Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2023, 06:18 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,024,713 times

Advertisements

Depends on the work for Men. Afterall, just ask just about anyone involved with the sea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2023, 06:27 AM

733 posts, read 471,537 times
I wear pull over sweaters everyday in the house since we keep our thermostat at 66 degrees; they keep me warm and comfy.

Old 01-31-2023, 06:32 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,073,600 times
The only type of sweater I DON'T wear is the long, flyaway/open style without buttons. I don't see the point of wearing a sweater without some way to close it. Nor like anything too long as it adds extra bulk under a coat below the waist. Whoever invented flyaway sweaters doesn't live in the frigid Northeast. We're having wind chills near -13 degrees this coming weekend.

Old 01-31-2023, 03:39 PM

8,091 posts, read 7,461,104 times
I'm a 60-something male, and I wear 100% cotton or other natural fiber sweaters, long-sleeved with a crew or V-neck, and I have one nice Barbour sweater that's a quarter-zip.

Sometimes I wear them to work in place of a shirt & tie. Not sure why anyone would think it's not "permissible" in this day and age.

Old 01-31-2023, 04:46 PM

12,787 posts, read 15,014,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Two somewhat off-topic points I'll address in the spoiler.
Spoiler
1) Sweaters for men at work, when permissible, tend to be somewhat questionable. In general, women can safely wear many more items than men can.
2) SoCal weather often cools off a lot at night, but that doesn't make sweaters the only solution and I think adding/removing clothes during the day is a minor nuisance.

I don't think I have a cardigan. I, probably along with most males, don't like them. I might have a mock neck or turtleneck, but I don't want to wear one. I might also have a polo sweater somewhere. I mostly wear v-necks and crewnecks, including a cable knit and a waffle knit. In addition, I have at least one full-zip sweater and a half-zip version. Most of my sweaters are cotton, a few are wool, one is ramie (good luck finding that, shoppers), and I think one has some silk fabric. I had a cashmere sweater, but a cleaner lost it

OK, you're a male. So nothing I said earlier will interest you.

Old 01-31-2023, 05:27 PM

1,063 posts, read 912,831 times
Have?
maybe four.
Wear?
none more
than once
a winter.
donating
them next
month.
male, so
i do not
count.

Old 02-01-2023, 09:51 AM

230 posts, read 166,003 times
As a male I guess I don't count.

I just donated my last couple of sweaters. Until a few years ago I would wear them in the winter both at work and around the house. Mostly somewhat thick cotton. I loved thick wool sweaters but they tend to make me sneeze. More recently I've been wearing sweatshirts instead so the sweaters had to go.

Old 02-01-2023, 10:11 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,024,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Physics Guy View Post
As a male I guess I don't count.

I just donated my last couple of sweaters. Until a few years ago I would wear them in the winter both at work and around the house. Mostly somewhat thick cotton. I loved thick wool sweaters but they tend to make me sneeze. More recently I've been wearing sweatshirts instead so the sweaters had to go.
Power out this morning in the Texas hill country. House temp probably dropped to 64 or so. In undies, sweat pants, leg warmers, socks, boots, tee, sweatshirt, wooly pully ...... and then field jacket and hat for outside.

Layering yes.......but fun layering.

Old 02-01-2023, 10:14 AM

102,234 posts, read 108,040,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
This is an odd question for me, because I wear a sweater almost every day in the winter, especially to work. Cardigans, cowl necks, crew necks, v-necks. I've got them all.
Right. And in winter, wool turtlenecks underneath another layer (or just on their own). They're good under a blazer, for people who still dress in that type of office attire.

Try to tell President Carter that sweaters aren't work attire, lol!

For anyone who's interested, I've found a couple of sources for affordably-priced wool sweaters. By "affordably-priced" I mean, much cheaper than most sweaters in this class available in the US. Since both businesses use luxury fibers, they're not going to be bargain-basement cheap, but for the quality, these prices are surprisingly good.

One is a Brit company: woolovers.com They have quite a few cashmere items, and cashmere-lambswool blends, but also: all lambswool. Most items are well under $100. Their clearance prices are even better. No synthetic blends.

The other company is "Novica" based in Peru, and carries alpaca sweaters, along with a wide variety of other fashion and folk art. They work directly with craft producers, so--no middlemen involved, and they access a global clientele directly, too, so again--eliminating that layer of middlemen. Their alpaca sweaters are lighter weight than the high-end, overpriced designer alpaca sweaters you see in the US market, but still substantial and warm. They have some very nice designs. Not as cheap as the Brit sweaters, but you get more sweater for your money. They have quite a few that are tunic length. The Brit sweaters generally are very lightweight. Novica.com They often have a $20-off promotion, or other discounts.

Both companies deliver promptly, no endless waiting.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 02-01-2023 at 10:34 AM..

Old 02-01-2023, 10:29 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,716,602 times
Fleece pullovers and jackets have taken a big chunk out of sweater popularity in the last 30 years. Machine washable, quick-drying, nonshrinking, lightweight, and available in thin to thick lofts: all make it an attractive alternative to knit sweaters.

That said, natural fibers such as cotton and wool have some advantages, too. They don’t get as stinky when worn during sweat-generating activities. If high quality fiber, they last a long time. By virtue of being knit, they can be made in a wide variety of textures and weave tightness.

I only have one true sweater left (fleece “sweaters” are not sweaters, IMO), and it is a simple, fairly light wool crewneck with integral ribknit cuffs and hem—another nice feature you don’t get with fleece garments. I tried shopping online for another such sweater and literally could not find even ONE. Closest things were (1) classic heavy oiled fisherman-style sweaters, made only in men’s sizes, and (2) uberexpensive, wait-for-months Shetland sweaters.

Turned out that the dearth of high quality classic wool sweaters was not in my imagination. Scotland enacted protectionist laws defining what could be labeled Shetland sweaters, and it seems that manufacturers in other countries just had to live with that. Merino wool, which grew hugely in popularity since the late 1970s (I still own some bike jerseys made by Protogs), is ubiquitous in socks and hats and long undies, but not in sweaters.

And lambswool sweaters, of which I used to own one, have all but vanished except in the highest-priced “WASP fashion” brands—none of them intended for use in x-c skiing, cycling, hiking, which is when I wore mine.

I’m taking good care of all my woollies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty