Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 12:32 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,046,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelfRescuingPrincess View Post
there is a BIG difference between buying out Ulta/Sephora, putting a 1" coat of makeup on, and putting on designer duds day after day and keeping yourself decently groomed, styled nicely and smelling good. You can easily do the latter without breaking the budget.

You will generally attract what you see in the mirror.
Have you priced makeup? I looked this weekend and they want $15 for a little round thing of powder. The hair dresser charges me over $100 to dye my hair! That is crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
I'm a jeans and tee shirt kind of woman. Except for special occasions where I dress up, I don't wear makeup other than mascara because I have blonde eyelashes. I do take care of myself though: exercise, eat right, personal hygiene, etc. I found my boyfriend this way and I'm happy he likes a low maintenance woman. Although I'm not looking for marriage. So I can't comment on that part.
Good for you! Life is too short to wear anything uncomfortable!

Old 12-07-2016, 12:35 PM

602 posts, read 396,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I agree.

Currently I am wearing 10 year old jeans that have holes at the back pockets. My hair is three colors and needed to be dyed about 4 inches ago. My budget and schedule can't keep up with hair maintenance. The only make up I own is 3 different lip balms.

I am not ugly at all, but I have never been high maintenance with clothing and make up.

Old Navy has relatively inexpensive jeans. Or even Walmart. And buy a few nice tops while you're there.

Take the time to read the conditioner bottles in the beauty isle of your local pharmacy/beauty shop/walmart/Target. Pick a good leave-in conditioner for color treated hair as well as a good dry shampoo. Also, spend $5 on a box of hair dye and make your hair uniform.

Unless you have problem skin, just make sure you drink plenty of water, take vitamin C and Omega-3 supplements, and wear a light sunscreen daily.

None of this is terribly expensive or time-consuming.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:35 PM

29,764 posts, read 34,480,082 times
Quote:
I agree.

Currently I am wearing 10 year old jeans that have holes at the back pockets. My hair is three colors and needed to be dyed about 4 inches ago. My budget and schedule can't keep up with hair maintenance. The only make up I own is 3 different lip balms.

I am not ugly at all, but I have never been high maintenance with clothing and make up.
I agree with everyone saying to be yourself. At the same time you do want to make sure that you're presenting yourself well, even if your style is casual and simple. Holey jeans and 4 inch roots might not be sending the best impression.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:38 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,017,293 times
A lot of women look beautiful with no makeup. I am not one of those women and I know it.

There's a difference between being low-maintenance and looking like you just don't care about your appearance.

By the way, there is nothing shameful about trying to attract a mate. This has been going on since the cavemen days. It's what keeps the species going.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Old Navy has relatively inexpensive jeans. Or even Walmart. And buy a few nice tops while you're there.

Take the time to read the conditioner bottles in the beauty isle of your local pharmacy/beauty shop/walmart/Target. Pick a good leave-in conditioner for color treated hair as well as a good dry shampoo. Also, spend $5 on a box of hair dye and make your hair uniform.

Unless you have problem skin, just make sure you drink plenty of water, take vitamin C and Omega-3 supplements, and wear a light sunscreen daily.

None of this is terribly expensive or time-consuming.
I struggle with soaps and many personal hygiene products as I am allergic to Coconut. But I also not coordinated and would have no idea what to do with a box of dye. My hair would look very unnatural. Gray is sort of in style so I think I am just going to go for the natural look.

I have a tight budget and buy clothes and shoes for the kids first.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Have you priced makeup? I looked this weekend and they want $15 for a little round thing of powder. The hair dresser charges me over $100 to dye my hair! That is crazy.
I LOVE beauty products (not really makeup too much though) so yes, I'm aware of the going rate for stuff. $15 for a good quality foundation is a steal. I am black with oily/problem skin, so the only thing that looks good on me and doesn't make me more oily is Bare Minerals matte foundation. $32. Luckily I only wear it a few times a month!

Even if you don't wear foundation, a nice mascara will bring out your eyes. I'd suggest eye colors but I have next to no experience in that regard, lol!

Old 12-07-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
A lot of women look beautiful with no makeup. I am not one of those women and I know it.

There's a difference between being low-maintenance and looking like you just don't care about your appearance.

By the way, there is nothing shameful about trying to attract a mate. This has been going on since the cavemen days. It's what keeps the species going.
Honestly I stopped trying to date. I only attract the damaged and I want to stay clear of them. Seriously,... One guy at work leaves his wife of 20 years and asked me out the next day. No thank you...

Old 12-07-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
I LOVE beauty products (not really makeup too much though) so yes, I'm aware of the going rate for stuff. $15 for a good quality foundation is a steal. I am black with oily/problem skin, so the only thing that looks good on me and doesn't make me more oily is Bare Minerals matte foundation. $32. Luckily I only wear it a few times a month!

Even if you don't wear foundation, a nice mascara will bring out your eyes. I'd suggest eye colors but I have next to no experience in that regard, lol!
Oh not me. I needed lip balm last week. 30 minutes reading labels to find very few that contain no coconut. I have grown to hate shopping for food and body products for myself.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
I struggle with soaps and many personal hygiene products as I am allergic to Coconut. But I also not coordinated and would have no idea what to do with a box of dye. My hair would look very unnatural. Gray is sort of in style so I think I am just going to go for the natural look.

I have a tight budget and buy clothes and shoes for the kids first.
try Dudu-Osun black soap. It's all-natural (I don't think it has coconut) and it's actually great for your face and body. Smells like flowers too. Amazon sells it in a 3-pack that doesn't break the bank.

Do you have any girlfriends you can have a "hair night" with? You can each dye each other's hair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty