Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 03:15 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,391,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westindian View Post
What a rude, condescending, arrogant, insulting post. This truly was not needed. No one on here was trying to belittle larger women. If you clearly read the original post and didn't jump to such high and mighty conclusions then you would understand that. Not all skinny/thin/fit women are out to make larger women feel as if they are not the status quo. I find it quite comical that you are in here throwing insults first and YOU are the one defending your size with your outrages statements. I personally do not care what size you are. If you are having problems finding a proper fit then you were more than welcome to post something constructive in here, no one would have judged you. We are all adults. Not teenagers with an ax to grind.

For the record, I also have a huge chest. A 34 DDD is very large for my frame, large enough to be a candidate for breast reduction surgery. Even with my larger chest, I am still to small for most small and medium shirts. This is a problem that I am facing, and I do not need to read comments like yours from people like you who believe I don't have a problem. I cannot stand it when people dismiss the issues that others are having just because they view their issues to be much more serious. The original person who asked this question, along with the others who responded all related to each other. The fact is that clothing is getting bigger and it is harder for smaller sized individuals to find clothing. It has always been that way for women in the extra-small to petite category, yet now that category is growing because American stores want to cater to everyone while making them feel like they are a smaller size.

Another thing. I don't like being referred to has a teeny-tiny. I am an adult woman, not a miniature hamster. I refer to myself as having a small figure. I don't refer to larger women has hefty or huge, so I deserve the same respect.

Then you say we are all "backwards" about vanity sizing??? It is a proven fact that this is a real thing and NO it is not the opposite. American woman are the largest in the world with the most screwed up sizing. Manufacturers do this to appeal to a broader variety of consumers. Vanity sizing is very real.

If you want to be taken seriously in life, then don't come across as so brash and rude to other people. Again, the tone of this post was unnecessary. Not one person tried to bash anyone of a larger size. Just to let you know I was once 270 pounds and have lost over half of my body weight. I have been through all spectrums of the clothing world at various sizes. Shopping in the smaller category as been the hardest for me. I a very fit and lean and have a lot of trouble. Now, I expect you to discount my statements because of course your issues are much more serious than mine. In fact, I probably don't understand right?

PS. I have lived in Europe (London, Paris, Barcelona, and Munich). I have also lived in South Africa and Australia and I am only 26. I love fashion and agree with you able the cuts being more feminine and appealing. However, the sizing ranges are correct in these areas and smaller sizes are true to size.
I agree with you. I am small too...about 5'1" 104lbs...and I have the hardest time finding clothes...esp. pants as well as shoes. SHoes have got to be the hardest thing going! I am a size 5 and most lines start @ a 6, which is always too big. I am often too big for the kids department, and @ 27 years old, I don't want to look younger than I already look.

What I do need to ask you is how are you too small for small or medium shirts? I am a 34B and half the time I can't even button a small button-down b/c it doesn't fit over my chest...and I'm not very big. So the body of the shirt fits fine, but the chest area never does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I'm 54, fit and thin (5 foot 6 and a half inches, 118 lbs) but have fairly wide hips.

My shopping choices are limited unless I drive a bit.

We do have a Coldwater Creek here, (I know, where old hippies go to die) and I get a size Small. Chicos, too, where I get a 0, but I think they are so overpriced that I hardly shop there.
I agree with Amanda that Target can sometimes be a good place to shop.
I've also had good luck with ordering from Eddie Bauer, though fashionistas might not approve.

I used to like Express and Anthropolgie but feel too old for that now.
My mom is petite and she shops @ J-Jill. She's 59, so it's def. not a teenager or juvenile store.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:26 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,168,031 times
I have the problem with dress shirts, nothing fits my chest and arms, and I always have to resort to wearing something that almost hits my knees.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:34 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,906,663 times
Basically, what I have found is that higher end clothing caters to smaller women. Of course not all the time, but often this is the case. For example, if I go to a typical mall store, white house black market, macys, etc, a 0 fits like a 4 a lot of the time, or it can not be found at all.
If I shop brands like Theory, Trina Turk, etc, and go to independent boutiques with higher end brands, their size 0 fits me perfectly. Of course pants might still need to be tailored, since I am 5'2.5 (lol) with 6' legs, but at least things fit better. Yes, they are much pricier, but if you take care of your clothes and buy classic/timeless pieces, they should last much longer anyway.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:43 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,508,435 times
westindian - Congratulations on your weight loss - that is quite an achievement.
I am going to be honest here - I am overweight and working on it and I am extremely jealous of thin women - most fat women are - lets get real.
For the most part I see much more options in clothing for thin women - but for the very thin I suggest going for high end designer clothes - they seem only made for the very thin NYC or LA model type person - wait for a sample sale if you cant afford couture prices -

Old 09-16-2009, 07:49 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,906,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I agree with you. I am small too...about 5'1" 104lbs...and I have the hardest time finding clothes...esp. pants as well as shoes. SHoes have got to be the hardest thing going! I am a size 5 and most lines start @ a 6, which is always too big. I am often too big for the kids department, and @ 27 years old, I don't want to look younger than I already look.

What I do need to ask you is how are you too small for small or medium shirts? I am a 34B and half the time I can't even button a small button-down b/c it doesn't fit over my chest...and I'm not very big. So the body of the shirt fits fine, but the chest area never does.
That is strange, it must depend on the brand. I am a 34B and smalls and mediums are huge on me! It must depend on the torso/bone/ size etc

Old 09-17-2009, 05:46 PM

291 posts, read 1,075,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
Basically, what I have found is that higher end clothing caters to smaller women. Of course not all the time, but often this is the case. For example, if I go to a typical mall store, white house black market, macys, etc, a 0 fits like a 4 a lot of the time, or it can not be found at all.
If I shop brands like Theory, Trina Turk, etc, and go to independent boutiques with higher end brands, their size 0 fits me perfectly. Of course pants might still need to be tailored, since I am 5'2.5 (lol) with 6' legs, but at least things fit better. Yes, they are much pricier, but if you take care of your clothes and buy classic/timeless pieces, they should last much longer anyway.
This is very, very true. To the extent that weight problems are often tied to socio-economic status (wealthier people, on average tend to be thinner/fitter due to better food choices and more time to exercise plus higher levels of education which leads to better life choices) I suppose it makes sense. Your average Target shopper *looks* a whole lot different than your average BCBG/Theory/Tahari/fill in the blank shopper. Still it leaves a lot of us out in the cold. I can remember when clothes from the Gap, Limited, etc., used to fit me right off the rack in a size 4. That was only 15 years ago and now their size 0's are falling off of me. Trust me- I did NOT shrink over the past 15 years! Something really needs to be done about this.....

Old 09-17-2009, 06:26 PM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,368,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
That is strange, it must depend on the brand. I am a 34B and smalls and mediums are huge on me! It must depend on the torso/bone/ size etc
Agreed. I'm not thin by any means, but my torso isn't large (though it is long, and my bone structure is heavy) and definitely has (good and natural hourglass) shape, and at a 36D, I can only fit in certain mediums, but usually have to go for larges because of my chest (I don't like my shirts tentish around my waist, and super tight around my chest)

Old 09-18-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo Riley View Post
This is very, very true. To the extent that weight problems are often tied to socio-economic status (wealthier people, on average tend to be thinner/fitter due to better food choices and more time to exercise plus higher levels of education which leads to better life choices) I suppose it makes sense. Your average Target shopper *looks* a whole lot different than your average BCBG/Theory/Tahari/fill in the blank shopper. Still it leaves a lot of us out in the cold. I can remember when clothes from the Gap, Limited, etc., used to fit me right off the rack in a size 4. That was only 15 years ago and now their size 0's are falling off of me. Trust me- I did NOT shrink over the past 15 years! Something really needs to be done about this.....
Actually Target is great and they carry ALOT of designer labels now...including Isaac Mizrahi and a lot of others. It is definitely not a store for unfashionable people.

Old 09-18-2009, 04:19 PM

434 posts, read 934,152 times
I am 5'4/110lbs. I shop Banana Republic, J.Crew, Ann Taylor loft, Express, The Limited, Gap for clothes most of time for professional outfit but junior sector of a few stores such as Target for casual clothes. It is best deal for me in junior section and why not!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty