Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 08:35 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,303,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
I'm going to say it. I'm going to address the elephant in the room. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, the truth is, for men, sagging jeans with underwear showing is a superior and classier and more sophisticated fashion trend then flip flops. I don't care, it had to be said.
Depends on your crowd I guess. I know of at least 10 bars in Chicago that won't let you in with the sagging pants. Not sure, but I think most also prohibit sandals too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 09:04 PM

8,186 posts, read 6,987,732 times
Grown men are perfectly capable of picking out their own clothes/shoes.
My husband could wear flip flops on his head for all I care.

If he's happy, I'm happy.
Flip flop head and all.
And if anyone made fun of the flip flops on his head, I'd kick their butt.

Back to the actual question:
RKStar71, don't do it. flip flops aren't really practical for footwear, anyway.
What if you had to run away from some crazy couple like my husband and me?
You'd be flippin' and floppin' and falling all over the place.

Old 12-01-2015, 02:38 AM

1,485 posts, read 961,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Grown men are perfectly capable of picking out their own clothes/shoes.
My husband could wear flip flops on his head for all I care.

If he's happy, I'm happy.
Flip flop head and all.
And if anyone made fun of the flip flops on his head, I'd kick their butt.

Back to the actual question:
RKStar71, don't do it. flip flops aren't really practical for footwear, anyway.
What if you had to run away from some crazy couple like my husband and me?
You'd be flippin' and floppin' and falling all over the place.
That's my thought too. I can't run in bare feet if I had to run away from something. Flip flops are a hindrance to walking or running or walking on uneven surfaces.
If I'm not wearing boots, I'll wear sneakers, then I'm ready for anything.

I'll address another elephant in the room. It's not so much in CA because everyone and their grandfather wears flip flops here, but where I'm from in PA, most of the flip flop wearers are hot women and gay men. I haven't been back in 5 years but my observation has been when I see couples together, the women may show their feet but not the guys. I know I do not want to see guys feet anyway.

Old 12-01-2015, 05:01 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,232,595 times
I would not wear flip flops. The foot is exposed and this allows access by bacteria and staph. Really need more coverage, particularly if going to public areas. A lightweight running shoe is good.

Your flip-flops can kill you - NY Daily News

Old 12-01-2015, 05:38 AM

20,713 posts, read 16,537,075 times
When in Rome... but maybe it just takes you awhile to "get there". But, if your feet are really grody then thanks for not exposing them!

Old 12-01-2015, 08:37 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,439,530 times
Perhaps your feet are odorous after you wear socks and sneakers in hot weather? That's one explanation. But I think I am hearing that she would prefer you dress more fashionably like the "it" crowd in CA. Compromise. Get some very nice open sandals instead of ffs, don't wear socks in them and keep your feet pedicured but ask her to compromise on the baggy pants. If you feet sweat too much not to wear absorbent socks then tell your wife and make further compromise. Have you thought of getting some fashion advice.

Old 12-01-2015, 08:40 AM
NCN

21,664 posts, read 25,734,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post
I'm more of a sneaker and boot guy. But since I got to CA I noticed a lot of guys wearing flip flops and showing their feet. I may wear them inside the house, at the pool, or while at the beach but generally I don't like to have my feet exposed out in public.
Wife is always wanting me to get flip flops and wear them out in public along with the baggy shorts and tank tops. It's just not a style I'm comfortable with. I'm comfortable in jeans and boots or tactical BDUs and boots or sneakers.
Anyone else has thoughts about this?
I stopped wearing flip flops years ago when I learned how unhealthy and bad for your feet the things are. Maybe compromise with crocs.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:07 AM

7,584 posts, read 5,370,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
have given up trying. I just think he would be so much more comfortable if he would wear at least sandals, but he won't.
Why?!?!?

You think he would be more comfortable? Has be complained about being uncomfortable?

Three things that need to go the way of the DoDo bird, Crocs, Uggs, and flip-flops for all occasions.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:22 AM

16,287 posts, read 32,482,287 times
I wear them all the time. Realize I grew up near the sand. Even now at age 50 flip flops (and we used to call them thongs way back when.) (If you look at them you can probably realize why a thong is called a thong. Looks a lot like the toe area of a flip flop.)

Standard after work attire: Flip flops, shorts, T shirt or short sleeve button up shirt, many times a Hawaiian shirt.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:33 AM

9,884 posts, read 11,045,949 times
Actually, "way back when" we called them SHOWER SHOES!
They were worn in public showers to help avoid spreading athlete's foot!
Whether they actually helped prevent the spread of fungus and germs, I know not!
Back then, they were NEVER worn anyplace else, except maybe the beach or pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty