Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 01:34 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,589,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Just be sure to try on gowns before booking a venue because your gown may not fit the landscape.

Are you able to see mine on my profile? It was very dressy but it still worked for Cypress Gardens because they had gals walking around with big, poofy gowns. When I say poofy, I mean like Gypsy wedding gowns

Edit, it's not a full length pic of my gown, you can't see the beading detail

I do see it on your profile....it’s very pretty!

My problem is that I’m kinda torn between two completely different styles.......but the mermaid skirt, form fitting silhouette & train style is what I 1st pictured. I can always do that for the ceremony & pictures....& change for the reception.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2019, 01:54 PM

23,876 posts, read 33,595,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
I do see it on your profile....it’s very pretty!

My problem is that I’m kinda torn between two completely different styles.......but the mermaid skirt, form fitting silhouette & train style is what I 1st pictured. I can always do that for the ceremony & pictures....& change for the reception.....
My style is the fit and flare, I love the dress you mentioned. The 2 dresses in your 1st post do nothing for me compared to that other one.

Old 10-30-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
My style is the fit and flare, I love the dress you mentioned. The 2 dresses in your 1st post do nothing for me compared to that other one.

I love the Imelda Lace Mermaid by Pronovius too..but I have to see how that style looks when I move around or from different angles tho.....the Nordstrom ad she is very posed..

They recommend I save pictures on my phone of what I like......& not to worry about how different the styles are I’m liking....from vintage & lace to more modern & chic....

Old 10-30-2019, 02:32 PM

23,876 posts, read 33,595,201 times
Quote:
I love the Imelda Lace Mermaid by Pronovius too..but I have to see how that style looks when I move around or from different angles tho.....the Nordstrom ad she is very posed..

They recommend I save pictures on my phone of what I like......& not to worry about how different the styles are I’m liking....from vintage & lace to more modern & chic....
You'll figure out what works once you try on. You'll know when its the right one.

Have you showed your fiance any of them? What does he like? He may have a vision of how he thinks you'll look

Old 10-30-2019, 03:40 PM

88,634 posts, read 84,895,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Boyfriend and I are planning to get married, probably next year. Trying to kick around some logistics.

I have fastened onto the notion of designing and hand-sewing my own dress.

And I'm not really a fan of stark white, and since it's a second wedding, even less cause to concern myself with that, despite being goth-influenced, I don't really want a darker colored dress, like not the entire dress anyhow. I'm thinking a nice creamy off-white, but I really like this effect a LOT:

https://www.popsugar.com/love/Colorf...dding-43850591

I once found some really cool old, hand made lace at an antique mall and incorporated it into an elaborate Steampunk skirt I created (without cutting it, it was too beautiful to cut!) So I might go wandering the antique shops looking for stuff like that to work into it.
LOVE that look. Wow.

I was married thirty years ago this past October, now divorced. My dress had long sleeves, which you don't see much anymore, a sweetheart-shaped neckline, small white beading throughout the fitted bodice and a plain skirt with some beading around the hem area. Because of my height, I didn't want anything too "fluffy". It was ivory rather than bright white. I tried on both colors, and the ivory looked much better on me.

I did wear the silly headdress veil style of the time, which cracks me up now if I see a picture of myself. Even though I originally didn't want a "real" wedding gown, when the wedding got to be larger than we'd originally planned (my parents chucked their plans for a 40th anniversary party for themselves and instead invited everyone to my wedding) I went traditional. It was fun to be dressed up for a day. I'd never gotten to wear a fancy gown before except for hideous and unflattering bridesmaid dresses.

Later one of my bridesmaids would say, "You made such a beautiful bride. I could hardly believe it was you." LOL.

Old 10-30-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
You'll figure out what works once you try on. You'll know when its the right one.

Have you showed your fiance any of them? What does he like? He may have a vision of how he thinks you'll look

A couple friends gave me the “it’s bad luck” stuff........but it doesn’t hurt to get an idea of what he likes IMO....thank you.

Old 10-30-2019, 03:46 PM

88,634 posts, read 84,895,898 times
Quote:
Ita it has to all come together....so I’m just at the beginning now getting ideas.....I got engaged the 2nd week of October. We don’t have a date or venue yet....but I doubt very much it will be in a church...

The Willowby looks more wedding to me too...it is specifically a wedding dress & I’m not over 45....I’m 31. I saw it....(looking for a different style)....& I really liked it. I have time & lots of dresses to look at tho. I have to see how they look on me......
Congratulations! Best wishes on finding your perfect dress.

Old 10-30-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Congratulations! Best wishes on finding your perfect dress.

Thank you!!

Old 10-30-2019, 04:11 PM

20,406 posts, read 14,689,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
I do rather like that dip dye- especially if you are goth-inspired as you describe. Do you have colors (or plan to put) in your hair? If yes, what if you dip dyed (i.e. ombre) your hair like the dress?

Congrats!
I love how the photos showed that they coordinated the colors in the dress, with colors in her hair, and in the other dresses and suits and in the table decor and especially in the floral arrangements. So pretty! I'm not sure what I'd do with my hair yet. My dream? Anyone remember Sarah from the movie Labyrinth, in the ballroom scene, she had big hair partially up, but flowing in waves and curls down her back, with some kind of thin silvery accents in it? Here, this: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/76/bb...e0e8831e02.jpg

That is my dream hair. I'd kill to find someone who can make my hair do precisely that. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if it's quite thick enough now, though it used to be when I was younger. *sigh*

TashaPosh, I am excited to see what you decide on! I, too, am a big fan of the "mermaid" style of dress, the sort that is form fitting to maybe around the knee and then flares somewhat. I think it's very sexy, but also very classy. Elegant.

Old 10-30-2019, 05:25 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,566,868 times
Quote:
Do you like a billowy & “romantic” dress like the Willowby Lanie Floral Appliqué & Tulle A-line......or a contemporary & chic look like the slip stretch crepe & spaghetti straps of the Primrose by Theia?
My own wedding dress was both classic and romantic, I think. My mother made it from a Vogue pattern that I'd admired for years. I just knew that gown was *my* dress for when I married.

It was made of ivory satin and ivory and silver threaded lace. A-line in design with draped folds from the waist. The bodice was strapless with three-quarter lace sleeves; the lace was also used on the hem and in a triangular inset that went from waist to hem. It had both a zipper and covered buttons that were buttoned by mother using the same antique button hook that was used to button several other brides besides myself including my mother and my sister.

What made the dress even more special were details such as some of the beads used on the lace came from my mother's wedding dress, the full cotton batiste lining that had a double row of pin tucks along the hem, the matching beaded slippers that I wore in the later hours of the reception, the matching purse, and that the crinoline that was worn under the dress was the same one worn by my mother and sister. My mother also made and embroidered my wedding veil with detachable blusher. (My young niece ended up claiming that removed blusher at the reception to play with, lol.)

Because it was a truly custom dress (my mother has some serious tailoring skills and she made a mock-up version of the dress in muslin before making the final gown to ensure proper fit) it fit in a way that no altered dress ever does.

I'm now divorced, but I love that dress enough to wear it again should I ever be crazy enough to marry again--I'd just remove the sleeves.

You will know *your* dress as soon as you see it and/or put it on or the first time.

Last edited by Formerly Known As Twenty; 10-30-2019 at 05:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty