Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 07:13 AM

240 posts, read 1,291,149 times

Advertisements

Is it appropriate for a female to wear a nice pair of dress slacks and a blouse to a interview? I was alwasys told females should wear a dress or nice suit for a job interview but I know times I changed....but I know dark clothes or good for interviews. What is good interview attire?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 07:23 AM

10,654 posts, read 18,703,130 times
A well fitting suit. Pantsuit is fine, it the office is more conservative (like a law firm) then a skirt suit. Always err on the side of dressing more professional.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:34 AM

42,047 posts, read 75,496,869 times
A suit with a skirt, or a dress and a jacket. Times have not changed on that score.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:45 AM

5,076 posts, read 14,670,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorpe View Post
Is it appropriate for a female to wear a nice pair of dress slacks and a blouse to a interview? I was alwasys told females should wear a dress or nice suit for a job interview but I know times I changed....but I know dark clothes or good for interviews. What is good interview attire?

I have always worn a pant suit and always did well at interviews. You should dress in what your comfortable in as far as business attire goes in. If you don't normally wear dresses then you're going to be uncomfortable and feel out of place. If you normally wear pants, find a nice pant suit with a jacket too and be comfortable.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:57 AM

730 posts, read 2,893,602 times
I think you need to consider what the job is before you decide what to wear.

If I was interviewing for a desk type job in a conservative company I would wear a suit.

If I was interviewing for a job in a more creative field I would go with something less conservative but still appropriate for work.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:12 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,259,409 times
I think it depends upon the job that you are applying for and the area of the country that you are in. For sure I'd wear a jacket or overblouse if you aren't in an area where a full-fledged suit would be expected. If a more formal environment- law office or something- then a suit would be appropriate, IMO.

I wouldn't just wear slacks and a top. If finances are an issue, head to a thrift store. In my area, the Humane Society and domestic violence thrift stores have great professional women's clothing at next to nothing. I think it's because professional women who donate clothes tend to support those causes here.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:52 AM

496 posts, read 1,253,645 times
i agree with other posters about wearing a suit, which I have never done (serious industry.) I wore a suit one time (got the job), and hated every moment of the interview. i kept thinking about my jacket the entire time. my last interview (scored the job too), i wore a cardigan set from ann taylor (pink/orange color), black pants and flat shoes (hate heels). so, go with what you're comfortable with. if you do not mind suits, suit is the best. if you do, go with 2nd best

Old 12-19-2008, 10:58 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,974,295 times
My rule of thumb is if you are interviewing in a "suit" environment, definitely wear the suit.
If it is a "business casual" environment, dress about two steps higher (more businesslike) than what the people wear there day to day. Depending on how "casual" they are, this might mean the whole suit thing, or the jacket/no tie thing. For women this would be a blouse with blazer and dress pants or skirt.

Old 12-19-2008, 05:38 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,036,673 times
Whatever everyone else wears in that enviroment, you should try to "match"---if they wear suits, wear a suit, if they wear slacks, wear slacks!

Old 12-20-2008, 06:59 AM

8,410 posts, read 39,321,489 times
I always wear a modest dress below my knees that isn't tight
Flats
Mascara,face cover, and tinted chapstick
NO PERFUME - never wear perfume to an interview...
Jewelry - watch and small silver or gold studs or very tiny hoops
Breathspray/strips
Unscented lotion to put on my hands 15 minutes before "the shake"
extra pair of nylons and clear nailpolish

I also suggest to get a facial before so you look fresh and alert
Line the inside of your eye with white Kohl Pencil to make them look wide and awake
Curl your lashes to make them look wide and awake
Have a cup of yogi detox tea to flush out circles fast
No coffee or smoking before the interview. An apple or a cup of juice will wake up faster and if you really need that caffeine pop 1/2 a vivarin to avoid caffeine headache.

Dressing for Success - What to Wear on an Interview

^^^ they suggest pants/suits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty