Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 01:03 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,137,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Too much for whom?

For me? Yes.

But it sounds like you really like it. Don't let us strangers have too much influence.
No everyone brought me back to reality lol I honestly dont have the money. My next check is much less then I thought. Borrowing something to wear will work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 01:38 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,912,106 times
From a man's point of view, any money you spend on a new dress for one date is too much. What is says about you speaks a lot louder than the dress, and its not good. IMHO, most men look way beyond the pretty wrapping to what is on the inside. If what you wear screams that you're insecure, a money waster, and superficial. Most quality men don't want that in a woman they want for a permanent relationship.

Pick out something nice you already own or buy something similar to this that you can use for multiple uses. Don't imitate the girls on Sex in the City. They're all ditzy dames.

Old 02-10-2016, 02:20 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,333,922 times
Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

Because you don't believe you truly deserve someone "decent". If you wanted someone decent you wouldn't be going after the men you're pursuing.

Take time for yourself, learn to love yourself, how to be alone and still be happy.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-10-2016 at 07:56 PM..

Old 02-10-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Because you don't believe you truly deserve someone "decent". If you wanted someone decent you wouldn't be going after the men you're pursuing.

Take time for yourself, learn to love yourself, how to be alone and still be happy.
The guy Im going after now is actually a nice guy who has a job and he genuinely likes me.

yeah thats easy to say but I miss being in a relationship & having someone be nice to me. Plus Id like to have someone to talk to and I eventually want a family. You get that by dating. Im taking it slow so whats wrong with that?

And Im happy I just want to date

Old 02-10-2016, 05:48 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,360,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsadaisy View Post
The guy Im going after now is actually a nice guy who has a job and he genuinely likes me.

yeah thats easy to say but I miss being in a relationship & having someone be nice to me. Plus Id like to have someone to talk to and I eventually want a family. You get that by dating. Im taking it slow so whats wrong with that?

And Im happy I just want to date
Your definition of "slow" may be skewed. You say the guy you're dating now genuinely likes you - but you've known him for what - a couple weeks? He may certainly act like he genuinely likes you, but few women would be sure after two weeks and would hesitate to do much more than agree to another date to see what develops. It can take months to REALLY know someone...THAT'S taking it slow.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:06 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,835,458 times
Anybody sitting down in that dress shouldn't be surprised if people start putting platters of fried chicken and bowls of potato salad in their lap.

Old 02-10-2016, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Anybody sitting down in that dress shouldn't be surprised if people start putting platters of fried chicken and bowls of potato salad in their lap.
Id love that! Lol

Old 02-10-2016, 07:44 PM

6,228 posts, read 3,606,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
From a man's point of view, any money you spend on a new dress for one date is too much. What is says about you speaks a lot louder than the dress, and its not good. IMHO, most men look way beyond the pretty wrapping to what is on the inside. If what you wear screams that you're insecure, a money waster, and superficial. Most quality men don't want that in a woman they want for a permanent relationship.

Pick out something nice you already own or buy something similar to this that you can use for multiple uses. Don't imitate the girls on Sex in the City. They're all ditzy dames.
Oh my God. I wasn't aware the average man could look at a dress and immediately know the price of it, and then would judge the woman wearing it as if he knows what's in her bank account. Also did you click on the link? That dress is the farthest thing from what any character on Sex and the City would wear. There is absolutely nothing that says insecure or superficial about wearing a dress that she likes, that she would wear for her own pleasure when she's not even dating. Do you show up to dates in sweats and sneakers, and judge anyone wearing anything nicer as superficial?

Some of you all must be wearing black robes because you like to JUDGE. She asked about a first date in the Fashion forum and here come armchair psychiatrists telling her who to date or not date based on some past history in another thread posted somewhere that's not even relevant....

OP I know we've already established that you don't have the money, but for what it's worth I think this is a super cute style. I can't believe the people who think we should all go for the same cookie-cutter Sears/Penny's/Macys/Ross/Marshall/Nordstrom/Kohl's look that they tell us is in season every year and what we're supposed to wear based on our age. These vintage clothing sites are exploding online because women want it. Also can't believe people were immediately telling you you couldn't wear it since it's winter without knowing the temperature where you're at. I lived in NC for some years and sometimes it was 80 on Christmas. You can always throw a cute cardigan or feminine jacket over it, esp. in chilly movie theaters. Anyway spring is only 6-8 weeks away and this would be great for that time of year.

I also don't get the people saying you shouldn't be trying to impress someone on the first date. I agree with the poster who said both the man and the woman aim to impress the other. You already know and are attracted to this guy, so the date with him is a mini special occasion. It's not another mundane day of work or shopping for groceries. I may not be a man, but the majority of my circle of friends have been men, and I've done lots of listening and questioning of male friends, coworkers, and female friends' husbands and brothers over the years. A minority of women wear dresses these days (unless it's formal event) so you will make an impression for that alone. Add to the fact that it's a bright color...even more memorable. Believe me they notice. Since you truly like the dress for herself, your energy level will be 'up' anyway.

And try H&M for cheap clothes!

Old 02-10-2016, 07:57 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,869,269 times
Kaphawoman - FYI the OP lives in NC where it's very cold right now, low in teens expected this weekend. Possible snow on Monday. She'd freeze in the dress.

Your suggestion of H&M is a good one!

Old 02-10-2016, 08:05 PM

44,349 posts, read 20,053,982 times
How much someone should spend on clothing is relative. I earn good money at my job, but I wouldn't pay $99 for a dress unless it was for a formal, very special occasion. Someone else may think $99 is cheap.

OP, it doesn't sound as though you can really afford to spend that kind of money on one article of clothing. Purchase something more reasonable and save more of your paycheck. There are a lot of lovely dresses out there for less than $99.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty