Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 11:24 AM

11,864 posts, read 17,023,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamboyante View Post
Looks like most of you guys didn't notice but in the description it says the cami can be worn as a layer under a sweater AND a jacket.

You're a marketer's dream. Of course they are going to say you can wear it anywhere because they want as many people as possible to buy it, but that does not mean it's appropriate.

Have you seen those snuggie commercials that shows families out at ball games, tailgating, and at the movies in those god awful fleece robe/onsie things? Just because the ad says it's ok does not mean it's a good idea.

By the way, I'm in my early 30s AND I lead an interview team for an agency of hundreds of people. Based on your response, you seem to think you know what's best for an interview, but I bet you've never been on the other side of the table. If you want to play roulette with your professional potential - be my guest. Interview panels love to see those red flags so they don't hire someone that doesn't show good judgment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 11:27 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,934,528 times
Quote:
Looks like most of you guys didn't notice but in the description it says the cami can be worn as a layer under a sweater AND a jacket.

It can, but not at a job interview. You have a lot more leeway when you have the job. But you want to stay covered up in the interview phase.

On an autocorrecting iDevice.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:28 AM

451 posts, read 770,886 times
I find that if you have to ask if clothing is appropriate, it usually isn't.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:30 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,934,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It's not even just magazines. A lot of TV shows or movies with characters who work in corporate environments wearing ridiculous outfits to work. I saw something a few weeks ago set in a law office that had a female lawyer wearing some sort of slinky cocktail dress with a midriff cutout. During the day. Most people know better than to dress like that, but if you didn't you'd be heading on the wrong track looking for examples.
I think Scandal and the Good Wife do a good job of showing appropriate clothing for corporate America. And Covert Affairs.

On an autocorrecting iDevice.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:33 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,448,407 times
Quote:
I had an interview today and the guy doing the interview kept glancing at my chest the whole time. I didn't think I was wearing something inappropriate, I mean, I'm not even big chested! Here's what I wore with a Jacket and Pants.

Lace Trim Cami | Ann Taylor

Is it not appropriate???
Not for an interview, and not by itself ever. My daughter wears these under blouses at work.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I do also feel, with the additional information given, that a workplace that sends in an interviewer who is wearing jeans and a football jersey "because it's casual Friday" and stares at women's chests in the course of the interview is probably NOT a place that needs to be too picky about interviewees wearing demure button-ups. It sounds like a workplace that is neither particularly conservative nor particularly classy.
Many many organizations have dress-down Fridays to lift morale among the employees. Just because the hiring manager wore jeans does not mean the interviewee shoould have bee dressed-down also.

I've been to many interviews on a Friday, usually at an out-of-town location so I could spend the night before interviewing and then traveling back home, and nearly all those interviewers wore jeans while I wore a suit. I never once thought they should have worn a suit too. It's them hiring me, not me deciding if I want to work for them! LOL

Old 09-23-2013, 11:51 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,742,639 times
I am 27 years old and even I would say that it is an inappropriate fashion choice. I'm not *ahem* old. While I don't think that he should have looked, I also don't think that would make me feel uncomfortable around him since that is where the shirt is drawing attention to... I don't think the dude is necessarily a pig or that you should feel uncomfortable/hope to not interact with him much. It could also be his eyes were drawn there and he is asking himself, "Why the heck did she think this was appropriate?"

Old 09-23-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Yes, we saw it, but maybe you didn't notice the model was also wearing jeans. Would you wear jeans to an interview?

Quote:
Judging by the responses, it sounds like most of you answering in this thread are probably a little... ahem...older.
Um, yes, and more experienced in what hiring managers want to see.

Quote:
...this guy is the head of the department and is the one doing all the interviews. This is a big IT security company whose customers are mainly government and international organizations ... I don't know how comfortable I will be working with him if hired.
I daresay you won't have to worry about working with him.

Quote:
I take it that some of you are probably just confused: Hanky Panky 'Signature Lace' Camisole | Nordstrom
Nah, you are the only one confused here. Good luck on your job search; you're sure going to need it.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:59 AM

5,333 posts, read 8,562,173 times
I think lace trim in that area creates a mental association with lingerie for many people. It would be different than having lace trim on the end of the sleeves, for example. So even if the camisole technically did not reveal your cleavage, the lace itself could be distracting to some people.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:06 PM

11,762 posts, read 14,681,526 times
What was inappropriate was the behavior of the guy who was interviewing you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty