Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 03:16 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,391,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamboyante View Post
I had an interview today and the guy doing the interview kept glancing at my chest the whole time. I didn't think I was wearing something inappropriate, I mean, I'm not even big chested! Here's what I wore with a Jacket and Pants.

Lace Trim Cami | Ann Taylor

Is it not appropriate???

Is this a troll thread??

No wonder certain factions of the population aren't getting hired despite educational attainment.

I'm no prude. I'm 47 years old. My wife and enjoy going to strip clubs where both of us enjoy seeing women strip to nothing but that's a strip club not a corporate office understand?
Even wearing a suit jacket over the top of it is like putting tape over your nipples and walking around without a top, just don't do it!

The only place I would have hired you wearing that would be at a corner bar as a bar maid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 03:36 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,412,483 times
We may be old fuddies, but we are the age of hiring officials. Senior level employees.

I am sure you looked fine for a date. Not for a job.

I always write down a short note on appearance of candidates. This would be noted, and I would not recommend hiring because if an applicant is dressed provocatively for an interview, what will they wear to work? Who needs the headache of telling someone who wears a cami for an interview, how to dress appropriately for work.

In this climate of EEO, and sexual harassment, you would be a train wreck waiting to happen. A woman may feel harassment by your outfit, or another man. Or you would accuse a man of looking at you wrong... As you have already. It would not matter if you were the most highly qualified applicant, or the only applicant, I would not recommend hire.

Dress is an indication of SES. You are dressing trashy. Not classy or well educated.

I am sure that there are places who would hire you dressed in a cami, but not a large company or any government job.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:55 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,738,778 times
Totally inappropriate for a professional office job interview.

Do you realize that "cami" is short for "camisole" and a camisole is merely an undershirt or a piece of lingerie for a woman? It's only recently that girls started wearing them under blazers or low-cut blouses and thinking it's appropriate.

I would never hire someone who came waltzing in with a "cami" on under a blazer. If you're looking to work in a professional office, dress the part:

Skirt (WITH PANTY HOSE), blazer, tailored blouse (BUTTONED) or

Slacks, blazer, tailored blouse (BUTTONED) or

Dress (WITH PANTY HOSE)

Skirt (WITH PANTY HOSE) and blouse (NOT LOW CUT --- no one is interested in your cleavage)

Old 09-23-2013, 05:59 PM

19,972 posts, read 30,288,148 times
most middle management/executive men love having attractive women around, brightens up the office and a pretty smile relieves stress....

good looks can be a blessing and it can be a curse- some men wont hire an attractive woman, for three reasons, he doesnt trust himself, the other cats in the office will rip her apart, or his wife would just be a jealous mess. if he works late, or travels with her on business.

and yeah, hiring should be on merit and credentials/experience/education/advancement, but we've all seen otherwise..

I use to hire and fire alot, and I was quite amused at some things the women would wear... and yes, i couldnt help but look at one chest, but the high beams were on,,,i was blinded!!

Old 09-23-2013, 06:45 PM

2,633 posts, read 4,059,540 times
As an aside, why ask the question now? This is something you'd ask BEFORE an interview.

Chest size has nothing to do with it. Kate Hudson has sex appeal regardless of her bra size. If you're wearing something that draws attention to certain areas—which the lace does—chances are, the average straight male will notice.

FWIW, I'm in my twenties and still think it wasn't for this occasion.

Old 09-24-2013, 12:39 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,359,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamboyante View Post
What's funny is that the guy was wearing jeans and his favorite sports team t-shirt, which made me feel overdressed for the interview. I think he said it was casual Friday.
Hiya Flam... I think the outfit sounds nice, but for interviews, white shirt & dark suit are the commonplace gear. Chalk it up to a learning experience, although don't write it off 'til you hear back from them with a job offer or are declined. And, I agree with what others have said in that, staring at a woman's chest in the workplace, let alone during an interview, isn't appropriate, professional or considerate... geez... don't these men have sisters, wives, mothers, daughters?! If that is a reflection on how you'll be viewed, then perhaps it's a silver lining should you not be offered or accept the job.

As to the attire, in the future, just wait 'til you actually work at the company to see how others are dressed & then break out the cranberry colored cami with jacket look, if it's commonplace. Always best to err on the side of more conservative, rather than fashion forward. In fact, I've worked in places with very strict dress codes, which I always followed. The styles/colors weren't me, in some cases, at all, but probably like you, I needed the job because my landlords insisted I pay to live there.

For any kind of interview (hairdressing to IT to management), I always wear a cotton, white, button-down shirt with a suit. Most women do. If the entire workplace is casual, as well as my interviewer & I feel absurdly over-dressed, I take off my jacket once I sit down to be interviewed. But, even if I know it's casual Friday, I don't dress down... I want to show I'm businesslike & professional as they don't know me yet aside from a small piece of paper (my CV), so I want to be sure they see a serious contender for the position. I realize a white button-down with a collar shouldn't hold all that power & meaning, but it's been de rigueur for as long as I've been working.

Next time, to be on the safe side, white shirt & suit & you'll do just fine. Best of luck!

Old 09-24-2013, 06:41 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,126,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRedhead View Post
I find that if you have to ask if clothing is appropriate, it usually isn't.
This.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:06 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,318,244 times
Okay, I have to weigh in here.

I consider myself to be very "in the know" when it comes to fashion. I dress well and can coordinate outfits well. People often ask for my advice on what to wear. While I am not 100% sure that cami was appropriate or not (too many factors to consider here), I am surprised at the number of people who called that "underwear". IMO it is not. It is a tank top with lace. Not underwear. Now, if I had decided to wear that cami I would have possible worn it under a button up shirt under a jacket, not as a top itself. But that still doesn't make it underwear to me.

Also, I will be interviewing for a new job in the near future myself, and if I choose to wear a skirt, I will not be wearing panty hose. Do they even SELL them anymore? I don't know anyone under the age of 75 that wears them anymore (and I work in a corporate office setting).

*edit* to clarify...I am speaking specifically about NUDE pantyhose. Just no.

Last edited by ElleTea; 09-24-2013 at 08:26 AM..

Old 09-24-2013, 09:03 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,450,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I consider myself to be very "in the know" when it comes to fashion.
I am surprised at the number of people who called that "underwear". IMO it is not.
I will not be wearing panty hose. Do they even SELL them anymore? I don't know anyone under the age of 75 that wears them anymore (and I work in a corporate office setting).
All I will say is, you aren't that knowledgable about dressing for an interview if this is what you consider such. But don't let us tell you, let real-life experience be your guide.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:29 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,318,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
All I will say is, you aren't that knowledgable about dressing for an interview if this is what you consider such. But don't let us tell you, let real-life experience be your guide.
Well, I didn't say that I would wear that as my only shirt to an interview (I'd consider it for extra coverage under a blouse with a jacket OVER that). But it is NOT underwear. It is a tank top. You still wear under garments UNDER it.

And NO one in my office wears (nude) hose. I haven't since the mid 1990's. My interview for my current job? I wore a spring dress and my legs were bare. I hardly think a teeny bit of lace trim on a tank top would keep someone from getting hired if they were qualified for the job. Some on this thread act as though she showed up in pasties and 7" stripper heels!

Tights in cold weather are another story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty