Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2008, 07:42 PM

602 posts, read 1,964,049 times

Advertisements

I've been a compulsive nailbiter since, well, birth. Nothing I've ever tried to stop has been successful for more than a few weeks; under extreme stress (as in approaching major surgery) I've even bitten off ACRYLIC nails. My nails are short, ragged, almost nonexistent, and embarrassing.

Over the years I've tried nail salons for the fakes, which I've heard were actually done with unsafe chemicals, and which were expensive ($50-60 to get started, $30 per week or ten days). I just had better stuff to do with my money and time, to be honest.

Lately I've tried cutting costs by using some drugstore brands of glue-on nails, but the adhesive has done something hideous to my fingers: The skin has blistered, split, bled, peeled off. UCK. No more of that, thanks.

Does anyone have suggestions for vitamins, brush-on treatments, anything that would help? I'm just getting tired of being ashamed of my own hands. My feet, weirdly enough, look nice in sandals, but my hands just suck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 10:35 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,735,203 times
Several years ago I began takin biotin (a B vitamin thing) which is often used to treat hair loss. After 6 or 8 months of it, an extended time frame, my nails became just about bulletproof. They grew strong and glossy till I could hardly tame them with nail clippers. Never chipped or peeled or broke. (my thinner aging hair didn't seem to benefit as luxuriously)

Try biotin. Easy to get in vitamin stores, at least 3,000 mgs per day. No detrimental side effects I've ever read.

Maybe if your nails were stronger and healthier you wouldn't chew on them as much?

Old 06-24-2008, 11:47 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,013,930 times
Flourchild, I used to know a woman just like you. Fingers always in her mouth. Nails perpetually nibbled to the nubs. Chewed off an entire set of acrylics in just a few days. I lost contact with her (maybe *you* are her!) so I can't say what, if anything, ever helped her.

Have you tried chewing gum? Perhaps if something else was in your mouth, you might be able to resist the nails.

As for me, although I never ever bit them, my nails were always sort of brittle and would break if I looked at them funny. Then I had my son, and ever since, the nails have grown long and super strong. I can't remember the last time I broke one. Now I'm not recommending pregnancy as a nail-strengthener, but I did find it to be an interesting little side effect .

Good luck to you -- I hope you can find a solution.

Old 06-25-2008, 12:10 AM

172 posts, read 769,532 times
I am going to second Biotin. It should work well for you. You can pick it up at any drugstore. It also helps with hair growth and healthy skin. I've been using it for a long time and my nails are strong and look wonderful.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:02 AM

602 posts, read 1,964,049 times
Hey, thanks, y'all! I will try the biotin; can't hurt, may help, right? Nelly--my stick-straight hair got thicker, and somehow became naturally wavy, when I had my kids. Weird. It didn't seem to affect my nails, just my hair.

Old 06-25-2008, 08:04 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,908,538 times
Stick a clove of garlic in each of your fingernails (assuming they get long enough to do that). They not only harden your nails, they taste terrible biting on it. Until then, rub garlic on them. They don't smell the best, but they work!

Old 06-27-2008, 04:52 PM

2 posts, read 10,645 times
I agree about the Biotin. I take that every day and try to keep some clear polish on them. Seeing them shine makes me wanna keep them looking that way.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:42 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,522,967 times
When my oldest son was smaller he would chew his fingernails on occasion. Our pediatrician did two things; he showed us blown up pictures of the germs that were under a typical fingernail and also told me to dunk my sons fingertips in tabasco sauce so that when he put fingertips in mouth there would be a negative experience. I never could bring myself to the tabasco but the pictures even registered with my son, then a child.

I agree with the Biotin and also consider bandaids placed on nails during those times. For each day that you don't bite a fingernail give yourself a star and after 21 stars give yourself a manicure or work out some other reward system. Good Luck!

Old 06-29-2008, 05:19 PM

8,410 posts, read 39,279,301 times
I am also echo-ing the prasie of biotin. You should also be having protien.
But all that wont matter if you still bite them. Twirl your hair. Its hotter!

Something else to do instead of chewing:
Kombolói - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty