Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 06:32 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westindian View Post
Wonderful!!! You are being addressed too. No need to get so defensive then, right? Wow, you deserve a round of applause for being able to skate better than the skinny girls. Guess it had nothing to do with talent huh? All about weight.

I am done with this board. You are hooked on size and nothing else. The skinny people are all out to get you. As a moderator you should know better.
What are you talking about? I never even post on this forum, let alone said anything about skinny people being out to get me - LOL! And while I am a moderator for another forum here, we're still allowed to participate as members, and I didn't say anything that was against TOS. Believe me, if I wanted to get nasty, my post would have read much differently.

Btw, you completely missed my point in that skating comment... I was simply trying to say that one doesn't have to be thin to be in good shape, despite what some of you were saying/thinking. Furthermore, I've been both skinny and fat (now somewhere in the middle), and my sister is very thin, as I mentioned earlier - so I have absolutely nothing against thin people, or I'd be a self-hater and hater of my sister, who's the closest person in the world to me.

Last edited by gizmo980; 04-08-2008 at 11:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 06:54 PM

I'm not going to bother fully responding to your long post, which I didn't even notice until now... but for the record, I was really trying to be polite and helpful (even suggested a few things for the OP), and was mostly being funny - hence the smileys I inserted. But to say nobody was being rude is absolutely incorrect, though it wasn't even you who rubbed me the wrong way... would you like me to cut & paste all the insulting fat-related comments?

I just re-read my response to your original post (on the last page), and can't see how I was rude or condescending. Most of my comments were about the different clothing stores, and how we each need to find what works best for us... so you saying that Ann Taylor and Banana Republic get the sizing wrong annoyed me, since those are 2 of the ONLY places I can shop! Not to mention, your comment about catering to those who are "too proud for Lane Bryant" was a bit rude, since I really am too small for them & too big for Bebe. I was a very proud Lane Bryant shopper until losing 65 lbs. a few years ago, and actually miss being able to wear their stuff.

Sorry if I came across badly, but I was just releasing some of my frustration about this, since it really is difficult to find clothing for a size 14 (and apparently size 0s too). I was actually shocked while reading this thread, since I had a MUCH easier time shopping when I was thin, and usually it's the larger people complaining about this. So I'll reiterate my original point & then leave this alone - You can't please everyone, and that's why tailoring was invented! But I really didn't mean to sound condescending or obnoxious, and the majority of my comments weren't even directed at you.

Last edited by gizmo980; 04-08-2008 at 11:30 PM..

Old 04-09-2008, 01:20 AM

172 posts, read 769,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I'm not going to bother fully responding to your long post, which I didn't even notice until now... but for the record, I was really trying to be polite and helpful (even suggested a few things for the OP), and was mostly being funny - hence the smileys I inserted. But to say nobody was being rude is absolutely incorrect, though it wasn't even you who rubbed me the wrong way... would you like me to cut & paste all the insulting fat-related comments?

I just re-read my response to your original post (on the last page), and can't see how I was rude or condescending. Most of my comments were about the different clothing stores, and how we each need to find what works best for us... so you saying that Ann Taylor and Banana Republic get the sizing wrong annoyed me, since those are 2 of the ONLY places I can shop! Not to mention, your comment about catering to those who are "too proud for Lane Bryant" was a bit rude, since I really am too small for them & too big for Bebe. I was a very proud Lane Bryant shopper until losing 65 lbs. a few years ago, and actually miss being able to wear their stuff.

Sorry if I came across badly, but I was just releasing some of my frustration about this, since it really is difficult to find clothing for a size 14 (and apparently size 0s too). I was actually shocked while reading this thread, since I had a MUCH easier time shopping when I was thin, and usually it's the larger people complaining about this. So I'll reiterate my original point & then leave this alone - You can't please everyone, and that's why tailoring was invented! But I really didn't mean to sound condescending or obnoxious, and the majority of my comments weren't even directed at you.
That is fine, I can except this. I do see where you are coming from and maybe I too jumped the gun on this issue and did not handle myself in the correct manner. I have received a lot of crap from family and friends regarding my weight loss and read your post as a "skinny bashing post". I had trouble when I was larger and trouble being smaller and this is a sensitive issue for me.

Thanks

Old 04-09-2008, 04:00 AM

172 posts, read 769,410 times
Quote:
That is fine, I can except this. I do see where you are coming from and maybe I too jumped the gun on this issue and did not handle myself in the correct manner. I have received a lot of crap from family and friends regarding my weight loss and read your post as a "skinny bashing post". I had trouble when I was larger and trouble being smaller and this is a sensitive issue for me.

Thanks
Meant to say accept instead of except.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Meant to say accept instead of except.
LOL... no problem, and I too apologize for coming off harshly. It's a sensitive topic for sure!

Old 04-09-2008, 08:30 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,906,042 times
Quote:
I guess you can't please everyone... try being a size 14 who's too big for most "normal" stores yet too small for plus-size, with a HUGE chest (bigger than everyone here who's chimed in), small shoulders & waist, and long legs. That's me! If you think shopping for a size 0 is hard, you have no idea - and I know because my sister is super skinny, and has a million more options than myself. Not trying to be rude, but I find it hard to believe you can't find clothing when stores cater to the tiny... try shopping in the cheap stores or vintage, since they always seem to cut their clothing smaller.

P.S. I have shopped in Europe, and find their clothing to be cut more generously. So am I just crazy, or do we all have a different perception?

P.P.S. I walk (and exercise) plenty, thankyouverymuch, and eat very healthy - which is how I lost 65 lbs. just a few years ago. All bodies are different, as you can see by the responses here, and even at 125 lbs. I was still a size 12.
Thanks for your suggestions...but they don't really apply to me. I have no desire to shop in "cheap" stores, for I value quality, also I am 32 and not interested in wearing clothing made for teenagers.

European labels, such as Salvatore Ferragamo, Fendi, etc are cut much smaller than American clothing. I was born in E. Europe and just shopped there recently and for the most part that is the case.

Not sure what your PPS is about, don't think anyone asked if you ate healthy or exercised? You know, I do not get on the threads posted by larger women and barrage them, I wish larger women would not feel so threatened or insecure because this thread is not about them.

Again, if you have nothing constructive or helpful to say, don't say anything at all. I am not concerned that "you have a hard time believing that I can not find clothing" because as I stated I do, and I have no need to explain myself or convince you.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:
What are you talking about? I never even post on this forum, let alone said anything about skinny people being out to get me - LOL! And while I am a moderator for another forum here, we're still allowed to participate as members, and I didn't say anything that was against TOS. Believe me, if I wanted to get nasty, my post would have read much differently.

Btw, you completely missed my point in that skating comment... I was simply trying to say that one doesn't have to be thin to be in good shape, despite what some of you were saying/thinking. Furthermore, I've been both skinny and fat (now somewhere in the middle), and my sister is very thin, as I mentioned earlier - so I have absolutely nothing against thin people, or I'd be a self-hater and hater of my sister, who's the closest person in the world to me.
Actually, referring back to this comment you wrote, none of us posted that you must be thin to be in good shape. I am not sure how you know what any of us are thinking? I didn't want to name this, calling all skinny women, because I am not just thin, but very fit, I am a size 0 but I can squat much more than my weight and am very muscular.

But I think too many people think they are fit when they are not. Get your BMI tested, and your body fat percentage, as well as your cardiovascular performance levels, that is the real indicator. But againg that is off topic, much as many of your posts are, which it seems a moderator should know better.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
Not sure what your PPS is about, don't think anyone asked if you ate healthy or exercised? You know, I do not get on the threads posted by larger women and barrage them, I wish larger women would not feel so threatened or insecure because this thread is not about them.
You said that women in Europe walk and exercise, therefore they don't cater to larger sizes... you also put thin/fit together, which implied you thought they were one and the same. I'm sorry, but a few of you were being rude, whether or not you realize it. I really didn't mean to start a debate, and originally came in here to offer some advice - but a few snarky comments rubbed me wrong, and I couldn't resist responding. Doesn't seem like I'm the sensitive one here, LOL.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
But I think too many people think they are fit when they are not. Get your BMI tested, and your body fat percentage, as well as your cardiovascular performance levels, that is the real indicator. But againg that is off topic, much as many of your posts are, which it seems a moderator should know better.
I have had all of those tested, thanks, and used to be a professional athlete and coach. I was on-topic, since my comments were directly responding to others from the thread - guess I should have quoted them, since you seem to not remember what you've said here. Anyway, you can get back to your discussion now, and I'll steer clear of this area from now on... and as I said above, I'm not just a moderator (which is a volunteer "position" that I was asked to do, fyi), I am also a regular member who posted here long before I was asked to moderate. So I have every right to say what I please, as long as it's within TOS! And how do you know I often post off-topic, when I never even visit this forum? I've stuck mostly to my own forums (SF, San Jose, etc.) for at least the last 6 months, so I'm not sure how you all seem to know my posting style here.

Anyway, sorry you didn't like my suggestions, but you asked for advice - and the cheaper & vintage stores do cut things smaller, and have surprisingly nice things occasionally. I too prefer "finer clothing," but sometimes you gotta go with what fits and flatters. I've been a wide variety of sizes in my lifetime, and found that you have to make compromises sometimes... I have also learned how to shop effectively, which usually involved trying EVERYTHING and going into stores you might not think are your style. I'm your age (31), and often find "mature" but cute things in surprising places, like Hot Topic or Limited. If clothing is so hard to find in your size, maybe it's time to be a bit less particular about brand names??

Last edited by gizmo980; 04-09-2008 at 03:07 PM..

Old 04-09-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
You said that women in Europe walk and exercise, therefore they don't cater to larger sizes... you also put thin/fit together, which implied you thought they were one and the same. I'm sorry, but a few of you were being rude, whether or not you realize it. I really didn't mean to start a debate, and originally came in here to offer some advice - but a few snarky comments rubbed me wrong, and I couldn't resist responding. Doesn't seem like I'm the sensitive one here, LOL.
Honestly, if you are going to quote me, do so correctly and accurately. I never said that in Europe they don't cater to larger sizes. I said it is easier to find smaller sizes there. I was born there and everyone of my family were as well, so I think I have a pretty good idea.

Also, your ridiculous comment about me being too obsessed with brand names? Because I refuse to purchase teenager clothing? That has nothing to do with brands, I myself have a preteen, I refuse to wear the same clothing as she does. I don't live in San Francisco, if I did, I would have many more options, though I love the city. Here in the midwest, where I am about to move away from, some of the store owners told me that most people are larger here, so due to supply and demand, they do not sell smaller clothing.

Really this thread has nothing to do with you. I was asking women who wear a size 0 or 2 where they shop. Since you obviously are larger, I have no need for your opinions. Sorry to hit a nerve, but no need to hate on us thin/fit women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty