underwear. I checked out J Jill and loved that they have a petite section, but wasn't feeling their clothes. LOVE Boden, just wish their stuff wasn't so expensive Totally forgot about Eddie Bauer- thanks

Old 10-13-2010, 06:04 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
This is probably outing me as a fashion philistine, but I order from Eddie Bauer fairly regularly.
Me, too ... Eddie Bauer, Lands End and LL Bean are my wardrobe mainstays.

Garanimals for adults! LOL

Old 10-13-2010, 11:00 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,446,762 times
Victoria's Secret is good for trendy clothing that will last a season, but the sizing is a little big. As TheImportersWife said, Anthropologie has nice clothes but since their clothing is from all different brands there is no continuity in sizing. I am petite and L.L. Bean sizes are wayyy too big. (If you're normally a M and order a S shirt from L.L. Bean, the length will shorten but the width will still be too big.) J. Crew puts out nice catalogs; their shirts/jackets/dresses are true to size but their pants never seem to be fitted properly in the derriere when I've tried them on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty