Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 06:16 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times

Advertisements

I'd be more likely to color my hair (once I finally cut it short) than to apply makeup every day. Unfortunately, it's not turning into a beautiful silver, but an ugly -- IMO -- steel gray and I, too, think playing with color would be fun. Also, it's not something you do every day. Maybe that's an inconsistency on my part -- I'm not sure. But at least I definitely will never waste money on mani/pedis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 06:36 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I was once in a meeting when I noticed none of the women wear nail polish. As it turned out, overall they looked unkempt as well. The yellowy nails with what appeared to be "stuff" under them was not a pleasant sight. How hard is to put a dab of nail polish before going out? Are they trying to make a statement?
Definitely a guy. You don't just "dab" on some nail polish before walking out the door. Between base coat, two coats of color, and top coat, with drying time in between each layer, it can take a half hour just to get them painted. Then you have to let them dry completely or else they'll get messed up.

And BTW, that nail polish causes the yellowy nails if worn all the time. Hence the reason a lot of women don't. My nails aren't yellow because I wear polish so rarely. I keep them shaped, keep the cuticles in good condition, and buff them occasionally. That's all they need.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:41 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Can I just point out the obvious: that MEN aren't expected to dye their hair, paint their nails, shave their legs, restrict their food, and spackle their faces in order to be not only socially acceptable, but also attractive and successful? Not to mention how much all this costs women who are already underpaid? Maybe "women's lib" needs to take up this cause.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:48 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times
I got my husband a gift certificate for getting his hair colored (when I worked at the salon) and he loved it. Colored it for years. They did a fantastic job of leaving just enough gray to look natural.

He doesn't any longer but he sure liked not looking older than he was while he was getting it colored.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:59 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
If anything, women who don't wear makeup have MORE self-respect and confidence; we feel unapologetically adequate in our natural states. Sure, we could look "better" with it (arguably), but we're not tied up in knots about impressing others (especially strangers)...

The dependence on makeup, hair dye, and expensive "fashionable" clothing is just more Madison Avenue programming...
Until around age 30, I would not leave the house without the whole deal. And I used Max Factor pancake makeup.

Living in the sun and being a smoker for years didn't help my skin. But something clicked and I decided i was good enough.

Madison Avenue lost control of my life. Have not worn make up since. Or bought expensive clothing. Land's End is fine.

Cars and houses, too. I am not what I drive or what my house looks like.

I have seen plenty of females discount another person as being awful. When I asked what's so bad about that person, the answer was that they didn't wear makeup. I stopped being around those kinda women, too.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:06 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
I never wear makeup. Have not had any one for decades. Not since I was employed as a clown.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:17 AM

110 posts, read 170,483 times
I'm 50, and I haven't worn makeup since college. I do get my eyelashes and brows dyed once a month because otherwise they're invisible. But I think an extra half hour of sleep in the morning does more for my looks than spending that time awake and wrestling with foundation and whatnot.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:33 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
My wife rarely does. Whenever she talks about using it I hasten to point out that some women just don't need it.

(Yes, you learn a thing or two in 40+ years of marriage.)

Old 02-20-2018, 11:43 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Definitely a guy. You don't just "dab" on some nail polish before walking out the door. Between base coat, two coats of color, and top coat, with drying time in between each layer, it can take a half hour just to get them painted. Then you have to let them dry completely or else they'll get messed up.
Right? If you "dabbed" on a little polish just before going out, you'd look like your manicure was done by a toddler with her eyes closed before you even got in the car.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:00 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I've never worn it.
My skin doesn't like it, I always feel it on, I mess with my face too much not to schmear it everywhere, my glasses would screw it up, I have zero tolerance for maintenance during the day, my job is very active, I like to splash water on my face or wash my face after eating, and I only really go out to do sports or grocery shop otherwise (neither of which require make-up).

Hey, if it's your wedding, I'll put some on and do it up nice. But otherwise, it will be like my whole life - moisturizer (daytime for day, nighttime for night) and that's it.
I shave before wearing shorts (which is a lot bc of tennis).
I don't dye my hair, but I'm lucky to be 42 and not greying yet.

This has never stopped me from getting hit on by lots of people, having a great career, building a business, making friends/connections, etc.

Nail polish?! BWAH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!! Yeah, right. They are cut, shaped, and clean. That's all that matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty