Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 11:45 AM

15,640 posts, read 10,398,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Yeah, this is how my first wedding was.

It felt like a bureaucratic errand, like a trip to the DMV. I didn't even have a ring, I wound up buying MYSELF a plain silver band that I spotted at one of those kitchy truckstop stores while we were on a roadtrip later in the year...not a honeymoon trip but just a family trip. We had no flowers, no dress, no rings, no honeymoon. We had a friend with us to be a witness and we found we needed 2, so we asked some random receptionist at the court who was happy to help. Then we went with our friend to eat at Ihop.

Nothing special or celebratory about it.
I bought a slim gold band on my lunch break the day before we wed for about $30. Our courthouse ceremony was a perfect choice for us as getting married was scary enough without the pressure of a formal wedding. This is our first and only marriage and we've been happily married more than 30 years.

To each his own! The marriage is what really counts....not a wedding.

We did have a big party for friends and family a few weeks later to celebrate. No pressure, just good BBQ, music, and fun.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 10-31-2019 at 11:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2019, 11:55 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,586,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
first wedding ;white cocktail dress , strappy sandals and a white floppy hat with a bouquet of white roses and a pink ribbon tied them together .
second wedding : red cocktail dress , strappy sandals and a big red sunhat with a bouquet of yellow roses with a white ribbon .
Got married both times at the courthouse could not fathom a huge money hungry wedding .

You can’t take money with you tho....& spending it on my friends & family to share our love in a special day of celebration seems like a good way to spend it IMO.

My 1st wedding was less formal & rushed because of a move......so I really want my dream wedding dress this time. I still lean toward chic & contemporary....with a little vintage....as my style. I really like the Willowby....but I keep thinking it’s more a farmhouse or boho style tho....for like a wedding at a winery....

Old 10-31-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post

TashaPosh, I am excited to see what you decide on! I, too, am a big fan of the "mermaid" style of dress, the sort that is form fitting to maybe around the knee and then flares somewhat. I think it's very sexy, but also very classy. Elegant.

Thank you....I think the same! I like a longer train on it too......

How long do you think it’s going to take you to sew your own dress?

Old 10-31-2019, 12:14 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,678,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Thank you....I think the same! I like a longer train on it too......

How long do you think it’s going to take you to sew your own dress?
Hm... That's a very good question and probably there are too many variables to give a sensible answer.

I'm thinking about design elements right now.

The last time I took on a big hand-sewing project, I worked on it most of my non working, non sleeping hours, and it took about a month and a half. So if things go more or less to plan, I'd say that would be reasonable, but knowing I have more time-eating commitments on my plate than I did back then...it'll be longer than that.

I'll let ya know, though!

One thing I have learned to do, with art projects, is to take a lot of photos of the work in progress. I'll probably share some of them on CD eventually.

One thing I want to find a way to do, is to use as a base fabric (there will be other fabrics involved) a dense velvet that is something like an off-white...nearly but not quite a gold color. Like a deep, shimmering cream. I really love textures, but satin isn't my favorite. I like velvet and silk and lace.

Old 10-31-2019, 01:30 PM

23,870 posts, read 33,581,353 times
Quote:
You can’t take money with you tho....& spending it on my friends & family to share our love in a special day of celebration seems like a good way to spend it IMO.

My 1st wedding was less formal & rushed because of a move......so I really want my dream wedding dress this time. I still lean toward chic & contemporary....with a little vintage....as my style. I really like the Willowby....but I keep thinking it’s more a farmhouse or boho style tho....for like a wedding at a winery....
Lanie Floral Appliqué & Tulle A-Line Wedding Dress

Primrose

Quote:
I have heard the tip about taking pictures from all angles....to be sure it photographs well...thank you! I was wondering about having my fiancé tell me what he likes with all the traditional stuff about they aren’t supposed to see you in the dress until the wedding....but maybe to narrow it down like you did is a good idea IMO....

I’ve called a couple of local couture bridal shops that carry Pronovias & will hand design your gown too......but it gets super expensive & I want to see it on me 1st. I still like Willowby & that 1st style....but I also like the Pronovias Telesto backless with a long sleeve....& the Pronovias Imelda Lace Mermaid dress....& the Pronovias Bianca for $2100. I love the mermaid skirts & trains. I don’t know if the Willowby fits in with the style of wedding I’ve got in my mind...but I also think it’s super important to be comfortable!!
Imelda Lace Mermaid Gown

Pronovias Bianca

Pronovias Telesto

Old 10-31-2019, 02:17 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,491,161 times
Quote:

diff'rent strokes and all.

I never desired a "dream wedding" and celebrating our love in front of a bunch of people.

I definitely didn't see myself as a princess bride.

I definitely didn't see myself paying lots of money either.

We paid $38 for a marriage license. I paid $20 bucks for the dress. Our first Wedding bands were each 110 dollars, purchased at some NYC jeweler.

After the ceremony at the clerk's office, we saw the second installment of 28 days later, and followed that up with a favorite cheap greasy spoon. The next day, we went to dinner with my family (he's from Texas, I'm from NYC) at a yummy place is Harlem.

Our reception in Texas cost less than $2000.

What made it special are the memories - we got married at city hall on 1 Centre Street, almost two years after 9/11. It was a beautiful summer day, the city was in the process of healing.

Our romance started in New York City, so it was fitting that we married there.

Our reception occurred in Texas six months later. where he's from, and what had become my new home.

It's been 16 great years. I haven't left Texas.

My mom felt as if we robbed her of the opportunity to witness the ceremony but what she failed to realize was that it was about us, and what we wanted.

Maybe for our 20th, we'll do something a bit more lavish. At least we put 20 years into it.

Old 10-31-2019, 02:19 PM

Thank you Rose.....^^

Old 10-31-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
diff'rent strokes and all.

I never desired a "dream wedding" and celebrating our love in front of a bunch of people.

I definitely didn't see myself as a princess bride.

I definitely didn't see myself paying lots of money either.

We paid $38 for a marriage license. I paid $20 bucks for the dress. Our first Wedding bands were each 110 dollars, purchased at some NYC jeweler.

After the ceremony at the clerk's office, we saw the second installment of 28 days later, and followed that up with a favorite cheap greasy spoon. The next day, we went to dinner with my family (he's from Texas, I'm from NYC) at a yummy place is Harlem.

Our reception in Texas cost less than $2000.

What made it special are the memories - we got married at city hall on 1 Centre Street, almost two years after 9/11. It was a beautiful summer day, the city was in the process of healing.

Our romance started in New York City, so it was fitting that we married there.

Our reception occurred in Texas six months later. where he's from, and what had become my new home.

It's been 16 great years. I haven't left Texas.

My mom felt as if we robbed her of the opportunity to witness the ceremony but what she failed to realize was that it was about us, and what we wanted.

Maybe for our 20th, we'll do something a bit more lavish. At least we put 20 years into it.

Everyone is different.......just like we are all different in our tastes in style of dresses........

I really want a wedding....& a dress.....that is going to represent a city style....contemporary....chic....& San Francisco for my groom ...(he is from the Bay Area)....& my new home....

Old 10-31-2019, 02:50 PM

20,398 posts, read 14,678,474 times
This thread got me looking at wedding couture for inspiration, via a Google image search.

And predictably, when I least expected it, the internet dished up some weird. How about this for the most awful, ridiculous wedding dress ever...

https://media.boingboing.net/wp-cont...57479954_b.jpg

Old 10-31-2019, 04:50 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,240,628 times
I wore a custom French lace fit and flare gown, from a shop in Beverly Hills. I had removable princess sleeves on it, so I could change it up. My husband and I eloped to Sonoma, but plan to have a religious ceremony and celebration sometime in the future...so I will wear it again. My dress definitely cost more than my elopement...but considering my husband wore Ted Baker and Ferragamos, his did, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty