Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 12:52 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,934,528 times

Advertisements

Try stores catering to Asian women (especially if you have a straighter figure). Places like Uniqlo and Artizia are becoming more common in the US. And have smaller sizes.

Or try the Euro "fast-fashion" brands like Zara and Mango.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 08:47 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,920,091 times
Bebe, guess, and Ann Taylor. Ann Taylor has a large petite section and I think they run true to size. Also express is good for jeans but the tops are kind of co-edish.

avoid: gap and old navy

Old 01-13-2013, 12:34 PM

632 posts, read 1,032,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Try stores catering to Asian women .
What? Ive never seen any stores that cater to Asian women.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:06 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,934,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capablanca View Post
Oh they exist. Japanese brands like Uniqlo of course. And then the Canadian brand Artizia targets the smaller framed asian woman. If I recall the start at xxs in many items. These brands also tend to use a smaller waist hip gap too. Like typical american brands use 9-10 inches as the gap between. The brands catering to asian women tend to pick an ~7-8 inch gap.

Uniqlo chart

Artizia chart

Notice that Uniqlo's largest size has 34" waist and 41" hips. Typical American/European brands would pair a 34" waist with about 43-44.5 inch hips.

Also try Australian brand Cotton On. This brand is cut a little smaller than the typical american brand. Especially for pants.
Size Guide | Cotton On

Here is Zara's chart for reference:
http://www.zara.com/webapp/wcs/store...&storeId=11719

Notice how the smallest hip measurement is actually a couple inches bigger than the ones for Artizia and Uniqlo. Zara is assuming that the women are more pear shaped than the other brands.

The thing is, no matter what size you are, you want to find brands that use fit models with similar proportions to yours. (i.e. are they using "B" cup models or "F" cup models. Are they picking models with "fuller" thighs or "slimmer" ones. "Hourglass" or "banana" or "apple" shaped. Short or long torsos.... all this stuff has a big impact on proper fit!

Old 01-13-2013, 02:19 PM

571 posts, read 1,202,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Try stores catering to Asian women (especially if you have a straighter figure). Places like Uniqlo and Artizia are becoming more common in the US. And have smaller sizes.

Or try the Euro "fast-fashion" brands like Zara and Mango.
^^^ Yes, those are excellent brands in terms of small sizing.

Also, becoming adept at mixing and matching from some of the "younger" stores is key. You can go into these shops and avoid the trendier styles but find the perfect jeans/pants, solid t-shirts, etc.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:37 PM

30,409 posts, read 52,029,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capablanca View Post
I've seen many (whether it's subtle or blatant marketing) - given that you live in California too, I'm surprised you haven't seen them!

Speaking of which, my mother is very petite with teeny tiny feet... and she often goes shopping in Chinatown, LOL.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:44 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,790,560 times
Two shops that I always have to size up in are American Apparel and American Eagle. AA is nice because it has a wide selection of casual foundation pieces but you can't be scared off by the gold lamé spandex and neon tribal print. AE sizing takes a little trial and error. The XS yoga pants fits me nicely without that shrink wrapped look, but I struggle to fit into their size 4 skinny jeans. Obviously it's aimed at more of a teenage market, but who would know as long as you don't pick out the tattered jean short shorts?

Old 01-16-2013, 01:46 PM

370 posts, read 655,233 times
I am size 2, so I am not that small like you guys but I recommend Urban Outfitters, I know its young store, 20-30s, but even if you are older you can still find really elegant dresses sometimes. I go and buy black dresses and find great jeans. They carry size 24 jeans...and xs dresses.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:43 PM

353 posts, read 396,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
Where do you shop??? Does it seem like clothes are getting bigger? I mean seriously, maybe its because I am in the midwest but I can't find anything to fit me in a size 0! And I am 32, so I am not interested in shopping in the junior's section!

I tried White House Black Market- their size 0 was too big. I tried Limited/Express/Arden B....again all too big. I went into Macys and many of the lines only carry size 2 and up. I asked them why? They said it was just supply and demand...they sell the larger sizes so they stock the larger sizes.

Basically the only clothes I purchase are BEBE in a 0, but it gets old buying the same brand over and over. They do have some higher end items, its not just club clothing, I have well tailored pants and shorts from them but I want to branch out to another brand!

And although I am 5'3" I can not fit into a petite because my inseam is too long...

Maybe my options will grow when we move to Florida in a few months...I hope so but until then any advice?
I'm petite (size 2), however I can wear a size 0 (depending on the clothing type/style). I recommend Anne Taylor's Loft if you're interested in professional business clothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty