Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 08:29 AM

1,074 posts, read 640,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Boyfriend and I are planning to get married, probably next year. Trying to kick around some logistics.

I have fastened onto the notion of designing and hand-sewing my own dress.

And I'm not really a fan of stark white, and since it's a second wedding, even less cause to concern myself with that, despite being goth-influenced, I don't really want a darker colored dress, like not the entire dress anyhow. I'm thinking a nice creamy off-white, but I really like this effect a LOT:

https://www.popsugar.com/love/Colorf...dding-43850591

I once found some really cool old, hand made lace at an antique mall and incorporated it into an elaborate Steampunk skirt I created (without cutting it, it was too beautiful to cut!) So I might go wandering the antique shops looking for stuff like that to work into it.
I do rather like that dip dye- especially if you are goth-inspired as you describe. Do you have colors (or plan to put) in your hair? If yes, what if you dip dyed (i.e. ombre) your hair like the dress?

Congrats!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2019, 08:32 AM

1,074 posts, read 640,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
This gown, but remove the lace and leave the sweetheart neckline, and instead of a seam at the waist, make it flow from the bodice down with no waist seam at all. It's made of ultra-long silk panels instead of a top and a bottom.

Buttons on arms and back the same. Same mini-puff on the shoulders, same color, same slightly scalloped train.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-194...oAAOSwpj1dsR2j
Reminds me of the dress Sandra Bullock wore in The Proposal

Old 10-30-2019, 10:45 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
I love both of these!

It's easier for me to depict what I do not like in a wedding dress:
- not a big fan of bustiers, and especially not the ones that are over-the-top looking like a bustier
- some sex appeal is ok, but the ones that are a straight up **** fest do not interest me. About as sexy as the ones you posted is perfect
- I don't like when the bodice only is beaded, then it just comes to a sudden and complete stop and the skirt is different
- the belt trend is on my nerves

I got married on the beach in Jamaica, so my dress was a non-wedding-y wedding dress. It was A-line, backless, tulle overlay which was beaded with clear beads in the shape of hibiscus. You'll dies when I tell you I paid $14 for it- not kidding.
There is a place here in Dallas called Special Occasion Dresses, which is already discounted. They also have an outlet, so even more discounted. Within the outlet, they have a backroom which is mostly slightly damaged items, which is where I found my dress.
It gets better!
I then went to the thrift store in the wealthy neighborhood and found Stuart Weitzman shoes hardly worn at all for $30- acrylic slip ons with rhinestone accent

Tasha, you getting married?
I'm with you on your dislikes. I hate the gown looking like 2 different dresses and am glad strapless is a thing of the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Do you like a billowy & “romantic” dress like the Willowby Lanie Floral Appliqué & Tulle A-line......or a contemporary & chic look like the slip stretch crepe & spaghetti straps of the Primrose by Theia?

I found my gown at the 1st store I went to. I brought in about 10 gowns, a few looked great on me but I really fell in love with my A line all beaded sample that was a little off color; was marked down to $800 from a few thousand 18 years ago. My shoes were white sneakers I jazzed up with beads and lace. I have a bad back. I have a pic of my wedding on my profile but I'm not sure who can see it.

We went to Cypress gardens in Florida which is now Lego Land. It was closed soon after we got married. Best day ever! I was like a princess there, the only one married that day.

Quote:
Ita it has to all come together....so I’m just at the beginning now getting ideas.....I got engaged the 2nd week of October. We don’t have a date or venue yet....but I doubt very much it will be in a church...

The Willowby looks more wedding to me too...it is specifically a wedding dress & I’m not over 45....I’m 31. I saw it....(looking for a different style)....& I really liked it. I have time & lots of dresses to look at tho. I have to see how they look on me......
You should watch say yes to the dress. They show a lot of different designs to get inspiration from. You can find most of those gowns locally. Also look at designer FB pages and web sites

You really have to try it on and have someone take pics of you in it because you want to see how it looks in photos. Some dresses really bomb in pictures. My hub came with me dress shopping the 2nd time to narrow them down. He loved the one I ended up with. I still have it. It's heavy as heck from all the beading but I don't remember it being heavy that day. I was also 18 years younger! lol

Congrats on your engagement.

Old 10-30-2019, 10:53 AM

4,212 posts, read 6,899,912 times
We ended up deciding to ditch the actual wedding plans this year and instead just get married at the courthouse and then head to SF for a week. My wife still wore the outfit she had planned on to
the courthouse that day as well as on the plane and all night in SF - it was not a traditional wedding dress but a 2 piece off-white outfit that was handmade in Austin.

https://www.instagram.com/p/By6BvkXHf1W/

Old 10-30-2019, 11:24 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,570,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
You really have to try it on and have someone take pics of you in it because you want to see how it looks in photos. Some dresses really bomb in pictures. My hub came with me dress shopping the 2nd time to narrow them down. He loved the one I ended up with. I still have it. It's heavy as heck from all the beading but I don't remember it being heavy that day. I was also 18 years younger! lol

Congrats on your engagement.

I have heard the tip about taking pictures from all angles....to be sure it photographs well...thank you! I was wondering about having my fiancé tell me what he likes with all the traditional stuff about they aren’t supposed to see you in the dress until the wedding....but maybe to narrow it down like you did is a good idea IMO....

I’ve called a couple of local couture bridal shops that carry Pronovias & will hand design your gown too......but it gets super expensive & I want to see it on me 1st. I still like Willowby & that 1st style....but I also like the Pronovias Telesto backless with a long sleeve....& the Pronovias Imelda Lace Mermaid dress....& the Pronovias Bianca for $2100. I love the mermaid skirts & trains. I don’t know if the Willowby fits in with the style of wedding I’ve got in my mind...but I also think it’s super important to be comfortable!!

Old 10-30-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
I have heard the tip about taking pictures from all angles....to be sure it photographs well...thank you! I was wondering about having my fiancé tell me what he likes with all the traditional stuff about they aren’t supposed to see you in the dress until the wedding....but maybe to narrow it down like you did is a good idea IMO....

I’ve called a couple of local couture bridal shops that carry Pronovias & will hand design your gown too......but it gets super expensive & I want to see it on me 1st. I still like Willowby & that 1st style....but I also like the Pronovias Telesto backless with a long sleeve....& the Pronovias Imelda Lace Mermaid dress....& the Pronovias Bianca for $2100. I love the mermaid skirts & trains. I don’t know if the Willowby fits in with the style of wedding I’ve got in my mind...but I also think it’s super important to be comfortable!!
I like the style of the Imelda Lace Mermaid; it's like a fit and flare. That was my 2nd wedding, a fit and flare, 90's style lol

Old 10-30-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
I like the style of the Imelda Lace Mermaid; it's like a fit and flare. That was my 2nd wedding, a fit and flare, 90's style lol

It is a little vintage....I like that....but it feels contemporary, formal & chic too....!!

Old 10-30-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
It is a little vintage....I like that....but it feels contemporary, formal & chic too....!!
It's a very beautiful dress.

I actually wanted one back then and don't recall what wasn't right with it that I ended up with the one I did.

You can look at gowns all day and dream but once you try it on, that's the reality of what will really work on your body type, coloring, hair etc.

Just be true to yourself. If you want a fancy gown, go for it; even for city hall. My 90's gown was for city hall. I didn't care. You won't regret going with what you like. You'll regret dressing down or settling for something based on the venue. Our reception was a rescue squad building. When I married my hub 18 years ago we dressed up for ourselves because we didn't have anything like that before. No reception either. We went out to dinner. We have awesome pictures in our wedding clothes. He had a morning suit.

Old 10-30-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
It's a very beautiful dress.

I actually wanted one back then and don't recall what wasn't right with it that I ended up with the one I did.

You can look at gowns all day and dream but once you try it on, that's the reality of what will really work on your body type, coloring, hair etc.

Just be true to yourself. If you want a fancy gown, go for it; even for city hall. My 90's gown was for city hall. I didn't care. You won't regret going with what you like. You'll regret dressing down or settling for something based on the venue. Our reception was a rescue squad building. When I married my hub 18 years ago we dressed up for ourselves because we didn't have anything like that before. No reception either. We went out to dinner. We have awesome pictures in our wedding clothes. He had a morning suit.

Thank you Roselvr....ita! My fiancé’s brother & sister in law suggested a winery....& I know how beautiful it can be. Wineries are so popular for weddings here....destination weddings too! That Willowby dress...the 1st one...would fit in with that type of wedding perfectly. It’s almost a little farmhouse or boho....so maybe...

BUT...tbh...as nice as that could be...I’ve got something more contemporary...chic...& formal in my mind in Sf...with a touch of vintage......that’s where some of the other styles might be better fitting.

Old 10-30-2019, 12:22 PM

Just be sure to try on gowns before booking a venue because your gown may not fit the landscape.

Are you able to see mine on my profile? It was very dressy but it still worked for Cypress Gardens because they had gals walking around with big, poofy gowns. When I say poofy, I mean like Gypsy wedding gowns

Edit, it's not a full length pic of my gown, you can't see the beading detail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty