Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 09:04 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,440,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I get into this (circular) argument all the time, but...

They "feel more confident in themselves wearing makeup" because they don't feel good enough without it. Because of the anticipated negative judgments of OTHERS. Therefore, they're wearing it for OTHERS and not THEMSELVES. If no one was going to see them, they likely wouldn't bother for THEMSELVES. Unless you're looking at a mirror, you can't see yourself, so obviously it's for effect. And I believe it's a sad commentary that a woman can't "feel good about herself" without wearing a mask. Just my opinion.

I'll allow that I've reached the age where I'd look better with it that without it, but I don't feel "bad" about myself without it, and I wish other women wouldn't, either.
Very true.

I'm aging and I'm sure makeup could make me or some of my features look better but I really don't care what others think I feel good when I'm showered and cleaned up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
Unfortunately how we look when going into meetings or at workplaces is a direct correlation on how we are perceived.
And isn't that sad. Just goes to show how so many get brainwashed by advertising and/or trends of who does what first.

Last edited by ylisa7; 02-19-2018 at 09:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 11:59 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,279,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Personally, I wear makeup not because of low self esteem, but because it's a self respect thing. Because I have respect for myself, I want the world to see a polished version of myself. It's also why I style my hair and don't wear cheap, sloppy, or ill-fitting clothes.
Are you suggesting that women who don't wear make up don't have self-respect? You're offended that someone might say wearing make up is a sign of low self esteem, but then you are all in for insulting women who make a different choice than you do.

How about we all acknowledge that wearing make up has little to do with self respect or self esteem and is simply something that all women have the right to make their own choices about?

Old 02-19-2018, 12:08 PM

22,106 posts, read 13,115,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Are you suggesting that women who don't wear make up don't have self-respect? You're offended that someone might say wearing make up is a sign of low self esteem, but then you are all in for insulting women who make a different choice than you do.

How about we all acknowledge that wearing make up has little to do with self respect or self esteem and is simply something that all women have the right to make their own choices about?
If anything, women who don't wear makeup have MORE self-respect and confidence; we feel unapologetically adequate in our natural states. Sure, we could look "better" with it (arguably), but we're not tied up in knots about impressing others (especially strangers)...

The dependence on makeup, hair dye, and expensive "fashionable" clothing is just more Madison Avenue programming...

Old 02-19-2018, 12:11 PM

16,433 posts, read 12,578,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post

Did you miss the very first word of the post? "Personally." For me. YMMV. It has no bearing on anyone else. Nor does it color my view of anyone else. I don't care what anyone else does. FOR ME, it's a matter of self respect.

And where did I say I was offended that someone might say wearing makeup is a sign of low self esteem? Perhaps you could stop putting words in my mouth?

Old 02-19-2018, 01:04 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,955,372 times
People should adorn themselves in a way that allows them to be comfortable and confident confronting the world. No judgement on if that power suit includes mascara, lipstick, panty hose, yoga pants, jeans, a blazer, heels or a t-shirt.

Obviously not everything is appropriate for every scenario, but wearing or not wearing makeup doesn’t reflect anything other than using whatever tools you have in your toolbox.

Old 02-19-2018, 01:16 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,594,252 times
My 67 year old wife says she's never worn any make up. Never saw a need for it. Her daughters tried to get her to let them "make her up" for our wedding and she told them to ask me if I wanted them to. I said no. She looks fine just the way she is.

I do have a funny tale about women and make up. When we got married I went to church with ex#2 for a while before going to another. She belonged to an independent Baptist and the pastor was preaching one Sunday about women's make up, dresses,etc. He said "There's nothing wrong with a little make up. Every old barn needs a new coat of paint every now and then." That's when we ALL heard his wife ask "Who are you calling an old barn?"

Old 02-19-2018, 01:25 PM

29,775 posts, read 34,503,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
People should adorn themselves in a way that allows them to be comfortable and confident confronting the world. No judgement on if that power suit includes mascara, lipstick, panty hose, yoga pants, jeans, a blazer, heels or a t-shirt.

Obviously not everything is appropriate for every scenario, but wearing or not wearing makeup doesn’t reflect anything other than using whatever tools you have in your toolbox.
Agreed, though I'm kind of curious to know how many of the women who don't ever wear makeup also don't color their hair--does that kind of "naturalness" go hand in hand, or is it a whole different thing?

Old 02-19-2018, 02:30 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,439,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Agreed, though I'm kind of curious to know how many of the women who don't ever wear makeup also don't color their hair--does that kind of "naturalness" go hand in hand, or is it a whole different thing?
It's a very slippery slope...if you don't wear makeup...why should you color your hair? Or wear anything other than the cheapest flip flops/sneakers? Or wear anything other than walmart sweatshirts and sweatpants?

We all rationalize that whatever we do PERSONALLY is for the most commendable reasons and if anyone else does something differently it's because they feel bad about themselves or are trying too hard because they are jealous of others...basically women being catty to other women.

I'll wear whatever makeup, shoes and clothes I want to, without apology to anyone.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:35 PM

10,627 posts, read 12,180,119 times
I might wear lipstick once or twice a year. To a family event or party. Or business meeting.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:51 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,440,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
For some that would go hand in hand. With or without makeup I feel I would look "pretty much" the same. If I had let my hair go I would have been very grey in my 30's. For me that would have made me feel very old before my time although I do hate dyeing it. My MIL is 86 and still dyes her hair. Of course it looks very unnatural. There is no way I will continue with that PITA job for that long, lol. I imagine I will stop dyeing my hair in my early 60's.

So yeah looks like the advertisers got to me about my hair
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty