Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 02:53 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,901,337 times

Advertisements

Where do you shop??? Does it seem like clothes are getting bigger? I mean seriously, maybe its because I am in the midwest but I can't find anything to fit me in a size 0! And I am 32, so I am not interested in shopping in the junior's section!

I tried White House Black Market- their size 0 was too big. I tried Limited/Express/Arden B....again all too big. I went into Macys and many of the lines only carry size 2 and up. I asked them why? They said it was just supply and demand...they sell the larger sizes so they stock the larger sizes.

Basically the only clothes I purchase are BEBE in a 0, but it gets old buying the same brand over and over. They do have some higher end items, its not just club clothing, I have well tailored pants and shorts from them but I want to branch out to another brand!

And although I am 5'3" I can not fit into a petite because my inseam is too long...

Maybe my options will grow when we move to Florida in a few months...I hope so but until then any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 04:21 PM

883 posts, read 3,718,896 times
Do any of the department stores near you carry any contemporary lines? Those tend to run smaller. Most department stores have a contemporary department. Actually, if you're not sure what qualifies as contemporary in department store lingo, check out the websites of major department stores; most should have a section called *contemporary*.

Old 03-28-2008, 04:44 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,373,774 times
[quote=faina00;3284546]
[And although I am 5'3" I can not fit into a petite because my inseam is too long... ] faina00, I have found the same problem also specially when buying jeans, I have tried the Daisy feauntes jeans in petite at khols they actually had a good inseem, will buy again. I dont get it why all manafactures think short woman do not have long legs some of us do.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:48 PM

1,007 posts, read 5,663,117 times
I'm 5'3" and can't wear petite jeans either.. they also seem to have a strange fit at the waist.. too short or something. Anyway, I agree with you.. the clothes have gotten bigger. I usually wear a size 2.. but some places I have to get a size "0". I sometimes get clothes from Victoria Secret - their pants are unpredictible because again I order a size 2 and they are sometime too big.. it is hit or miss. I find that most of the high end clothes fit better -European. So I shop at specialty clothes stores when I want a really good fit. Believe it or not.. I sometimes have good luck at Target. You'll have a lot to choose from in Florida.. that's where I used to live.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:17 AM

291 posts, read 1,075,070 times
Oh lord, I hear you! The topic of vanity sizing has been discussed here before, and it's been the bane of my existence for many years now. I weigh exactly the same as I did 15 years ago, yet somehow I went from wearing a size 6, to a ZERO! Ridiculous, especially considering I wear an 8-10 in vintage clothes! I loathe shopping for this very reason. I need professional clothes, and good luck trying to find those in a small size- even the size "2" is swimming on me. I have had pretty good luck with Boston Proper, and they do have some decent professional looking skirts and shirts. Also, any European designers will be better- they have fewer overweight people, and thus less of a need to cater to size 16 women who want to pretend they're a size 8. I know it stinks, but what can you do?

Old 03-29-2008, 01:50 PM

Thanks for the responses...I feel better knowing that I'm not alone
It gets so frustrating at times, for example, I needed a new bathing suit. I went to every store in town (luckily hubby and daughter are patient and like to shop) and nothing below a size 6. Nothing!!!! Of course, I found some high end suits online and luckily they fit in a XS but imagine if they didn't I HATE returning things. Which is why I have not tried from VS clothing catalog like Janecj, but maybe I'll try it as well as Boston Proper, they have some cute things.

And I actually asked the sales people at the Limited a year or two ago if the sizes had gotten larger. I used to wear a 2 there and now I am swimming in a 0. They said that yes indeed the sizing had gotten larger. Why?! What a good point Mojo Rilry, maybe they are catering to the women who want to feel like they are in a smaller size.

Hopefully the options will grow when we move to FL...its very frustrating...maybe they should make special stores that only cater to us....

Old 03-29-2008, 01:58 PM

Oh and one more thing.....yes all you who mention that buying European brands is an option are 100% correct.

I am from Eastern Europe and when I go back and shop I have no problems with finding clothing in my size.....again because women where I am from walk more and eat better and are not an average size of 14...in fact some of the clothing is too small for me in Europe...how refreshing!!

Old 03-29-2008, 02:15 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,990,921 times
We don't have alot of smaller size stores in Fredericksburg--Macy's, Belk and Penney's all carry nothing smaller than a 4--and those are REALLY rare!
I shop at Ann Taylor Loft--(we do have one of those), but even tho they have the sizes I need, the styles are many times too young! (I'm 53!) Not that I'm dressing dowdy, but frilly blouses and baggy-legged pants just aren't for me!
It's very difficult if you're a smaller size! I feel your pain!

Old 03-29-2008, 02:43 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,158,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo Riley View Post
Oh lord, I hear you! The topic of vanity sizing has been discussed here before, and it's been the bane of my existence for many years now. I weigh exactly the same as I did 15 years ago, yet somehow I went from wearing a size 6, to a ZERO! Ridiculous, especially considering I wear an 8-10 in vintage clothes! I loathe shopping for this very reason. I need professional clothes, and good luck trying to find those in a small size- even the size "2" is swimming on me. I have had pretty good luck with Boston Proper, and they do have some decent professional looking skirts and shirts. Also, any European designers will be better- they have fewer overweight people, and thus less of a need to cater to size 16 women who want to pretend they're a size 8. I know it stinks, but what can you do?
I am 49 and I couldn't figure out this size zero thing. There wasn't a size zero when I was in my twenties and thirties. I think that when I was a young adult, the smallest size I ever saw on the racks was size 4.

Try European brand clothing. Their sizes run smaller than American sizes. Americans are more overweight as a nation.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:27 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,988,812 times
Oh,I thought it was me that shrunk to a size zero! Those tricky devils for making bigger clothes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty