Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 05:12 PM

412 posts, read 452,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
So you are older and have wrinkles and suddenly you are not beautiful? What a load of poo, look at it the way my Grandmother always did. She said if you don't get wrinkles you are already dead, which is the better choice?
Points for your Grandma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 05:18 PM

1,038 posts, read 904,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmockingbird View Post
Strange how some of really brighten up, relax, and positively thrive on being -- and looking! -- mature, while most struggle to incorporate aging into their self concept.

One major thing that I believe helps me thrive is I threw away our TV set!

No comparing myself to actresses and advertisements. I just do what's healthy and interesting, and enjoy classic styles and colors that work for me. Not what somebody wants to sell me.

The world is full of pretty young girls. But in dire shortage of vibrant, mature, elegant women. And I get to be one! Woohoo!

I know right

One thing Im finding, more and more, is beauty is sourced from within

If you stride into a room with the confidence and air of amusement you gain from being Advanced Age and still Out There, you're automatically Good Looking.

If you know how to dress and use make up, beauty is within your grasp also

Or at least, the Illusion of Beauty

The older I get the more I realize beauty is both internal and eternal

The wrinkling of the package is something I welcome tbh

Im also experiencing a freedom in fashion I never imagined before

Too many accessories are never enough when you get older Your lips cant be red enough, nails blue enough

Old 01-06-2016, 05:31 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,212,153 times
Once I complemented someone on a picture stating she reminded me of someone I admired as a teacher and writer; all she saw was how much older the lady looked. Now, that is not attractive to me. If we all had to look like we did in our twenties, what a shame that would be!

Old 01-06-2016, 06:07 PM

1,038 posts, read 904,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDocKat View Post
Once I complemented someone on a picture stating she reminded me of someone I admired as a teacher and writer; all she saw was how much older the lady looked. Now, that is not attractive to me. If we all had to look like we did in our twenties, what a shame that would be!
Exactly

some of us find beauty IN the wrinkles

Smooth makes us nervous

Old 01-06-2016, 06:13 PM

15,154 posts, read 27,838,153 times
And do NOT be someone to brag about how young you still look!

Old 01-06-2016, 06:14 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,593,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
I already at the "losing my looks" stage of my life (early 40s) and it's driving me crazy. Every few weeks or so, while looking in the mirror, I happen to notice a new line in face that wasn't there before. The feeling that there's nothing I can really do to combat the wrinkles that have already formed is pretty awful. Today for example, I was standing outside of my car and I saw my reflection in one of the windows. The number 11 between my eyebrows was very noticeable and it made me feel bad. I didn't even have a number 11 a couple of years ago.

And during the last few months I've noticed a more frequent appearance of a stray white hair popping up in random parts of my head. Not gray hair mind you, but white hair.

What makes it all worse for me is that I'm one of those people who always looked younger than they are. Face-wise I still look young (20something) but the few wrinkles/crinkles in my face belie that youthfulness.
You're lucky! White is much more attractive than grey.

Old 01-06-2016, 06:28 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,614,428 times
I haven't really minded because I still look good from a distance! Don't care either way!

Old 01-06-2016, 06:31 PM

26,003 posts, read 22,192,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
And do NOT be someone to brag about how young you still look!
I know what you mean. I'm 61 but I have people close to my age tell me how old they are and say "But, I don't think I look that old do you?" "Ah"

Funnier yet are those that thought they had "looks" but never did but their constant "How do I look?" fell on people who were not comfortable being honest with them. I won't detail my other thoughts here on that.

Old 01-06-2016, 06:36 PM

6,782 posts, read 5,505,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Maybe this should be in the psychology thread, but... Former "beauties," how do you handle the invariable ravages of age?
a
I am a male, but I think I can contribute here.

I USED to be "cute, thin {height/weight proportionate}, had hair,and over all 'good looking'".
Aging is something we all do, and unless you have buckets of money and know a good plastic surgeon, YOU have to learn to adapt and change YOUR perceptions of what "beauty is".

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

The first to go was my hairline, it started receding about the time I graduated HS at 18. I HATED bald men's looks, so now I WAS going to be one. I got used to it as my hair thinned, receded and disappeared. I still have a fair amount of hair, but it is thin or not there in front/on top. SO, MY perceptions of balding/bald men changed.

Next, I have also gained weight due to medications I take, something I NEVER thought I would do,as I had been a skinny minnnie until about age 42. Then, along with the proverbial middle-age spread, I gained a belly and my thighs got fat. So I HAD to get "used to" having "a few extra pounds' or a "beer belly" {though I don't drink beer} and being "{more than} Pleasantly plump". So, MY perceptions of "fat people' changed.

I am now heading for mid-fifties. My beard was going gray a long time ago {again starting about age 42-45}. Because it was red and "Just for Men" doesn't make a red beard coloring, and red hair doesn't take to beards or last long and look good, I HAD to get used to letting it go gray BEFORE I could really color it. SO I had TIME to get used to the gray. It never really bothered me. Once it was mostly gray, i opted for a beard dye of a mild "light medium brown" {their name for it, not mine} to kind of match my light brown hair. BUT by then, my light brown hair was...you guessed it...going gray too at the temples. SO, MY perceptions of gray changed.

I am now, though disabled and get around with a cane, I am embarking on seriously loosing weight, adding more exercise to my daily routine, which will mean i will have some "sag and drag" of skin as I/if I manage to loose the amount of weight I'd want to. So, MY perceptions of "sag and drag" of flabby skin on people who have lost a lot of weight changed.

Wrinkles: well they are just starting around my eyes and i have had an "upside down smile" frown lines for years. preparation H cooling gel {designed to shrink tissues} works well at tightening the wrinkles. it's what Oprah's makeup artist used on her for years, and she was mortified to find out! I don't have a lot of wrinkle,s but I have had skin caner removed from my forehead and skin graft of collar bone skin done to my forehead, so my forehead "doens't look right. I COULD cover it up with concealer, but again, I can't be bothered to do so, and MY perceptions of wrinkles and less than perfect facial skin changed.

AS I have aged, and When I look at people my age, I have changed my perceptions as to what I find attractive in both female and male counterparts. I am NOT an "adonis" and don't expect other men my age to look like one either. I also don't expect females to look like a raving beauty anymore and frankly younger men and women, especially those with good looks turn me off now! Its not that i am jealous, they "just don't do it for me anymore". I get sickened when they show some young stud actor on TV who has an 8 pack of abs! Miss America/Universe women? nah, not my type anymore. MY perceptions of what is beautiful has changed.

I have found out I can no longer keep up with the younger generation, either in walking, ideals, memories, music tastes, etc. SO I am no longer desiring to be "young and hip"....I am rather becoming an "old fogie". I have been to Disney World several times in days of the past-so much so I could give the tour-, but doubt I could walk it again. I have climbed a volcano, but doubt I could do it again. I have enough trouble walking to do my shopping at Walmart, but I am not ready to concede to the electric scooters they provide, if i could even get one not already in use. SO, MY perceptions of "youthfulness desires" have changed.

HAve you noticed a theme here? I and I alone, had to learn to adapt and change my perceptions of what is beautiful and/or what is handsome.

"change is inevitable, adaptation is optional". But stressing over it isn't an option for me.

BEst of luck as you "grow old gracefully".!

Old 01-06-2016, 06:38 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,914,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
I already at the "losing my looks" stage of my life (early 40s) and it's driving me crazy. Every few weeks or so, while looking in the mirror, I happen to notice a new line in face that wasn't there before. The feeling that there's nothing I can really do to combat the wrinkles that have already formed is pretty awful. Today for example, I was standing outside of my car and I saw my reflection in one of the windows. The number 11 between my eyebrows was very noticeable and it made me feel bad. I didn't even have a number 11 a couple of years ago.

And during the last few months I've noticed a more frequent appearance of a stray white hair popping up in random parts of my head. Not gray hair mind you, but white hair.

What makes it all worse for me is that I'm one of those people who always looked younger than they are. Face-wise I still look young (20something) but the few wrinkles/crinkles in my face belie that youthfulness.
Try retinol on your 11s.😎
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty