Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 02:52 PM

170 posts, read 477,845 times

Advertisements

1,600 bucks for a sweater? Wow.....give me that much and I'll stay up day and night making the same one for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 06:11 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,460,396 times
Default BIG $$$ for Clothes

I have subscribed to a beautiful magazine called Town & Country for years, largely because I like to see how some % of the population lives, somewhere -- I have no clue where these people are! NYC, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, the Hamptons?

Twice a year, they have a Spring/Summer and a Fall/Winter fashion issue, and for the fun of it, I totaled the $ amount of what was featured on a page once. Not counting jewelry, the outfit -- a Fall ensemble of beautifully tailored (and expensive-looking) wool slacks, blouse, wool sweater, scarf, and boots cost upwards of $14,000. The model was holding a beautiful wool felt hat in her hands, and a pair of gloves, but I don't think they were priced; nor was any of the jewelry she was wearing. Given that this is for the well-dressed woman, we still haven't taken into account the expense of the hair dresser's or the makeup, or anything else that would have gone into the total 'look' and/or upkeep.

Of course, these are people who travel in private jets, own several multi-million dollar homes, drive cars upwards of $250,000, support chauffeurs and a cleaning staff, personal secretary, personal trainer, and more than likely a pool boy and gardener and household manager and cook. They vacation is places I probably would have some difficulty locating on a map.

Can you imagine?

Didn't The Trump's last wife have a multi-million dollar wedding dress?

Old 02-02-2008, 06:16 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,059,035 times
Yes, she did, and it was TACKY!!!!!! gonna see if I can find a pix, if i can, will post it.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:18 PM

there it is, in all its (sic) glory......

Old 02-02-2008, 06:31 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,460,396 times
UGH. I never really saw the thing like this cover photo from Vogue. Majorly 'tacky,' methinks.

What made it worth -- or rather, cost what it did? Are those diamonds on the thing?

Old 02-02-2008, 06:42 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,470,929 times
What was the sweater made of, it would have to be cashmere wouldn't it?

I bought a sweater one time, expensive for me at the time. It was 15 years ago and I still have it. Its 100% wool, black with an arrangement of roses in colors of pink, mauve and burgundy on it.

I found out a way to shrink the sweater, called felting, then I am going to make the front of it into a pillow. then the arms, I am going to make into mittens for my daughter.

I live in Florida, I have no need of a sweater anymore.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:40 PM

302 posts, read 923,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
What was the sweater made of, it would have to be cashmere wouldn't it?

I bought a sweater one time, expensive for me at the time. It was 15 years ago and I still have it. Its 100% wool, black with an arrangement of roses in colors of pink, mauve and burgundy on it.

I found out a way to shrink the sweater, called felting, then I am going to make the front of it into a pillow. then the arms, I am going to make into mittens for my daughter.

I live in Florida, I have no need of a sweater anymore.

That's a really cool idea!

And I remember that pic of the wedding dress....I think I was attempting to forget it though. Yeesh!

Old 02-02-2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
UGH. I never really saw the thing like this cover photo from Vogue. Majorly 'tacky,' methinks.

What made it worth -- or rather, cost what it did? Are those diamonds on the thing?
its couture, all handmade. I am sure the workmanship is impeccable, but the skirt reminds me of a childs dress, with all that smocking..... yup, them be diamonds, do ya think she made them into something else?

Old 02-03-2008, 06:40 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,416,723 times
Melania's dress was created by Dior and was "rumored" to cost between 100K-200K, not millions. Those were austrian crystals on it, not diamonds.

Last edited by TheImportersWife; 02-03-2008 at 06:50 AM..

Old 02-03-2008, 07:51 AM

253 posts, read 1,107,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Melania's dress was created by Dior and was "rumored" to cost between 100K-200K, not millions. Those were austrian crystals on it, not diamonds.
I remember that her dress was made by Dior. Truth be told I don't remember how much it cost her and what she has put on the dress. I actually kind of like the dress but I definately can be over the top when it comes to fashion. I personally think a wedding dress is a personal thing & I like the idea of having it made to your personal specifications. I remember when I got married I couldn't find anything that I thought rermotely expressed my view so I had my dress made for me too. Of course Dior didn't make & it was only a few thousand dollars versus 100k-200k but it was what I could afford and it was one of a kind. I actually had some crystals (not as many as hers) & some silk rosettes put on the bottom of my dress. I don't think it was over the top though. It actually was rather traditonal with a twist.

The one thing I do think is too much is the design of Trumps Manhattan apartment. I don't get all of that gold. It would hurt my eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty