Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 07:53 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,664,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
Yes, I will Google also - but i'd like to hear if anyone has experience with any certain brands or types.

Since i retired, i don't wear a lot of makeup - i wear a bit when i go out someplace special. I rarely wear foundation.

I was using Bare Minerals for my "foundation" for a while, but i'd like to find something 'creamy' - if there is anything - that works good for an older face of 58. Wrinkles, age spots, fine lines, broken blood vessels etc. I don't want something to look like a mask, i'd rather go bare-faced. I don't want to look ghostly white or orange either. I always have problems with all of these... (I don't expect total coverage without getting the look of spackle, but something in between would be good.)

Any suggestions on brands or types? Thanks.
I like Estee Lauder Double Wear Light. The regular Double Wear is too heavy and highlights fine lines. If you have a department store nearby, they'll probably let you try it at the makeup counter. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 09:33 PM

22,891 posts, read 6,452,771 times
I am 70 and have acne scars from long ago....I use Revlon's Colorstay buff, I don't want any
reddish tint and the buff color is perfect.

Old 12-16-2017, 06:37 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,142,130 times
Older skin here too. I went thru a lot of different makeups in the past few yrs. Trying to find one to even out skin tone and cover up spots a little better but without looking dry or heavy.
I eventually settled on a combination of 2 and for me it works perfectly.
I use Estee Lauder Double wear in Fresco which on it's own is buildable but can also look chalky. And Neutrogena oil free skin clearing makeup (in natural ivory) which on it's own has decent coverage but is too shiny for this 60 yr old face. Together- they're great for me.
I keep a little tiny dish (olive oil dipper) on my makeup table and I pour a little of each onto it and mix it. I probably use a combination of 2/3 the neutrogena to 1/3 the Estee. And it just glides on. I just scrape whatever is left over with my finger back into the Neutrogena bottle. I've gotten many compliments on my skin and makeup since I started doing this.
I mentioned the shades because I found that with many foundation makeups the color can actually change the texture. Don't know why or how but it does. I can tell when I put it on my face.
Anyway...after going thru dozens of expensive and less expensive makeups.. that's what works for me.
(but any makeup always after using a good moisturizer)

Old 12-16-2017, 08:18 AM

1,251 posts, read 1,080,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbad View Post
Elta MD is a broad band sunscreen with tint to it. It is amazing! The coverage is nice and it makes my skin look dewey and youthful. It also contains hydralonic acid to help with wrinkles.
My dermatologist got me in to this!🙂 in the summer if I need al little extra coverage, I blend Laura Mercier’s Tinted Moisturizer - the oil free version.

Old 12-16-2017, 08:19 AM

1,251 posts, read 1,080,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl456 View Post
Check out Angie at hotandflashy50. com. She also has a youtube channel by the same name. She tests and reviews all kinds of makeup/products for the more mature woman. She does "foundation Friday" videos that are very helpful.
Angie has had a lot of work done, which is fine, but I just want ladies to know she has had procedures.

Old 12-17-2017, 03:05 PM

4,641 posts, read 11,957,288 times
I always prep with a moisturizer or primer and then I use either ELF illuminating CC or Smashbox (love their primer, too) illuminating foundation. Revlon has an illuminating foundation that works for me, too. Can't recall the name.

I'm almost 50 and the key for me is to start with either moisturizer or primer and then always use an illuminating bb/cc or foundation.

Old 12-18-2017, 12:31 AM

5,592 posts, read 8,424,036 times
I have one that no one has recommended, and that is Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Radiant Firming Makeup. It definitely has a luminous sheen that reflects light and minimizes fine lines. I have been having a hard time finding the liquid version (my luck, they'll discontinue it!)....what they have now is mostly Instant Age Rewind "Eraser Treatment Makeup", which has an applicator. Maybe it's supposed to be the same thing, but I find the liquid more luminous.

On days when I don't want to go full makeup, I use L'Oreal Magic Skin Beautifier BB Cream. It starts out white and then turns skin-color. Although, I just did a side-by-side test of both on my hand, and I realize the Maybelline foundation is actually lighter than the BB cream. The "foundation" swatch totally blends in with my skin and has a little sheen to it. The BB cream really doesn't have any sheen and looks chalkier.

I am 67 and I can tell you that matte foundations are not our friend at this age. I tried using those whipped airbrush type foundations and they just settled into my wrinkles. I also tried a more expensive "luminous" foundation from Ulta (thinking more expensive would be better) and realized it wasn't as good as my Maybelline!

Old 12-18-2017, 06:19 AM

4,855 posts, read 3,659,114 times
I bought some of the referenced L'Oréal Magic Nude Liquid Powder foundation off ebay and love it!! Just ordered three more bottles.

Liquid and finishes lightly powdery.

Works with my zillions of fine lines....

I also use Estee Lauder Double Wear but find it very heavy. I bought a little travel size of Ponds cold cream and mixed some of the liquid make-up into it and it is very light and has a light coverage.

Last edited by mschrief; 12-18-2017 at 07:32 AM..

Old 12-18-2017, 06:35 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,383,840 times
I've started using multiple foundations depending on the day. If I'm just running errands I'll use Revlon Color Stay alone or CoverGirl Olay over a moisturizer. If I'm going out and want to look better, I'm combining Revlon Youth Fix + Blur with the Revlon Color Stay. I use this over a primer. I found the Youth Fix + Blur a little too heavy, but adding a little bit of the lighter weight Color Stay does the trick for me. I find the combination doesn't settle into the fine lines.

I need my foundation to cover redness. (in my mid-50's).

Old 12-19-2017, 10:05 PM

26,832 posts, read 22,637,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
Yes, I will Google also - but i'd like to hear if anyone has experience with any certain brands or types.

Since i retired, i don't wear a lot of makeup - i wear a bit when i go out someplace special. I rarely wear foundation.

I was using Bare Minerals for my "foundation" for a while, but i'd like to find something 'creamy' - if there is anything - that works good for an older face of 58. Wrinkles, age spots, fine lines, broken blood vessels etc. I don't want something to look like a mask, i'd rather go bare-faced. I don't want to look ghostly white or orange either. I always have problems with all of these... (I don't expect total coverage without getting the look of spackle, but something in between would be good.)

Any suggestions on brands or types? Thanks.
If you want something "creamy" - this is not liquid, but cream for real - i.e. it's much thicker and gives better coverage.

The choice of colors is not all that great I'd say, and it probably works better for dry/mixed skin?
Not sure, but quality is pretty good for the price.

After Dior foundations this is probably my second favorite.

https://www.yvesrocherusa.com/contro...cmSrc=Category
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty