Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 06:12 AM

50,390 posts, read 64,095,870 times

Advertisements

Make Up For Ever, by Sephora is what I started using lately, and I like it. It goes on very thin, so is easy to blend before it sets, and I cannot feel it on my face (a feeling I hate). It does not irritate my eyes either.

I’m 69, and like OP, don’t wear foundation very often. I usually just use tinted moisturizer. I set out to find a makeup online, and the Sephora was highly recommended. I especially wanted to buy it somewhere where a person would help find the correct shade for me. It is $43. but compared to all the money Ive wasted on drug store makeup that was the wrong shade, it’s worth it. My Sephora is in the local JC Penney.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2017, 08:46 AM

13 posts, read 8,864 times
Check out Angie at hotandflashy50. com. She also has a youtube channel by the same name. She tests and reviews all kinds of makeup/products for the more mature woman. She does "foundation Friday" videos that are very helpful.

Old 12-09-2017, 10:10 AM

20,951 posts, read 28,472,843 times
I fi I do use a cream type of foundation, I like the BB cream by Maybelline.

Old 12-09-2017, 10:12 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,564,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Make Up For Ever, by Sephora is what I started using lately, and I like it. It goes on very thin, so is easy to blend before it sets, and I cannot feel it on my face (a feeling I hate). It does not irritate my eyes either.

I’m 69, and like OP, don’t wear foundation very often. I usually just use tinted moisturizer. I set out to find a makeup online, and the Sephora was highly recommended. I especially wanted to buy it somewhere where a person would help find the correct shade for me. It is $43. but compared to all the money Ive wasted on drug store makeup that was the wrong shade, it’s worth it. My Sephora is in the local JC Penney.
My Mom (now deceased) always told me that if you are going to splurge on one thing (cosmetic wise) - it should be foundation.

When I was young - I used to love to watch her put on make-up and transform herself.

Old 12-09-2017, 10:16 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,566,252 times
The Garnier BB crème is very good and reasonably priced.

Old 12-09-2017, 11:26 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,207,589 times
For those of you who say that makeup runs or wears off, please know that there are products that won't do this.

The CC cream I am now using is definitely still on my face at the end of the day; I can see in on my washcloth when I cleanse my face.

I do understand that some of us do not wish to wear makeup, which is a personal decision. I do hope that all of us are moisturizing daily though.

How many of us arrived at our product choices was experimentation. We had to try stuff. If cost is a factor, definitely start with drugstore brands. At Walgreens, once a month, those of us who are over 54 can get 20% off any purchase, except for sale items. That is often how I buy products to try. There are also coupons online for many products.

Old 12-09-2017, 12:02 PM

2,046 posts, read 3,359,608 times
Thanks - more good ideas.

Yes i would splurge on a good type if i thought it would look decent. I don't mind paying the money for something that is truly better. I am going to have fun looking these things up.

Old 12-09-2017, 12:08 PM

17 posts, read 24,421 times
You have a lot of good responses here, but I have to add my two cents worth. I highly recommend Sorme Treatment Cosmetics. The Sorme Mineral Illusion Oil-free Luminous Foundation works just as well as Lancome Renergie at half the price. You can find this brand at a quality beauty supply store, usually an independent one with a beauty salon attached. The other thing I would recommend is a primer like Murad Invisiblur, which is a primer and skin treatment in one, it smooths on and fills pores, lines and wrinkles. The other item I would recommend is Dermalogica PhytoReplenish Oil with Camelia Oil. It smells divine and smooths over the skin and makes your skin glow, but not oily. You can use it alone or under makeup.

I alternate either the Murad or the Dermalogica product under my makeup and always end up with a flawless finish.

You might also consider the condition of your skin. Are you using a good moisturizer for your skin type? Is it enough moisture for this time of year? Having the right moisturizer can do wonders for your skin. And a moisturizer with retinol is always a good thing. Over time, it will smooth out lines and wrinkles, which also helps makeup go on smoother.

Old 12-09-2017, 01:29 PM

9,730 posts, read 14,284,802 times
Like the Original Poster, I tried many foundations, and found none that worked for me. Finally, just a month ago (and I'm 77 now ) I found Simply Ageless Foundation Primer with Olay (clear-no tint) by Covergirl. What a discovery! Now, I'm using many of the foundations that didn't work before, but do now! It wasn't those foundations; I needed that particular Primer, and I had tried other primers before that ! I'm thrilled with the results....no caking, no mask look, and my foundation glides on. I've been on the hunt for great cosmetics all of my life, since I wear makeup every day. (Doesn't hurt that I started moisturizing my face and hands twice/day when I was 14, and also inherited my mother's wrinkle free, clear porcelain skin.)

Old 12-09-2017, 11:21 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,834,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
Thanks for all the answers.

I have tried a BB, and a CC (I think it was called). I have had bad luck with everything.

I think i will try the True Match. I see so many "ghost faces" and orange faces and i wonder why no one tells them. I guess they are afraid to. I don't want to look like that! Just to have some cover and softness when i fix myself up

Thanks again.

If you go to the makeup counter at the department store the sales person can apply different shades and formulas of foundation to get a good match for your skin tone.
I'm 39 but like Clinique. Now that I'm older I need some moisturizer prior to putting on the foundation. My mom is 64 and uses Chanel I think. Its expensive but it lasts a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty