Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 05:15 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,586,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Got married in a street length dress in ivory silk. The cuffs were gorgeous, covered buttons, and opposite of the bridal style of pointed down the hand — the points were up the sleeve.

However. I love clothing construction, and nowhere outside of couture can you fiddle with things more than bridal.

What’s your venue? If you’re getting married at St Peters and Paul Cathedral in North Beach — I’d do the Theia dress, but with a lace overlay — too much skin for a cathedral. I’m old fashioned that way. Plus — you could take it off for the reception and people will think you’ve gone the second dress route, which is popular now.

If you’re in a different place, what style are you planning for the wedding/reception? It all needs to work together.

If those were the two dresses? The Willowby dress looks more wedding to me. UNless you’re older. A 45 year old — I don’t think that’s the dress. Too young.

I do like the structure of a strapless gown. The boning makes the dress. But, like everyone else — I am SO tired of strapless. But — I would also go into a shop and say I have X amount of dollars to spend on a dress WITH ALTERATIONS, so I could take a plainer dress and make it my own.

Ita it has to all come together....so I’m just at the beginning now getting ideas.....I got engaged the 2nd week of October. We don’t have a date or venue yet....but I doubt very much it will be in a church...

The Willowby looks more wedding to me too...it is specifically a wedding dress & I’m not over 45....I’m 31. I saw it....(looking for a different style)....& I really liked it. I have time & lots of dresses to look at tho. I have to see how they look on me......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2019, 05:21 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,390,475 times
I remember in the 80s and 90s when many wedding gowns had a big bow on the back. I hated those. When I got married, my friend tried to insist that I wear her old wedding gown - which had a big bow on the back. I had to tell her no and I think it hurt her feelings. I had always wanted to pick out my own gown, not wear someone else's.

Old 10-29-2019, 05:30 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,586,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Boyfriend and I are planning to get married, probably next year. Trying to kick around some logistics.

I have fastened onto the notion of designing and hand-sewing my own dress.

And I'm not really a fan of stark white, and since it's a second wedding, even less cause to concern myself with that, despite being goth-influenced, I don't really want a darker colored dress, like not the entire dress anyhow. I'm thinking a nice creamy off-white, but I really like this effect a LOT:

https://www.popsugar.com/love/Colorf...dding-43850591

I once found some really cool old, hand made lace at an antique mall and incorporated it into an elaborate Steampunk skirt I created (without cutting it, it was too beautiful to cut!) So I might go wandering the antique shops looking for stuff like that to work into it.

Designing & sewing your own dress sounds amazing.........

Ita about stark white unless if it’s a *really contemporary chic* dress because then the color is the only thing “traditional” about it.....so it looks more bridal....

I like more of an off white or a dull white tho on most wedding dresses....but I don’t like ivory. My 2nd wedding too....

Old 10-29-2019, 05:52 PM

3,443 posts, read 2,420,258 times
This gown, but remove the lace and leave the sweetheart neckline, and instead of a seam at the waist, make it flow from the bodice down with no waist seam at all. It's made of ultra-long silk panels instead of a top and a bottom.

Buttons on arms and back the same. Same mini-puff on the shoulders, same color, same slightly scalloped train.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-194...oAAOSwpj1dsR2j

Old 10-29-2019, 06:44 PM

5,584 posts, read 6,514,131 times
My 9th grade graduation dress. It was pink lace. Got married at 19 by a Justice of the Peace at the county courthouse. I loved that dress!

Old 10-29-2019, 07:10 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,390,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
If those were the two dresses? The Willowby dress looks more wedding to me. UNless you’re older. A 45 year old — I don’t think that’s the dress. Too young. n.
I think a bride should be able to wear whatever she wants, regardless of her age.

Old 10-29-2019, 07:19 PM

15,641 posts, read 26,270,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Ita it has to all come together....so I’m just at the beginning now getting ideas.....I got engaged the 2nd week of October. We don’t have a date or venue yet....but I doubt very much it will be in a church...

The Willowby looks more wedding to me too...it is specifically a wedding dress & I’m not over 45....I’m 31. I saw it....(looking for a different style)....& I really liked it. I have time & lots of dresses to look at tho. I have to see how they look on me......
Sounds like a job for Pinterest!!

Seriously, SF has some great bridal mags specific to the area. Unless they’ve stopped making them. I’d hit a few non-chain bridal stores to see if they have any.

Old 10-29-2019, 08:29 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,079,443 times
I love the first one, but I sadly I don't think I could pull it off. I love a deep V, but I think it looks best on smaller chests like the model. Of course, anybody can wear what they like, but I don' think it would look right on ME. I also like the second one, feels sexy but classy. I honestly just love wedding gowns

I am a fan of Anna Campbell bridal. I fell in love a few years ago when I saw the 'Ashlyn' dress on Pinterest.
https://www.annacampbell.com.au/wanderlust

Old 10-29-2019, 08:44 PM

2,520 posts, read 2,075,895 times
Very cool ... Sonic_Spork.
Love it!

Old 10-30-2019, 12:36 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Mine was a flowing cream satin...I was so thrilled to find one that wasn't white. It had delicate beadwork on the bodice, and train, but the satin was the star of the show. It rippled like liquid. It was a more vintage styling. Kinda Old Hollywood.

If I could have changed one thing in retrospect, it would have been for it not to be strapless/sleeveless, but that was ubiquitous at the time. It is just a silhouette that isn't very "me."

Last edited by TabulaRasa; 10-30-2019 at 12:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty